Another question for Franco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have been so helpful for our previous trips to Venice with great advice, especially about food and sights to see. Now we will return to Venice for two weeks in mid-January. We will continue with the "Thirty Walks..." Have enjoyed them tremendously so far. Any suggestions about what foods-fish, produce-will be "in season" then? The recipes you have shared have been greatly appreciated. Hope to hear from you, if your schedule permits.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 07:56 AM

roamer, congratulations - GREAT decision. That's the season to visit Venice - for everybody (no queue in front of basilica di S. Marco), but even more so for foodies! Winter is, first reason, fish season; you'll tremendously enjoy the fish market. And winter is, second reason, the best vegetable season, in Venice: you'll get artichokes (castraure, above all, the small variety we were talking about earlier on another thread), cime di rapa (one of my favourites, with no proper name in English, as far as I know), cardoons, and above all - radicchio!!!
Last not least: in 2008, Carnival is early, and at least in your second week, you'll already get frittelle throughout the city, the won-der-ful Carnival pastry. When I'm in Venice at that time of the year, I'm eating frittelle every day until I can barely move, because I love them so much. They come usually in three varieties: alla veneziana (without stuffing), con crema (confectioner's cream) and con zabaione. If you've never sampled Maria Boscolo's (address on my Venetian food thread) frittelle con zabaione, you don't know Venice...
You're welcome to ask for winter recipes, but please: if so, let's move over to the "favourite Venetian food" thread, that's where more other users would find them.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 08:24 AM

Franco.....I'm sorry to bother you...but I've tried to find your reference to Maria Bascolo on your 'Venice restaurant & food' thread and I can't find it. I even Googled...no luck.
Frittelle are wonderful....the best that I've tasted were at Locanda Cipriani. (I love Locanda Cipriani's atmoshere and delightful staff...but the food is not usually inspired....but their fritelle were WOW!!)
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 09:03 AM

Quotation from "favourite Venetian food":
>Finally, cakes and sweeties: just one recommendation that has no equal and no competition in Venice: Maria Boscolo on Campiello dell'Anconetta (i.e. on Strada Nuova, near S. Marcuola vaporetto stop).<

I didn't know about Locanda Cipriani's frittelle, but the same is true for Haig's (across the square from S. Maria del Giglio), a restaurant that I'd never recommend (average food for crazy prices), but their frittelle are marvellous.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 12:14 PM

Thank you Franco!!