Reload this Page >

Antique flee markets in paris any good?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 06:52 PM
holly

just wondering if they are worth a visit...

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 08:02 PM
lynn

Hi Holly- <BR> <BR>Frankly, I would skip the big one at Porte Clingacourt (sp? it's on the northern perimeter). Too huge with way too much new stuff. The antique section is very, very expensive. I'm sure you could find something if you looked hard enough but I don't think it's worth the effort. <BR> <BR>My husband and I go to lots of flea markets, garage sales, and auctions (every weekend, usually both days) and we prefer the market south of the city center. It's called Porte de Vanves (again exact spelling unsure but check your metro map, you'll recognize the stop name. I don't have my map handy or I'd look it up.) <BR> <BR>This one is a much smaller scale and more manageable to cover. Also, the merchandise is 90+% old, older, oldest. Lots of antiques and they were much more willing to haggle than the other market. And haggling is essential. Otherwise, what's the point? That's half the fun. <BR> <BR>My husband collects watches and he bought 4 old (50's and 60's) French makes for about $50 US (that's for all 4.) I bought a cut crystal vanity bottle with a brass lid (about 6" tall, 1.5" in diameter) for $20 US. Both very good deals. I highly recommend the Vanves (sp?) market. <BR> <BR>Might I ask what you are expecting to find? I may be able to help with suggestions. <BR> <BR>Here's to Good Treasure Hunting!

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 08:02 PM
lynn

Hi Holly- <BR> <BR>Frankly, I would skip the big one at Porte Clingacourt (sp? it's on the northern perimeter). Too huge with way too much new stuff. The antique section is very, very expensive. I'm sure you could find something if you looked hard enough but I don't think it's worth the effort. <BR> <BR>My husband and I go to lots of flea markets, garage sales, and auctions (every weekend, usually both days) and we prefer the market south of the city center. It's called Porte de Vanves (again exact spelling unsure but check your metro map, you'll recognize the stop name. I don't have my map handy or I'd look it up.) <BR> <BR>This one is a much smaller scale and more manageable to cover. Also, the merchandise is 90+% old, older, oldest. Lots of antiques and they were much more willing to haggle than the other market. And haggling is essential. Otherwise, what's the point? That's half the fun. <BR> <BR>My husband collects watches and he bought 4 old (50's and 60's) French makes for about $50 US (that's for all 4.) I bought a cut crystal vanity bottle with a brass lid (about 6" tall, 1.5" in diameter) for $20 US. Both very good deals. I highly recommend the Vanves (sp?) market. <BR> <BR>Might I ask what you are expecting to find? I may be able to help with suggestions. <BR> <BR>Here's to Good Treasure Hunting!

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 05:23 AM
kathy

<BR>I concur with Lynn's choice - can't remember how to spell it either. We were there on 5/15 and spent a leisurely 3-4 hours browsing up and down the aisles. This smaller flea market has many treasures and they bargain. Easy access by the Metro and the area was a comfortable one - near the Metro and on the busline. A piece of advise given to us: the permanent stalls - you'll know what I mean when you see them - at occupied by long-time sellers. The things on rugs on the grass are from the newer dealers. I saw things at both that were tempting for me. We made several souvenier purchases: a bank, a matchbox, and a silent butler - all under $20USD. Whether they are GREAT prices or not, they are great memories of another fun day in Paris. Although we went early, some of the stalls closed up and went away about 1PM. Enjoy the hunt! <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 06:14 AM
elvira

Yipes! The secret is out! The flea market at Vanves is the best one for real "flea market" stuff. I have found old decorating books, a copy of Tante Marie, weird cooking utensils, knickknacks, bone-handled knives, and really bad, tacky, gaudy jewelry. <BR>It's the #13 metro line, on rue George Asnier (or some such spelling). <BR>Most of the dealers speak some English, a majority speak very good English, so it's easy to bargain. Look for the boxes on the ground "toutes/tous 10 ff". Anything in the box is yours for 10 francs. <BR>Clignancourt is a sightseeing adventure, like going to the Louvre. Somehow, I don't travel to Paris to buy Louis XV bombe chests for $60,000. <BR>There is supposed to be a clothing flea market somewhere (rue Aliere? something like that) but I've never found it.

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 07:10 PM
Leslie

I would get out of a death bed for a good shopping experience. Knowing that, my sister told me that Clignancourt was THE flea market to attend for the ultimate Parisian experience. It was truly formidable. I loved every minute of it BUT, there were no bargains. Never having been to a flea market, I was under the mis-impression that merchandise there was "cheap". Shocking error on my part. What you will find are many one of a kind items. There are some charming, inexpensive things but it may take you all day to find them. <BR>I appreciated the feedback from those who liked the Vanves market. <BR>I had a recent shopping episode that maybe SOMEDAY I will laugh about. French deodorant is not as long lasting as in the US. Do sniff the armpits of any garments that may have had a lot of try-ons! I have a "bargain" designer jacket that would probably clear a room faster than yelling "fire". I bought it in a rush and didn't notice the aroma until the first time I wore it. I was mortified. My dry cleaner says there is no way to remove it. I bought it from a highly recommended shop a stone's throw from the Elysee Palace. Sniff first. <BR>

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 09:18 PM
lynn

Hi Again - <BR> <BR>Yes, there were some interesting finds at that market but it seemed to me anything worthwhile started at $1,000. In addition, they had a large section devoted to new clothes and whatnot. I can see that at my markets near home. <BR> <BR>For my husband and I (he's been doing markets for 30+ years and I have been doing them for 10+), we are usually looking for unique and/or collectible type items in the under $100 range. <BR> <BR>I am re-encouraging anyone reading this to try the Vanves (sp?) market next time in Paris. As Kathy indicated, if you want to get the best deals and selection, arrive early. We got there at 7 a.m. and even earlier wouldn't be unheard of. At some of our local markets near home it is not unusual to see people with flashlights looking at people's stuff as they unload. Again, this is how the best deals are had. <BR> <BR

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 09:18 PM
lynn

Hi Again - <BR> <BR>Yes, there were some interesting finds at that market but it seemed to me anything worthwhile started at $1,000. In addition, they had a large section devoted to new clothes and whatnot. I can see that at my markets near home. <BR> <BR>For my husband and I (he's been doing markets for 30+ years and I have been doing them for 10+), we are usually looking for unique and/or collectible type items in the under $100 range. <BR> <BR>I am re-encouraging anyone reading this to try the Vanves (sp?) market next time in Paris. As Kathy indicated, if you want to get the best deals and selection, arrive early. We got there at 7 a.m. and even earlier wouldn't be unheard of. At some of our local markets near home it is not unusual to see people with flashlights looking at people's stuff as they unload. Again, this is how the best deals are had. <BR> <BR