Search

Another Oyster card/travel card question

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2013, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Oyster card/travel card question

Dear Fodorites,

Inspite of reading all the info on Oyster cards and Travel cards I am still confused.
We are in London for 6 days end of June .We are 2 adults and 2 children aged 13 and 7.
What i have understood is ,we need to get 7 day travel cards zones 1-2(to avail the 2 for 1 offers) for the 3 of us as well as oyster PAYG cards.The 13 yr old gets a chidren Zip oyster card that entails her to free bus travel n reduced travel rates on tube but I should appy for it min 4 weeks before the travel date.The 7 yr old travels free.
Have i got this right? We are taking an early train to Edinburgh on the 7th day so If i buy the offpeak travel card ,will i be able to use it .or is it better I buy anytime travel cards.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 05:19 AM

You dont need a PAYG and a travelcard...the paper travelcards bought at national rail stations (not tube stations) are used for unltd travel in zone 1-2. Are you planning to go anywhere out of those zones?

You can only get two 2for1s if you are three people so you only need 2 paper travelcards.

Be sure to bring passport photos for the paper travelcards as they are now required.

I dont what a zip card is, but fares for 11-13 yr olds is found here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx It looks like you apply online 4 weeks in advance and then pick it up once here.

What ticket you buy for Edibnurgh depends on the time you want to travel. Anytime can be used well, anytime...off-peak is restricted to trains that travel in offpeak times (after 9:30am I believe). What day are you planning to travel - is it a weekend?
Old May 3rd, 2013, 05:21 AM

Ticket types for your train to Edinburgh are described here:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_...ket_types.aspx
Old May 3rd, 2013, 05:53 AM

there is plenty to see in London, I'd find Zones 1 and 2 very restrictive, but that is up to you, but if you were sure you were staying in zones 1 and 2, the travel card would work best.

For Edinburgh, i would just buy an advance ticket a few days before so you wouldn't be locked in.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 05:59 AM

If you want to go out of zone 1-2 (most of what most first time travellers to London want to see are in these zones) its easy - just go to a manned ticket booth and buy an extension. Easy!
Old May 3rd, 2013, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks jamikins and zakkthebear.We are travelling to Edinburgh on a thursday morning.Tickets not yet booked.Since we are there for 6 days apart from taking a day trip to either Windsor/oxford and a half day trip to Greenwich ,all the sights are definitely within the 1 and 2 zones.With the 2 travel cards and the 2 for 1 offers I assume the 2 kids come free at few of the sights?
Old May 3rd, 2013, 06:10 AM

No - the 2for1s are only valid if you have 2 paper travelcards, so you and your husband will be free and your kids will have to pay.

From the official website:

How many train tickets are required per voucher?

Whilst you will only have one London Attractions voucher between 2 people, both people need to hold valid train tickets for the day of their visit.

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/faq.aspx#5
Old May 3rd, 2013, 06:11 AM

Sorry - meant you and your hubby will be 2for1, the kids will need to pay.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 06:20 AM

Oh and Greenwich is in zone 2 so it is included in your travelcard.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Sorry,I am still confused.Is the travel card n oyster PAYG loaded onto 1 single card?I was under the assumption they r are 2 diff cards in hand.In short ,Me and hubby get 2 7 day travel cards ,the 13 yr old gets the zip oyster card and the 7 yr old is free (doesnt need any card).
If we get the off peak travel cards,can we use it for our early morning travel to the London Euston?How does that work?
Old May 3rd, 2013, 06:51 AM

The travelcard is a paper travel card purchased at any National Rail station (London Bridge, Cannon Street, Victoria, Paddington) at the train station portion of the station, not the underground. You DO NOT need an Oyster of any kind for this. YOu need a passport photo and they will give you a paper card on organgey-red paper you can use on all transit in zone 1-2 unlimited. To get 2for1s you need to have the voucher downloaded from this site for your chosen site: www.daysoutguide.co.uk You give this to the ticket agent at the site and show them your train tickets and you and your hubby will get 2 entry tickets for the price of 1.

Your 13 year old will have an Oyster Card with their photo to travel with.

Your 7 year old just needs to travel with one of you free - no card required.

