Another Heritage Pass question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2003, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking into purchasing the heritage pass for our trip to the UK.

I am assuming that the price is the same for adults and children as there isn't a separate price for kids.

If this is the case would I be better off just purchasing 2 adult tickets and then paying for the children?

So far I have over 10 places that we would definitely visit that is on their list.

Thanks
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 09:05 AM

Probably the best way to figure this out is to go to each of the locations you plan on visiting (their websites) and add up the admission costs. Some places, I believe, are free for children so it may not make sense to buy a Pass for them. Many of the places covered by the Pass are National Trust properties. You can check out the cost of these at: www.nationaltrust.org.uk
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 09:16 AM

I think a "family pass" is offered. Check that out.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 09:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is no discount for kids with the GBH pass and , as rickmav noted, kids often get free or reduced entry. No need to get one for your kids. But for the adults, if you have 10 places that are "must see's" on your list then you'll certainly more than get your money's worth (especially if one of the biggies like Windsor Castle or Blenheim Palace is on the list).

Do be aware that the pass normally covers entry to the place itself but not any associated amusements (like the animal safari at Longleat).
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 09:20 AM

p.s.

In the past I've purchased the Pass from The Royal Oak Foundation because they offer a better price.

The Royal Oak Foundation
26 Broadway, Suite 950
NYCity NY 10004-1715
(800) 913-6565
www.royal-oak.org
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I will do the math for the kids.

TuckH, the link you sent was for the Roayl Oak properties. I didn't see the same attractions listed as in the Heritage pass. More places we are looking to go to are on the Heritage Pass.

I didn't see a family pass option on the Heritage website.

obxgirl - yes we will be visiting Windsor along with Royal Mews, Kensington Palace, Hampton Court, Tower Bridge, Tower of London, Stonehenge, Warwick Castle, Sudeley Castle, Anne Hathaway's cottage, Shakespeare birthplace.

We are also thinking of going to York and ending in Edinburgh where there are places there that we would like to visit that are on the list.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Just wanted to let everyone know what I found.

Even though the Heritage Pass does not have children's prices. I have added up what it would cost to visit the places below for kids over 5. The total I got is ₤49.25 so it's worth to buy the pass for ₤46.00

That is not including some other areas we are thinking of visiting but haven't pinned down an itinerary yet.

Royal Mews, Kensington Palace, Windsor, Tower of London, Hampton Court, Warwick Castle, Shakespeare area homes, Tower bridge

Hope this helps someone else looking into this.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 11:07 AM

Occasionally there's a discount offered on these passes. We got a two for one deal in June 2002.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 11:19 AM

The Royal Oak suggestion is a bit misleading... this is the American arm of the National Trust. They don't sell the GBHP but have memberships that allow for free entry to NT properties.

The differences are explained on their site at http://www.royal-oak.org/faq/whatsthediffHP.htm
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

I also wanted to add that the price of ₤46.00 is for a 15 day pass.

We are planning on 14-16 days in the UK the only other option is 7 days. I wish they had a 10 day pass.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 03:06 PM

Tuck's infor is indeed about the National Trust. The name of the pass ga9497 is asking about is the Great British Heritage Pass. It covers all of the National Trust sites PLUS National Trust for Scotland, Historic Houses assoc. (privately ownd stately homes), English Heritage, Historic Royal Palaces, and other places - over 600 in all.

As you have worked out, there is at best a small savings for children - but it is still likely to save SOME and be really convenient.

The have 4, 7, 15, and 30 daye versions.

Since you are unlikely to use it the first or last days and there are relatively fewer covered sites in London you might be able to make do w/ a 7 day GBHP.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 03:28 PM
MD

The nice thing about passes is that you can make a quick stop in smaller attractions (Jewel Tower, Whitehall for the London pass) that you probably wouldn't see otherwise.

I forget the deal with Tower of London and Windsor Castle, but we kickedourselves for not buying the pass first.

Old Sep 10th, 2003, 04:10 PM

Janis, More than half of the list of the places ga9497 selected to visit are in or around London (Windsor, Royal Mews, Kensington Palace, Hampton Court, Tower Bridge, Tower of London). Why wouldn't they take advantage of the 15 day pass?
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 08:27 PM

Well - I usually get a GBHP that covers the whole time I am in the UK. But some think a 15 dayer is too expensive. The reason I mentioned considering a 7 day pass is they COULD load the London sites towards the end of their time there - say do Windsor, the Royal Mews, Kensington Palace, Hampton Court, the Tower and Tower Bridge on spread over the last 4 days in London and do Stonehenge, Warwick Castle and Stratford (Warwick and the Shakespeare properties can easily be done in one day) and Sudeley Castle on the first 3 days outside of London.

This is not ideal - but if the extra cost of a 15 day pass is too much this is a way to get the most out of a 7 day pass.

(And a little secret - you can almost always squeeze an extra day out of the GBHP. Sept 12 through sept 18 is of course 7 days - but intuitively it seems like only 6 days. Most ticket sellers, except math majors would allow Sept 19 since Sept 12 to sept 19 "seems" to be 7 days.)

This has happened to me several times - just a bonus . . .
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Janis thanks

I would definitely buy the 15 day pass, I don't want to be tied down to seeing the sights on certain days. We just like to go as we please.

It's not that much of a difference in the pass from the 7 to 15 day considering you are more then doubling your days.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 05:40 PM

good choice ga9497. I never give a second thought to getting a longer GBHP since I know how much I usually save - but some folks do need to pinch every penny out of their vacation budget.