Any Bouygues SIM network experience??

Old Jan 14th, 2020, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Any Bouygues SIM network experience??

Hi all,
This past June I had a Orange 20 gig SIM card for two weeks in southern France and is was fantastic. No issue getting it set up (occurred automatically when I popped in in my phone) or with connectivity in any way. This card only has 120 minutes of talk time.

I'm thinking about getting a 20 gig Bouygues SIM card from simoptions.com because they have unlimited calling within France and I think I may need it. Yes, I know I can use apps like WhatsApp but I plan on needing to call a fair amount of landlines so can not plan on using that sort of app for this type of calling. You get unlimited text/talk within France and a 25 Euro credit for text/calls back to the US.

Does anyone have any experience with the Bouygues Vacation X SIM card? Was it seamless to set up and did you incur any issues while using it in France? With regard to connectivity, texting etc.? Thanks in advance for any response.

Best,
wvdthree
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 07:23 AM

I haven't used the Bouygues Vacation X SIM card specifically but we use the Bouygues network every year when we are in France-we buy the B&YOU plan once we land. That plan is getting harder to buy now though because you have to order it virtually and have the SIM sent to a French address. But the network itself was fine-we had coverage everywhere we went with no issues.
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks jpie, can I ask where you are flying into and buying your B&You SIM card? At CDG? I liked having my Orange card sent to me at my home in the US so I had it with me and was able to immediately pop it into my phone upon landing. So, no down time trying to locate a vendor and getting it installed. Thanks in advance for any response.

Best,
wvdthree
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 05:50 PM

Hi there:

Well we haven't done it yet but our plan is to actually have my sister-in-law get the SIM sent to her in Paris this time in March 2020. I should have been clearer in my post that we have always used that plan in the past and loved it but now it looks like in order to get that plan you have to order it by mail and have it delivered to you somewhere in France.

Back in the day we used to just go to a Bouygues Boutique in Bordeaux when we arrived, but the last time I tried that in Paris back in 2019 they told me that they will longer let you to sign up for that plan at the stores and you have to order it by internet and have the SIM delivered to you. So we had to switch to the Orange card you used. It was fine, but a lot more money and we particularly found that we had difficulty topping it off-sometimes the codes wouldn't work, etc.. I think the new Bouygues Vacation X SIM is meant to compete with that plan. But that plan and the Orange plan are much more expensive than the B&You plan if you need a plan to travel outside of France, and/or for more than 30 days-especially data. The Bouygues Vacation X SIM is 20GB of data to use in France and Europe, for €39.90 and Call & text credit expires 30 days after first use. Since we stay 3-6 months those plans aren't great for us.

The
B&You plan is a non-contract plan and for 19 €99/mois you get 100 GB with 10 GB that can be used outside of France in Europe. And it doesn't have the 30 day time limit. Or they have plan for even more data at 25 Euros. But I think the "gotcha" is that you have to order it by internet and have the SIM delivered in France-I don't think they will deliver outside of France. I know last year when I tried to order from the US they "blocked me" even when I tried using a VPN. Since we have family in France we are going to try to have them sign up for us this year.

So I am sorry I don't have great advice for you on the B&You plan. We are going to try to order it for the first time this March-so I will post here and let you know what happens. But if you are only staying less than 30 days then I think the Bouygues Vacation X SIM should be a good plan-the network is very good everywhere we have traveled with it in France and also worked fine outside of the country.