Antiparos ,Greece

Apr 9th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Antiparos ,Greece

Hi, i'm a Norwegian who can reed english, but as you can see, i can not write english...SORRY, but please dontgive up on me! I'm 40 years old and going alone to Antiparos for this summer. I would like some good tips about hotels and restaurants. I can recomand this site to others planing to go to Greece islands:
http://www.islandstrolling.com/norwegian/index.htm
I hope you mabee have some weeb site to rekomend for me. Amalie
Apr 9th, 2007, 09:18 AM

Island Strolling is one of the best websites on Antiparos - maybe that's why there are so many Norwegian visitors. Here is another one: http://www.antiparos-isl.com/2006/index.html.

When are you arriving? I'll be there myself the first two weeks of June. For restaurants: Yannis Place or Margarita for breakfast, Yorgis for dinner. There are many other good restaurants around the harbour and on the street leading to the kastro and square. Stillwaters, a well known restuarant at Apandima, opened another restuarant in the village last year.

For hotels, there are a wide range of small, family run domatia (rooms), clean, with private shower/WC. For something a bit more luxurious, Artemis or Kouros Village near the harbour.
Apr 9th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Hi
Tanks for qiuik answer! Do you speek Noewegian? Can I ansvwer you in norwegian? I'm gone stay there from 22.june until 19. july. I want to stay on the most sentral place on the harbour. Since Im staing so long I will try to get a cheep room as possible. Jan Bergtun said I shold vailt booking room until i get there. But I like to look an have som places to look for at my aravial. Amalie
Apr 9th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

http://www.angelfire.com/super2/greece/
This is also a nise page form a dutch man
And http://www.antiparos.no/ is a great site for people who can reed Norwegian...
And theresturants you are talking about looks great. I'm been surfing around on the internett all day to find things about Antiparos.
Apr 9th, 2007, 10:17 AM

Amalie, all my grandparents came from Norway, but I'm ashamed to say I can't speak the language. Although I've never met Jan, I'm a big fan of his website. Apparently he was sitting at the next table from me at Yannis one day a few years ago, but I didn't know until after he left.

I usually stay at Mikes Place, which would be just what you are looking for, but unfortunately it is closed for renovation this year. Lilian, the owner, has recommended to me either Paloma or Delfini, both which are on the website I gave you earlier. Actually Antiparos village is so small it doesn't matter much where you stay. Everything is only a five or ten minute walk away. Just don't book anything in Soros or Ag Georgios, as they are outside the village.

I think Jan is right that you can get a better rate if you wait until arrival, but you could also book a room in advance for the first few days, the look around when you get there.
Apr 9th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Tank You again I think I have to stay at the habour. I'm afraid to walk alone in the dark, and they said that would be the best place if I was alone. And they rekomended 2. floor just to feel safe even Greece is probably the most safe land to travel in. I will probably meet this famous Jan Bergtun. He said he would be there at the same time as me. He actually is there now. To selebrate greec ester, we get wonderfull reports almost every day from him. They also said it s best to stay in the harour because of the mosqitos. More vind thei said. I think I'd would like to book the first nigts. Then I can take good time the next days to find a perfekt stay for my long stay. First time I travel alone, so I'm very exitet. Can't hardly vait until I get there
Ps.Tank you for reeding this poor english! You impress me, you most be a paitent man;-) Amalie
Apr 9th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Maybe you can fix this hotel before I'm coming downMIKE'S PLACE STUDIOS AND APARTMENTS
In the evening the lamps on Paros and the small ferry that's sailing between Pounta (on Paros) and Antiparos make it feel like something out of a science-fiction movie. The honesty, sincerety and friendliness of the people that live there move me every time I go back. We found an apartment on a spot right on the beach with no road in front (so only the birds, the sea, the beach and the silence) with an extremely nice lady called Lillian, who rents both studios and rooms at a good price (cheap!!). It's called Mike's Place (0030 22840 61217) - closed in 2007 for renovation - , and she has the best views in Antiparos village. If you are on the ground floor you have a terrace in the garden and if you are on the first floor you have a balcony, and a big table where you can have breakfast, or just a drink. You can also go and sit on the pier in front of the house and be in the middle of the sea. It's very likely I'll be your neighbour, because this is a place I return to every year. . YES HERE I'D LIKE TO STAY!
Apr 9th, 2007, 11:40 AM

Amalie, I have been staying at Mike's Place every year for the last eight years or so, but this year it will be CLOSED for renovation. Lilian is planning to convert the hotel into four apartments, and the work will be done by a Norwegian who runs a company called Hellashus. Also, since you don't like walking in the dark, it wouldn't be a good place for you. To get there you must walk on a dirt path, and once past Kouros Village there are no street lights.

