Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any advice for a pregnant woman travelling to St Petersberg?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 06:39 AM
naghmeh liotta

Hi all. My husband andI will be travelling to St Petersberg on 7 Sept 2001 for a friend's wedding. We are staying with friends in an apartment and not a hotel. I'll be four months pregnant and would like to have a few tips on what to eat or avoid? how much truth is there in drinking bottled water and washing your teeth in bottled water? Is it realy neccessary to take toilet paper? any other Pregnant women who have travelled there? I'd love to hear from anyone with good advice. thanks

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 07:41 AM
Gretchen

I'm definitely not pregnant but DO NOT drink any of St. Pete's water--it is full of giardia. Take toilet paper--a pretty good way to do it is when the roll gets near the end, slip the tube out and flatten the roll. Do not go out of the apartment without it!! Food should be fine--can't think of any problem. It is a wonderful city and the Russians are a fantastic people. Take a little dictionary--you can get a lot of communication by pointing to a word.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 07:47 AM
Marc David Miller

I would keep the number of English-speaking (and western standard) medical care handy: <BR> <BR>ST. PETERSBURG <BR>Phone: +7 (812) 326 1730 <BR>Emergency Phone: +7 (812) 326 1730 <BR>Fax: +7 (812) 326 1731 <BR>10, Serpukhovskaya St., <BR>198013 St Petersburg, Russia <BR>[email protected] <BR>www.amcenters.com <BR>

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 08:43 AM
xxx

Something that occurred to me as I was reading your post, Naghmeh. If you would happen to need medical care, would you feel safe in a Russian hospital?

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 10:27 AM
travellyn

I've never been to St Petersberg, but I've done quite a bit of travelling while pregnant (twice). Here's some random advice: <BR>1) Never turn down the chance to use a toilet <BR>2) Keep snacks/sandwiches with you in case you're in a situation where you can't get any food for a few hours (e.g. crowded train when the cocession car runs out of food) <BR>3) Wear maternity clothes even if you don't quite need them yet; people will be much nicer to you - even to the point of the ridiculous <BR>4) Don't try to snorkel. (Oh, I guess that situation probably won't come up.)