Antique Ceramics in Paris?

Sep 19th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Antique Ceramics in Paris?

I'll be in Paris at the end of the week, my third visit, for a few days of research.

I'm looking for a high-quality small piece, preferably antique, to give to a dear friend who owns a ceramics store in Japan when I see her at New Year's.

Back in 2001, other posters recommended shops on the rue de Paradis in the 10eme, the Cour Damoye near the Place de la Bastille, and Maison Ivre (38, rue Jacob in the 6eme). The latter looks like it's worth checking out, and I'll walk around the other two streets a bit. Recommended also was a place with Mexican pottery, Cote Hacienda, 14, rue de Birague, which I'll check, too. It's just south of my hotel, and, as I spent part of my youth in Mexico City, I always like to see how other cultures interpret my adopted home town. But I'm hoping for a piece from France or perhaps Spain, which I'll visit in November. As I've already got a full schedule I'd like to avoid a trip outside Paris, e.g., to Sèvres, unless that's necessary.

The old post is here: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...mics-paris.cfm

I haven't found any other threads on the forums since then.

Anyone have ideas for other places with antique ceramics?

Thanks for reading this!
Sep 19th, 2011, 07:58 AM

Galerie Arcane – www.galeriearcanes.com
Laure Selignac – www.laureselignac.fr
Atelier Souchet – www.ateliersouchet.com
Sep 19th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, StCirq, I'll check out the links.
Sep 19th, 2011, 08:53 AM

Could also try Louvre des Antiquaires, across from Louvre on Rue Rivoli. Lot of high end dealers of all types of art and antiquities.
Sep 19th, 2011, 10:15 AM

I agree with Michel, Louvre ds Antiquaires would be greant. There are also a few shops along Rue ST Paul in the Marais that might have something for you!
Sep 19th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Michel_Paris and avalon, Sounds great. I'll check out the Louvre des Antiquaires, as well as rue St-Paul. Thanks!
Sep 19th, 2011, 11:42 AM

Galerie Arcane is in the Louvre des Antiquaires (as well as in Versailles).
Sep 19th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the links.

Galerie Arcanes has some beautiful pieces. I will email the owner, Mme Fouchet and will make the time to see her if she's available the days I'm in Paris. FWIW, the French version of her site notes that due to the significant drop in visitors to the Louvre des Antiquaires she's available at her gallery in Versailles and by appointment at her office in Paris.

I haven't even started packing for France yet and I'm already regretting having to leave Paris at the end of my too-brief stay.