Rather than staying around the harbour, why not look for somewhere right in the middle of the village? The Gallini Hotel is owned by Pavlos, who has his restaurant in the same building. There are many other small hotels just off the main street, which wouldn't require walking in the dark. you can check location by the little map on the pages of http://www.antiparos-isl.com/2006/index.html.
Apr 9th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Sorry! I was just trying to be funny. I do understand that its closed. I sent an E- mail to This last place you rekomended and ask for a price That did look very nice! I just hope there vil not be a big problem with the mosqito. Akording to many people that can be a problem if you dont stay on the harbour. But tank you for yor ansvers! Amalie
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:02 PM

Sorry, I missed the joke. I guess your smileys should have tipped me off.

Regarding mosquitos, there is nowhere on the island you can get away from them (this is a problem everywhere in the Greek Islands - not just Antiparos). I always bring mosquito repellant with me, and put it on before going out in the evening. Rooms on the harbour may b slightly better, but not mosquito free. If your room is air-conditioned then you won't have to worry. Otherwise you can buy spray or mosquito coils to use before you go to bed. Sleeping with the window open is possible only if it has a screen.
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

ANTIPAROS VILLAGE
Antiparos village is the only settlement of some substance on the island and it's quite an attractive one, build around a 14th century old Kastro (fortress), with no cars allowed inside the village, the friendliest people, a nice harbour and 7 to 8 beaches within walking range. It's nice for making walks, with beautiful nature, a surprisingly green surrounding of the village, and with wonderful views of the island of Paros and other small islands that are scattered around it. You can walk even through the sea to some of these other islands, like to Diplo, which is opposite the naturist beach (a walk of about 10 minutes), or to Despotiko on the southside of the island. Life in Antiparos town is relatively inexpensive. Renting an appartment or a room, eating out, the supermarkets, renting a car or a bike (if you want to go to the more quiet south side of the island, which also has a lot of beaches), everything is cheap, and everything is beautiful. In the village there's lots of trees, bougainvilles and plants. There are a couple of very nice souvenir-shops and a lot of restaurants and bars. I cannot think of one negative thing about this island. It's my absolute number one. It cannot be compared to other places we've visited, because it's different from all the other islands. Sometimes you wonder if you are not walking on another planet instead of another island. It's not just the landscape or the fact that Antiparos village is so cosy, it's also the inhabitants that make the island. They ar so friendly to eachother and to the tourists. Everybody is accepted the way they are. They love children and doggies, and treat the older people with the utmost respect. Because the island is relatively small everybody knows everybody and it seems sometimes it's like one big family living on the island. This must have been what the 'make love not war' feeling was in the 60's .......next time I must wear a flower in my hair, haha .
THE KASTRO
The capital, Antiparos or Kastro, stands around the original nucleus of a medieval castle, which was build around 1440. This is the time at which the island came into the hands of Maria Somaripa, who married the nobleman Lorentano. He brought farmers to Antiparos at his own expense, and built the castle near the sea. After Lorentano, Domenico Pisani took over in 1480, but the Lorentano family returned in 1537. The same year the castle fell into the hands of Barbarossa. The island passed completely into the ottoman empire in 1556. From 1770-1774 Antiparos was held by the Russians, as was Paros. In 1794 a gang of Maiots and Cephallonias slaughtered the inhabitants and the island was deserted for a time. In 1821 the island took an active part in the revolution against the Turks. Sited at the end of the highstreet, the kastro is a rectangular structure with houses lining the inside walls. In the years since it has been painted white, the top storey has gone, and windows and doors have been let into the outside wall. As a result it's hard to recognize as a castle on the outside. On the south however there is an unpainted Gothich archway, the original single doorway in the walls. This is still the only entrance nowadays. Once inside it's better to imagine what it must have looked like. You will find a nice courtyard, the old houses, a pretty little church, some walls in it's original state, and the old well in the middle of it all and of all the tranquillety.
There's a restaurant situated on both sides of the main road, called taverne Yorgis, that's just fabulous. The food is always tasty and the daughter and son (Garifalia and Bennos) that work outside on the terrace ar super: fast, friendly and funny. We always look forward to seeing them and their parents, but we don't look forward to the extra kilo's we always gain, haha. You will have no problems finding it. There are chairs and tables on both sides of the road and it's always busy. Once you have eaten there you won't find the need to eat anywhere else. At least: we don't.
yorgis Taverna in Antiparos Town.
If there is there anything close to perfection in the restaurant department of the Cyclades than this restaurant is it. Yorgis Taverna has been about our favorite restaurant evensince we set foot on the island of Antiparos. It can be found on two sides of the main street that leads off the harbour towards the village square. The food here is honest, with simple yet tasteful dishes that are mostly home-made, the prices are low and the service is perfect. The bread for Yorgis is made by the bakery especially just before opening time. This taverna is always busy but somehow you are always quickly attended to, and always in the same friendly way. Garifalia, Vagelis and Bennos work very hard and are so friendly with the customers while the rest of the family works inside in the kitchen (where there is also a display so you can choose the food here instead of from the menu). We advice everybody to one day go here and try their world famous zucchini balls, crab salad or stifado, and swallow it down with some of their nice carafs of wine. Also the chicken souvlaki is roasted just right. You might want to try Garifalias special salad, a 50-50 crab and tuna salad that is not on the menu (yet...). Hopefully the final words of the evenings, dio ouzi me paga, may sound very often in this lovely taverna. The best place to end your day, Yorgis, where you are amongst friends, feel loved and get a great meal...
Our verdict: our plates are always empty, highly recommended, a 10 out of 10?
THE FRIENDLIEST PEOPLE
It's the people that make the island. First there has to be a basis off course (a great hotel, nice beaches, good weather, delicious food etcetera), but in the end the atmosphere on an island makes you like or dislike an island. On all the islands the people are a bit different. The islands with the kindest people are in my point of view Antiparos
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:25 PM

