Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any border restrictions due to Foot & Mouth?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 05:03 PM
t

I'm reposting my question, since there wasn't any response initially. We'll be in Europe mid-April. The first night will be in a hotel near Colmar, France. A couple nights later we'll be in Salzburg, where we have reservations at a farm rental for 3 nights. How tight are things getting at this point in Europe on the continent with respect to FMD? Should we reconsider that first night in France, or possibly give up staying on the farm?

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 06:03 PM
StCirq

I watch French news nightly and read French newspapers daily, and I've heard nothing about French citizens or tourists in France getting stopped crossing European borders because of H&M disease. Lorries carrying livestock are being stopped for obvious reasons. And people coming into France from England are being stopped and disinfected, but that's all I've heard and read. If you've been on a French farm and are entering another European country, IF there is a border patrol (and there usually isn't these days), DO stop and tell them that you've been on a French farm, in the interests of everyone. If there isn't, consider buying some bleach and bleaching whatever shoes you wore at the farm. Also wash your clothing with bleach before you wear it again in Austria. This may sound Draconian, but I have my doubts that the Austrians are dealing with this problem, and any precautions you can take are probably for the good. Certainly don't cancel your trip, though, YOU're not in any danger.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 06:10 PM
traveler

First of all, we wouldn't dream of canceling our trip!!! We're going!!! Also, while in France, we'll just be in a hotel. It is later on the trip that we'll be on a farm, in Austria. We were just worried that if the Austrian farmers learned that we'd been in France they'd rather not have us there. Hopefully, France's cases of H&M will be contained, and we won't be anywhere near them. Whatever happens in the next couple weeks, tho, we will use good conscience and do what is right. We certainly wouldn't knowingly spread any dangers. We are just so excited to be going!!!!!! We've waited years for this trip!

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 06:24 PM
Rex

I posted a single news story from 4 or 5 days ago, about ONE bus line that had stopped running between Strasbourg and Kehl (Germany), because there were frequent delays of 20-30 minutes at the French-German border for tire disinfection. Not a word about crossings being restricted per se. <BR> <BR>Something this minor could happen even with a traffic accident (a 20-30 minute delay). <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 08:12 PM
Florence

The only restrictions at the border are a ban on every uncooked meat and dairy products from France, England, and the Netherlands. <BR> <BR>As long as you haven't been in a farm in a contaminated area, you shouldn't even need to mention your coming from France.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 04:33 AM
t

Glad to hear it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks!