Reload this Page >

Anti-American Issues in Paris/London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Richard

We are traveling to Paris/London on vacation next week and taking our children as well. I wanted to ask whether anyone has had any recent issues with anti-American feelings in either of those two cities. Please let me know.<BR>Thanks.<BR>

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 12:39 PM
amy

I don't think you'll encounter any. We live in London and have dealt with a lot anti-American issues, but usually it's directed at people who live here, not the tourist. This is generally due to the fact that folks are happy for the tourist dollar and won't be rude to them. <BR><BR>We've been to Paris as well and haven't had any problems, but I do speak French (not beautifully, but...) and that may have helped.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 11:28 PM
tothetop

topper

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 12:00 AM
Sheila

This morning all over the news is the story of Rudy Guiliani getting his honorary knighthood and then visiting the Prime Minister.<BR><BR>This is a symbol, not resisited AT ALL, of how much the British people appreciate everything he has done, not just for Brits after 11th September.<BR><BR>You should have no problems

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 04:34 AM
kate

The UK is your strongest Ally. If you can't come here, then you can't go anywhere. If it's to do with 9/11, then it's worth remembering that we too have troups in Afghanistan. <BR><BR>Both Paris and London have swarms of tourists from all countries – the 2 most popular tourist destinations in Europe. Add to that something like 200,000 US citizens who live in London. Trust me, the locals are used to it. They won't give you a second glance.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 04:43 AM
Tony Hughes

Call me a pompous a*****e but this question wasnt even worth asking, Richard, as I suspect you knew perfectly well what the situation was like.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 05:50 AM
x

No Tony-you are not a Pompous A**, that is an honor bestowed on someone else here ... and he knows who he is doesn't he?

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Totally Confused

I don't mean to be controversial, I take that back, I do, but in light of Tony's comment that I whole-heartedly agree with, I'd like to ask Richard this question:<BR><BR>Richard, if some or many said that there were anti-American feelings in Paris and London, would you be cancelling your trip or just not bringing your children along? <BR><BR>I guess I don't understand the point of Richard's question, so if someone could explain it to me, I would appreciate it.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 06:47 AM
Noach

wear it well Tony and x.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Dave

Been to several parts of England and France many times, and I have never expienced any "anti-American" behavior in either place. (I have also been to countries that were not as closely allied with the US, like the old Soviet Union and Syria, and never was made uncomfortable by "anti-American" attitudes. Go, don't worry, and have fun.<BR><BR>