Yes, that's a good description of Antiparos. Taverna Yorgis is my favourite restaurant. Garifalia (her name means carnation in Greek), broke a few hearts when she married a couple years ago. Approriately she runs a flower shop during the day, and works in the restaurant evenings. They really are a wonderful family. Yorgis, Yannis (of Yannis Place) and Pavlos are all related. Antiparos is indeed a small place.
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

yes, you are proboly rigth about the mosqitos. But Jan said there will be a.c. in almost all hotells now. So hopfully I will be ok (I'm a bit alergic). I do have medicine and a roll on Ican put on before I go out in the evening. I hope you will have a nice stay. I understand you will be leaving just before I arrive? But you go in a better time. Before the plase is to Crowded with Norwegians I tried the same, but it was not possible because of my daugthers hollyday. Nex year the to of us are going together. The more I read about it I understand its a good place to go with a teenager. But this year she is going to Italy with grandparents. Hope your stay will be perfect
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:37 PM

I seem to be making a few typos this evening, so hope you can understand me. I meant 'appropriately' in the last post . This thread is making me eager to get to Antiparos. I will be in Greece from 24 May, but plan to island hop for about a week, arriving on Antiparos about the beginning of June. I will be departing on 16 June, so we will miss each other by about a week.
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:45 PM

Actually I enjoy being around Norwegians. My grandparents and their relatives all spoke Norwegian at home, (I grew up in Wisconsin). Although I can't understand the language, I do remember a few words, and hearing Norwegians speak to each other brings back many pleasant memories of my childhood.
Apr 9th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

you probably did understand that it was not me writing about Antiparos, It was somthing I found in different places on intrnett. Iw been trying to make my sef the perfekt Antiparos guide, by taking all the best tips and guides i can find to put them together. I think it will be reel nice by the time of my first trip to antiparos (If You dont cont 3 houers last year just to cheek it out). I love tihis ting you telling about the daugther and tings like tath. Very cosy. Tank you
Apr 9th, 2007, 01:11 PM

Yes, I knew you were taking those quotes from the websites ;-). You will probably fall in love with Antiparos as I have, and keep returning year after year. One of the best things about the island is seeing familiar faces each visit. The same people return at the same time each year, and some come in both June and September. There are many Norwegians in early June, but mostly those with younger children.
Apr 9th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Hei, I fond this site just now. Can you pleace look at the hotells and rooms in the harbor and tell me witch one you would prefer if you should cose one at the harbour. Ofcorse you dont have to do this today... I can come back here a noter day and check for your reply. Amalie
http://www.antiparos.gr/english/categories.asp
Apr 9th, 2007, 01:34 PM

I am sorry, but I admit I didn't read all the posts completely, so if you already discussed this, skip it...

But I know Heimdall provided me with a some information on kayaking day trips around Antiparos...Hemidall, did you include this information for Amalie? It sounds so nice!

Still hoping to visit there this summer!
Apr 9th, 2007, 01:49 PM

I'll be going to bed after this post, so anything further will have to wait until tomorrow.

The Anargyros, Mantelena, and Dimitri are located right on the harbour. Anargyros is on the corner where the main street runs up from the harbour, so is about as central as you can get, but could be a bit noisy. Next to Dimitris is Artemis Hotel, which is also very nice. Antiparos, Beglari, and Korali are near the harbour, but not actually on it. Big Blue Hotel is 4km outside the village.

Go back to my http://www.antiparos-isl.com/2006/index.htm link, and look for these hotels. Those that have a + after the name have photos and/or a map showing the location. Some also have links to their own websites.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO