Another Veneto question

Search

Another Veneto question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Veneto question

Now that I have all my hotels reserved, I would like suggestions for the "don't miss" places in the Veneto. This will be my 6th trip to Italy, but I have never been to Lake Como or the Veneto, except Venice. After 4 days at Lake Como, we will have 5 days with a car (after I figure out where to pick it up)to drive from our base at Bassano del Grappa anywhere we can get to in half a day or so. I know Verona, Vicenza and Padua are supposed to be important places to go, but I remember in Tuscany some of the most fun times we had were places we just happened on while driving around. Has anyone driven around this area and found wonderful places we should make a point to see?
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 11:06 AM

I would recommend CHIOGGIA. It is a really lovely little town, very much in the Venice-style, with canals and bridges. Really lovely!
And then the area along the Brenta river. There are wonderful palladian villas along this river, some can be visited. You can also take a short cruise on the river depending on the season of course.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 11:28 AM

Asolo and the Palladian villa near there--I think at Maser. Nove is the best ceramica factory town in northern Italy. Marostica is worth an hour. Get a good guide book and also look at articles on Veneto at www.initaly.com
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Good suggestions. Thanks! Any restaurant leads? We will celebrating our 25th anniversary while staying in Bassano del Grappa, and it would be nice to have a sure thing for a romantic place for dinner.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 10:35 PM

I second Batuffolina for the Brenta canal. You can subscribe for a day excursion with the boat on the Brenta canal and visit 3 Palladian villa's. The climax of the trip is when you leave the canal, enter in the Venice laguna and get off board in front of the Doge Palace. A wonderful daytrip.

Next, as you say, Padova and Vicenza are the places not to be missed. From Bassano, also have a trip to Cittadella, a small circular town with walls all around, and Asolo, a nice little town in the hills.
A daytrip to Bologna would be a good idea.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. They are in my file. I'm still hoping someone will come up with good ideas for restaurants in that area, especially a special one for our anniversary. We found the food very uneven on our last trip to Italy. We're not "foodies", but are spoiled by the quality we get living in the SF Bay area. I just want to be sure such a special dinner is at a special place that won't be disappointing. Any ideas?
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 05:00 AM

For other day-trips - don't miss Treviso, one of the highlights of the Veneto IMO.

You could also do a magnificent drive into the Dolomites from Bassano. Head for San Martino di Castrozza for some of the finest mountain scenery imaginable, and do the Pale di San Martino tour.

You could also go west to Trento along the Val Sugana. Feltre and Belluno are also pleasant.

Hope someone else can help with restaurants ...

Steve