Search

Another passport expiration question...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another passport expiration question...

Good morning Fodorites,
We are scheduled to leave the end of next week - departing DFW on the 21 April for CDG returning 29 April. My friend checked her passport this morning and it expires 18 May. I'm worried - she's not. After reading several posts on this website, my concern has grown. We called the international AAdvantage desk of American Airlines. They assured us there was no problem with entry or departure. I called the National Passport Information Center and they, too, assured us there was no problem for us. The NPIC's words were "there are no restrictions for France" with regard to time between expiration, renewal, and travel. Why am I worried? Is there another source (reliable?) with which I should confirm the information I've received thus far?
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 07:44 AM
ira

Hi Mom,

Call the Frnch Consulate nearest you or the Embassy in DC.

There might not be a problem.

Old Apr 11th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

OK - per Ira's suggestion, I contacted the French conslate. Sure enough, they said the passport needs to be valid for 3 months upon return to the US. I also received an email confirming the same info. I called American Airlines AAdvantage international desk back to discuss my findings. I'm puzzled now as to why I'm receiving conflicing info between the airlines, National Passport informational center, and the French consulate. Wouldn't you think they'd be on the same page? For my friend to renew her passport in one week - egads! Anyone face this situation fairly recently?
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 07:41 AM

Good thing you were sensible enough to be worried over this issue. Your friend might have ended up spending a very short vacation in some CDG waiting room before returning home.

Don't get worked up about AA and the Nat'l Passport Office not knowing the entry rules of foreign countries. I expect American Airlines to know their rules and procedures for transporting people, and the National Passport Office to know theirs for allowing peole entry into the US. Neither are arms of the French government, which is perfectly entitled to institute such rules regarding entry into their country.

To get an expedited passport renewal your friend should call 1-877-487-2778 to make an appointment with a regional passport agency. Expect to be on hold for quite some time. Good luck.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 07:48 AM

Dorkforce-this very issue came up on another post, and I called the French Embassy in Washington DC, and I reported what they said on this website, which is, you MUST have at least 3 months validity remaining on your passport, it is on our website-and he actually looked it up for me (I couldn't find it). He said no exceptions.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

You're right - it's not the airlines responsibility for other countries entry requirement. They are the transportation portion of any trip. It sound like my friend needs to hop a plane to Houston to expedite the renewal before next week, doesn't it? (and, I assume, call to make an appointment). Many thanks for offering opinions - I know this comes up all the time on this board. Sometimes it seems it' a treasure hunt to dig down to the correct and most accurate info.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 08:19 AM

Dork-given the heavy volume on passport applications-she may have to go to a passport service-so I would look one up for her city-I had to use one, and the good thing was, they have regular slots with the passport office, so they already have the appointments-you pay them to get the benefit of their slots.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 08:22 AM

I recently had a simiar situation. I used a service called Visa Express and got my passport in time.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who posted - now for the ending to the story. My friend called (Wednesday) the automated system to secure a reservation at the Houston passport office. Her assigned time was 1:00pm Thursday afternoon.

With passport, birth certificate, and plane e-ticket in hand, she drove away at 5:00am Thursday morning for Houston. With much standing in line with many people each with their own tale, she walked away at 4:30pm with a renewed passport! All told, with the drive home, it was a 17 hour day with a happy ending. We're off to France in one week!