Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any advice on possible trip to Barcelona & Cote d'Azur?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next summer, my family and I are thinking about taking a trip to Spain and France. We are thinking that we would fly to Barcelona then drive from there along the southern coast of France where we would drive as far as Monaco. Along this drive we'd like to make stops in various places throughout the Cote d'Azur. About how many days would you recommend staying in Barcelona? Should we should spend a day in each place we stop along our way to Monaco? Should we spend the night in each place? Finally, which places would you recommend stopping at along our drive from Barcelona to Monaco? We're considering Cannes, St. Tropez, Nice, Antibes, Eze, Montpellier, and Marseille. Thanks.
Old May 7th, 2008, 03:55 AM

For renting a car in Spain and returning this in France will cost a bomb.

Try taking a rental from Barcelona to Figueras and turn in the car. Then take the train to Argeles, France and rent another car.

With all of the money you're going to save, visit to see Collioure, Banyuls, Port Vendres, and Argeles Plage.

Here's a few photos about the area I noted.

http://www.pyreneesmediterraneanliving.com/

This will give you a different view of the Mediterranean coast of France. Not better, not worse, it's just different.

Blackduff
Old May 7th, 2008, 04:02 AM

You don't say how many days you are staying, however, many of the towns you mentioned are very close to each other and could be easily explored from one point. For example if you stay in Nice you could easily go to Eze for the day - you wouldn't have to make that another stop.
I would include Coulliere (I always spell this town wrong) (lovely sea side town) upon entering France and you could explore the beaches there and the Perpignan area (great muscat). I would also keep Marseille - super city with great energy.
Fabulous beaches in St. Tropez so I would make that a keeper as well.
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:31 AM

it may be cheaper to fly Vueling from Barcelona to Nice. Rent a car in Nice and visit Cote from there.
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:13 AM

The drive along the coast from just a tad north of Collioure to Nice is not scenic, IMO, except for a short stretch from Agay (north of St Raphael) to La Napoule.

I would do one of two things;

1. Take the train from Barcelona to Montpellier & only visit the Cote d'Azur. This should take 10 to 15 days to get a good feel.

2. After Barcelona, visit the Costa Brava in Spain, dump the car in Figueres & take a train to Argeles, rent a French car there, explore that region (as previously noted) - including the southern Pyrenees. Then take the freeway all th way to the Cote d'Azur.
This should take 14 to 20 days.

Stu Dudley
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

At this point we're not sure of an exact number of days we'd spend on the trip. However, we'd definitely keep it under fourteen days. Depending on where we stop throughout the Cote d'Azur my guess on how many days we would spend on this trip is probably about anywhere from ten to twelve days.
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

How long would the train ride be if we took one from Barcelona to Montpellier?
Old May 8th, 2008, 05:54 AM

4 hours
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:34 AM

We have stayed in Villefranche sur Mer and used it as a base to visit Monaco, Eze, etc. - it's a lovely smaller seaside village with excellent restaurants and a few interesting sights of its own.  I highly recommend this place for your Cote d'Azur base.

This fall we are planning to visit Provence, then drive down the Costa Brava and base in the Palafrugell/Llafranc area where we will make day trips to Figueres, Cadaques, Girona, etc.  Then on to Barcelona where we will stay 5 days. 
The drop off fee for renting the car in France and dropping it off in Spain is $360.  Steep yes but as I noted in another thread, after exploring options of turning in car over a weekend and taking train and renting another car - we decided it was worth it because it will save us some exploring time and will be more hassle-free. And we're all about less stress!
Old May 8th, 2008, 09:24 AM

Oh this is a trip I keep trying to plan! If you have not been to Barcelona before I would suggest maybe 4 nights - depends on how long you are planning for the whole trip but there is alot to see in Barcleona. Then maybe on to Couillure, like another poster suggested. I think next is the Carmouge which has some interesting wildlife and Cassis with the callenques? and ending up in Nice or nearby. I guess how many nights in each place depends to some extent on your travel style but Barcelona and Nice are both worth 4 or 5 nights. Have a wonderful trip, I hope to do this myself one of these years.
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:51 AM

Last year we went to Barcelona from Paris, and meant to stay there five days. However, we discovered Salou, an hour's train-ride down the coast. Lovely city, much cheaper than Barcelona, so we trained up to tour and then went back to a lovely beach and nice light show at night. We flew EasyJet down and Vueling back. Be aware that their luggage allowances are much lighter than Amerlican limits, and they charge for extra weight. Carry-on is limited to one small bag.