Another question about Trains!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and I will be flying into Edinburgh and then plan to go to Glasgow a few days later. I am wondering whether to rent a car to drive to Glasgow, since we will be travelling north from there, or whether to take the train from Edinburgh to Glasgow. A concern I have is whether I can get "significant" luggage on the train from Edinburgh to Glasgow. We will each have at least one fairly large suitcase. Would it be easier to drive than take the luggage on the train?
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 01:16 PM

For a one hour journey hiring a car will be overkill. If anything it will take far longer by the time you have reached the hire office, done all the paperwork, loaded up the car and drive only to do the reverse an hour later.

The trains do have sufficent space if you avoid the rush hour. But why change hotels for such a short distance
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 01:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Driving in Edinburgh is a pain. Driving in Glasgow is a pain. It would take you longer to sort out the car and find your way out of Edinburgh city centre than the train trip takes.

But we need more details. Are you just doing one day in Glasgow? If so just do a day trip from back to Edinburgh.

My real question is just how 'significant' and 'fairly large' are we talking about? Big/heavy bags are a problem w/ more than just the trains.
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 01:35 PM

<< Would it be easier to drive than take the luggage on the train >>

It would be easier to pack less.

What you haven't said is if you're renting a car at all for this trip. If not then I would not rent a car for a 1 hour train trip. Think of it this way. If you were a tourist in Ann Arbor and wanted to go to Detroit and there was a bus to take you there, would you spend the time and money to rent a car?
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the information. Yes, my daughter and I will be continuing on by car from Glasgow. We are planning on going to Oban and visiting the Islands of Mull and Iona, although any advice on itinerary is welcome! We are planning a total of 5 1/2 days in Scotland.

We will each have a 26 inch suitcase which is roughly 66cm, and each of us will probably one smaller suitcase (carry on size). I agree it would be easier to pack less-we are also spending time in Ireland before we arrive in Scotland, and my daughter is going on to London and Barcelona with friends after our time in Scotland. I have advised her to pack light, but it is not in her reality to do so!

Adrienne, thank you for the Ann Arbor/Detroit analogy! It is very helpful!
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 03:55 AM

Are you sure you can cover Edinburgh, Glasgow, Oban, Mull, and Iona in 5.5 days plus getting back to the airport? Have you ever been to Scotland? Do you know that the driving is very slow (and that's an understatement). Plus you have ferry schedules to deal with. It's one thing getting to an island but another to get off the island in time to get to the next island.

I'm very confused. If you're flying to Edinburgh and then going to Glasgow a few days later but only spending 5.5 days in Scotland that means that you're covering 2 islands and Oban in 2 days?

Did I read this wrong?

Whatever you're doing I would pick up the car as you leave Glasgow rather than in Edinburgh. (How are you going to fit all that luggage in the car - better get a large one!!).
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 04:46 AM

You'll both be a lot happier if you pack lighter. If you have to take 26" suitcases, make your second bags day packs that you can wear.
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 04:50 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
my thoughts are the same as adrienne's (though the "two Islands" aren't really an issue, since Mull and Iona are connected by a teensy foot ferry)

Glasgow to say Fionnphort is a five hour drive plus the Oban/Mull ferry. So basically an entire day. If you truly mean five days in Scotland -- luggage is the least of your problems.

Or -- do you mean 5+ days besides/after Edinburgh and Glasgow?
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 07:50 PM

Is your daughter taking along her hair dryer, curling iron, six pairs of shoes and three outfits for each day?

The best thing for you to do is to lay everything out on the bed and reduce by half. Then pack everything that you want to take into your 26" suitcase, and take it outdoors. Trot around the block with your 26" suitcase, then go find some stairs or come home to your two story house and lug the suitcase up and down the stairs a few times, then go outdoors again and trot around the block one more time. Do not walk, trot - as in running to catch a train. You will be duplicating what you need to do in Europe.

If you are still in one piece after doing all that, then by all means, take your 26" suitcase.

Otherwise, pack as light as possible. There are plenty of threads here on Fodors giving good advice on how to pack light. There are also many experts, like janisj, who can give you excellent advice in what and how to pack.

Have a great trip and I hope you leave the kitchen sink at home!
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 09:45 PM

>> lay everything out on the bed and reduce by half. Then pack everything that you want to take into your 26" suitcase, and take it outdoors. Trot around the block with your 26" suitcase, then go find some stairs or come home to your two story house and lug the suitcase up and down the stairs a few times, then go outdoors again and trot around the block one more time. Do not walk, trot - as in running to catch a train. You will be duplicating what you need to do in Europe.<<

Fodor's should copy that, in letters of fire, into all its destination guides!
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, everyone! And the reality check. We are arriving from Ireland on Saturday at noon, and plan to stay in Edinburgh for three nights (Sat, Sun, Mon). On Tuesday morning, I thought we would drive to Glasgow (or take the train), spend one day and night and then drive to Oban on Wednesday morning, spend Wed night in Oban and then do the Islands on Thursday. But it sounds like we probably won't have enough time to do that and catch our plane on Friday morning from Edinburgh.

Thinking we could skip Glasgow and just go to Oban after Edinburgh. I admit I am having difficulty deciding on an itinerary. All of the advice helps.

Also, re: luggage, I will plan to have my daughter carry her suitcase around the block and then up and down the stairs and we will see if she will then agree to cut down on what she is bringing! Great advice!
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 02:01 PM

For tips on packing light, read the articles under the "Packing" heading on this page: http://tinyurl.com/2qykmr.