Another Ireland question

Search

Another Ireland question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Another Ireland question

We would prefer to fly in and out of Shannon from Chicago, but are not crazy about the flight choices. Now we are looking into flying into Dublin and out of Shannon.

My question is this-----Where would you stay about 1-2 hour easy drive from Dublin airport towards Galway? With jetlag that is as far as we would like to travel the first day. Price range up to 120 euros (possibly a little higher), maybe a B & B instead of a nondescript hotel.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't want to sound patronizing, but I would not want to drive 1 hour with a jetlag since I usually drive on the right side of the road.
If you want to start your trip in Galway, you can take a direct bus from Dublin airport to Galway without changes and for hardly any money at all. One company is citylink.ie, and when you check your travel dates, I'm sure you will find €1 or €5 fares.
You will have lots of choices of hotels and B&Bs in Galway, and could pick up your car next morning.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 06:34 PM

My vote would be for Athlone. aaroadwatch.ie says it is about 82 miles so within your comfort zone. We stayed just northwest of Athlone at St. Ruth's Milltown Farmhouse http://www.struths.com/ and were very happy with the experience. According to her website she is charging €35 pps so that too is in your range.
The grounds are just lovely and there is a little stream running across the property up in the trees.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Cowboy1968---your suggestion is good, and if I were driving I wouldn't do it on jetlag either, but the driving thing doesn't seem to bother MDH at all within reason.

Jaja---Athlone is one of the places we looked at on the map and St. Ruth's Miltown looks lovely, we may just do that.

We have been traveling with such ease in France for so many years. It's kind of hard to leave our comfort zone, but since MDH is completely Irish way back, we would like to see a bit of his "homeland". I hope we can work it out this time. We have tried in the past, and when it got challenging we always ended up in France again.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 07:22 PM

Ireland is wonderful! Go at least once. Then you can go back to France. One other option you might consider is the train - I have not done this, but have seen several others talk about taking the train direct from Dublin to Galway. I assume you would have to get into the center of Dublin from the airport, but after that, someone else is doing the work. If your only reason for not going straight to Galway is the driving, it could be something to think about.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 07:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I personally wouldn't care one teensy bit if my husband felt 'OK' driving after and over night flight. He wouldn't drive and I wouldn't ride w/ him.

It would be much better/safer to either take public transport to Galway and collect your car the next day, or spend your arrival day in Dublin car-less and drive across the next day. He <i>might</i> be fine -- but if he isn't - you'd find out too late.
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 01:17 AM

I would agree on taking the train from Dublin to Galway and then hiring a car in Galway. You can relax on the train...maybe take a nap and be refreshed upon your arrival.