Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Another Renfe question. Will there be a seat if I wait & buy in Spain?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read the tutorials offered by Rick Steves, Maribel, and Trip Advisor; links provided in a recent thread. Thanks to all for that. They were very helpful, but I should have started the train ticket search weeks ago. The web and estrella discounts are gone for the dates I need to travel by train.
However, and here is my question. Since we are over 60, we appear to qualify for the Tarjeta Dorada, or seniors card. It costs 5 Euros, but only available in Spain.
Am I better off buying my train tickets in Spain after arrival, and after I get a Tarjeta Dorada.
With 40% off on weekdays, seems that's the best idea, but what about availability? What chance am I taking that there would be no seats available?

Here is my train needs:

Mon Sep 6; Madrid to Toledo and return.

Wed Sep 8: Madrid to Cordoba, AM. Then, Cordoba to Seville, PM.

Sep 12 or about; maybe a day trip out of Barcelona.

To tell the truth, I am more comfortable having tickets in hand, assuming I can negotiate the tricky Renfe web site, than arriving in country without a train reservation. But then again, it could save 40 Euros or so each. That's significant. How much am I risking not having a seat on a train?

Thanks for any help you may provide.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 08:53 PM

We made that run over New Years last year and bought our tickets the day before and used the senior card. Never had any problems with availability of seats. One difference is that we overnighted in Cordoba before going on to Seville. We did Madrid, Cordoba, Seville, Granada, and home from Malaga. Didn't make any reservation more than a day in advance.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 08:55 PM

PS -- Used second class - whole trip. If you go first you will never have a problem with seats. No one rides in first class except a few business types and tourists.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 09:03 PM

Not a problem. We bought our tickets the day before with no problems. Trains in Spain were not even close as how crowded trains are in Italy. Buy 2nd class, they are comfortable, no need for 1st nobody travels 1st anymore.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 09:14 PM

You get 40% off with TD or buying estrella fare on
RENFE. Where does the saving of 40 euros come from?
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 09:17 PM

sorry, I just realized you said estrella is not available.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 11:27 PM

BillJ,

'How much am I risking not having a seat on a train?'

Can I sit on the fence? The answer is some or slight.

For example, Madrid to Toledo is a commuter run at some times of the day. Choose the wrong journey time and you may be out of luck.

Who can tell how many tourists from California will turn up for your preferred journey with the same idea.

My thought - purchase Toledo tickets on line, purchase the Gold card and tickets for Cordoba at the station, on the day you go to Toledo (allow time - I have no recollection if queues).

Best wishes.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 07:49 AM

Don't overlook the bus to Toledo. Cheaper and faster in total time. Because the train system is not as extensive in Spain as in the rest of Europe, a great bus system has developed. The Toledo bus dumps you are the main plaza whereas the train is out on the edge of town and you have to take a public bus or a taxi to get to the heart of old Toledo.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 09:47 AM

the bus takes 75 minutes. One has to get to the bus or train station in Madrid in any case.
The bus from the train station in Toledo to town takes a short time. Your choice.
We liked taking AVE to Toledo, but when we got to Atocha the time slot we wanted was soled out . Bought tickets for the following day.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks one and all. After reading these responses, and talking to a few folks who have been there, I have decided to wait til I'm in Spain. On arrival day, I will go to the nearest ticket place, buy the tarjeta dorada, and then buy my train tickets.
Thanks again.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 02:07 PM

There is a ticket office in the airport across from the TI -- I think it is terminal 1 but not absolutely sure.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

That's good to know. I will look for it. And thanks fmpden for the bus reminder. Didn't even think of the bus.