No you cannot use off peak train tickets (there are no travel cards involved here - they are separate tickets purchased here www.nationalrail.co.uk ) for peak travel times (ie. trains departing before 9:30am). Off peak is cheaper because you travel when the train is less busy in off peak times.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 06:52 AM

Just to clarify - there is no off peak 7 day travelcard. It is one price for unlimited travel anytime.

If you are still within the 7 days of the travelcard then yes you can use this to get from any station in zone 1-2 to Euston. Then you will need train tickets to get on your train to Edinburgh.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much Jamikins.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:02 AM

My pleasure! Enjoy your trip!
Old May 3rd, 2013, 09:24 AM

Looks like jamikins sorted you out.

You can load a child's 7-day travelcard on your "zip" Oystercard rather than do PAYG. That probably makes the most sense for 6-days. Half price at £15.20 I believe. Then you don't have to worry about peak/off-peak as well.

(I've not use the zip card but my DD has the 11-15 card).

Another tip: for the 7 y.o. (and one adult), go through the larger, and occasionally manned, "handicapped" gates for the Tube. They open longer to allow both of you through without getting squashed!
Old May 3rd, 2013, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Indy_dad,Do i need to load a child's 7 day travel card on the "zip"oyster card?What advantage does it have?
Isnt it enough to just have the zip oyster card?
See this link below.
http://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/help-c...-children.html

Does it help with the 2 for 1 offers having the child 7day travel card ?How did you avail the 2 for 1 offers since your children are similar in age to mine.
http://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/help-c...omparison.html

Additionally,we can even buy beforehand the travel cards online and get it delivered before we travel.
http://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/travel...ravelcard.html
Has anyone done this or is it better to go to any national rail station and buy the travel cards?
Thanks in advance
Old May 3rd, 2013, 03:08 PM

<<Does it help with the 2 for 1 offers having the child 7day travel card ?How did you avail the 2 for 1 offers since your children are similar in age to mine.>>

You need to check on this - the 7 yo won't be eligible for a travelcard because TFL travel is free. You may be overthinking this.

<<Additionally,we can even buy beforehand the travel cards online and get it delivered before we travel.>>

It takes 10 minutes max at a national rail station to do this, and you need to bring photos for your cards now (like passport size, but you don't have to look grim) that the attendant will affix.

By the way, this is arrant nonsense: "I'd find Zones 1 and 2 very restrictive, but that is up to you, but if you were sure you were staying in zones 1 and 2, the travel card would work best." The simple fact is that if you're not staying in zone 1 or 2, you're staying too far out of the center of London. There really are few major tourist attractions that are within the various "zones" and not within zones 1 or 2 (Hampton Court Palace, Kew Gardens, Wimbledon, some football stadia).
Old May 3rd, 2013, 10:10 PM

To recap, the adults will get the 7-day paper travelcards from the rail station to get the 2-for-1s. Passport photos needed (but can be taken close by in the station I imagine).

The youngest is free. Now, for the 11 y.o.:

you are planning to pre-order a visitor's Oystercard. For a visitor to get the child rates, you will have to do this ahead of time (like you are planning).

An Oystercard is a piece of plastic that allows you to load on Transport-for-London payment. This can either be PAYG money (for which you, naturally, pay for each trip or you can load a 7-day travelcard (on the plastic, rather than a piece of paper).

For a 6-day stay, it makes sense to get the travelcard on your Oyster. Your Tube costs are now fixed and you don't have to worry about having enough PAYG money (or too much) and you will likely come out ahead financially, albeit it's only a few &pound; either way). It sounds more confusing than it is.

There's nothing stopping you getting your 11 y.o. a paper travel card from the rail station but

a) you won't get the child discount
b) the Oystercard is easier to deal with (plastic vs paper) if everything else is the same (i.e. no 2-for-1 deals).

So, my recommendation is 2 adult paper travelcards and 1 child Oystercard loaded with a 7-day travelcard.

[you are saving &pound;15 by getting the child's card -- I assume shipping is less than that; if not, just get an adult one when you get here]

Does that help?
Old May 3rd, 2013, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks indy_dad for explaining to me.How did you avail the 2 for 1 offers for your family.Who comes free?
Most of the attractions have child rates (6-16yrs).
Old May 3rd, 2013, 11:05 PM

Well, we live in the UK. All four of us take the train in/out so we all qualify.

For you, you'll have one free adult and pay for 2 kids (assuming you get the paper travelcards for the adults and print out your vouchers ahead of time).

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -