Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

another girl question about clothes, italy in May

Jan 20th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Original Poster

hellooo,
to make it short/sweet, we will be in CT, Florence, Rome, Venice May 9-24. I am aware the climates can be quite different from region to region, and in may could be cooler
(CT) to kind of muggy (Rome). I am thinking of (and shopping for ) long sleeve teeshirt fabric tops, LIGHTweight sweatertops, packing a go-with-all-black blazer, as well as jeans, black synthetic pants, and black tennis shoes (CT) stylish
wedgie 3" healed "loafer" style(1 tan, 1 black) and black flats, for more "city" (Rome, Florence)
yet comfortable, shoes. Also various cotton tops to fill in the blanks. I do not want to be too cold, but would definately prefer too cold to too hot walking around..Fashionatos, and experianced Italy travelers, are encouraged to reply....
Jan 21st, 2006, 12:21 AM

3 inch heels might not wear so well when walking on cobblestones. Synthetic pants might get clingy and feel awful in hot or muggy weather.

Why not low heeled short boots and natural fibered pants?
Jan 21st, 2006, 01:05 AM
Original Poster

thanks seaurchin..this is the kind of advise I am looking for..
Jan 21st, 2006, 01:09 AM
Original Poster

what about my tee shirt/lightweight sweater idea? I don't want to be all sticky and sweaty in rome, I hear it can be a little muggy in may
Jan 21st, 2006, 01:17 AM

May can really be quite warm; as mentioned, cotton (or other natural) fabrics might be better. I always find some kind of large shawl/pashmina type of thing usefull for that time of the year; wear it over your blazer in the evening (buy it there if you need one!).
I always wear either flat shoes or a wedge heel in the city; stilletos or heels are terrible for walking on cobblestones, but a higher wedge or platform is much better.
I would add a skirt; cotton, A-line would be comfortable (or buy one from Zara or a place like that).
Jeans, Tshirt, blazer would be perfect daytime wear for the cities.
Have a great time!
Jan 21st, 2006, 01:21 AM

Wanted to add; I was in Florence in May a few years ago, and there was a heatwave, temperatures of 30 C. and higher. The difference between what the tourists were wearing, and what locals wore, was huge!
Jan 21st, 2006, 01:27 AM
Original Poster

high heels are definately out of the question! won't even talk about stilletos! I have a couple pair of cushy platform style rubber sole higher wedge loafer style that are quite comfortable, as well as a pair of 1" + black naturalizer leather shoes that with longish jeans, look like stylish boots, sans heel.
Jan 21st, 2006, 04:48 AM

I've never been known for my fashion sense, but LLBean has pima cotton t-shirts (short-sleeved, long-sleeved and cardigan) that can be combined as a sweater set and take minimal room in your luggage and are very flexible with regard to the weather. A black skirt could come in handy for when it is hot and for dressier occasions.
Jan 21st, 2006, 05:12 AM

Wear natural fibers - no synthetics unless it's a Cool-Max or similar blend. You want clothes that breathe. Take a look at a Magellan's catalog or LLBean Traveler for ideas if you want to order clothes that are comfortable for travel - or home.

I splurged and bought Mephisto sandals for my trip - and wore them everyday once I came home. The difference in comfort was incredible. No way I'd do heels or 3" for walking in Europe.

I'd go for comfort over "stylish". Even those who try to dress "like a local" are known as tourists immediately (and nothing wrong with that IMO )
Jan 21st, 2006, 09:22 AM

Hopefully you can combine comfort with stylish, since you are asking I guess it is important to you. It is to me too.

Maybe cotton/lycra black jeans or cords, some other light wool pants or two, a skirt or two, cotton tops and sweaters like you have, your comfortable shoes w/o heels, your blazer and I would add a cashmire or pashmina scarf and a light jacket but I get cold easlily, esp. at night. I always bring silk long underwear to sleep in and a short silk robe.
Jan 21st, 2006, 09:23 AM

oh, yes, regular cotton pants would be good too.
Jan 21st, 2006, 09:26 AM

Oh, not me at all. I go for the comfortable slob look.

Geez. I didn't know they were exclusive of one another.

My reference was to the OP's "stylish
wedgie 3" healed"

Others on this board expressed caution over 3" heels on cobblestone streets - so there must be other comfortable slobs out there.

By the way, my Mephistos are stylish enough (IMO anyway) but are most importantly, comfortable!
Jan 21st, 2006, 09:53 AM

I'm no fashionista, but I do like to look good AND be comfortable when traveling. I agree with natural fabrics - nothing worse than having synthetic fabric sticking to you in hot/muggy weather.

As for 3" heels - only if you were born and raised in Italy. NO way I could walk as much as I do when traveling (often 10 or more miles a day) in 3" heels. It's very possible to find stylish but comfortable shoes these days.
Jan 21st, 2006, 09:55 AM

Our previous trip to Italy was in September and my comfy Sass sandals worked perfect for all venues. We are returning in May and I have wondered if sandals would still work that early in the year. Apparantly so according to this post. Thanks.
Jan 21st, 2006, 10:27 AM

starrsville, I wasn't referring to you. I know people who travel with baggy sweat clothes to be comfortable. I don't know anything about you or how you dress.
Jan 21st, 2006, 12:24 PM

check out aerosoles (aerosoles.com or at Nordstrom and other places) - they usually have REALLY comfortable shoes - have often been able to find a plain-ish cute loafer or sandal of theirs and wear it the whole time - Mephisto is good if they fit you right - I recommend whatever you get you wear them around 3-7 days at home first to wear them in and also make sure that they truly are comfortable - totally ditch the high heels - 3" I don't care if they are wedges - one tweeked ankle and your trip is ruined.

Natural fibers are great, but truthfully, something with a spandex mixed in or something with a little stretch (don't think tight spandex pants, but nice slacks with a little stretch in the material) - these pack well and don't wrinkle - black is great - won't show stains and goes dressy to casual and looks slim and great - I read that women really need only 4 pairs of pants in their wardrobes at home and then 3x as many tops - so think about that for travel and cut down the numbers - just a few pairs of pants, but multiple tops - Michael Starr tops are great - especially the sleeveless or short sleeved colorful v-necks (they sell them lots of places - look great, pack well and add a blazer, longer jacket or sweater and you are set - I like one 3/4 length light weight black jacket to throw over anything (especially with black slacks) - you will look very put together. Old travel tip was always to bring a few scarves to make outfits look different and stylish. Even if you are not dressy, a fun handkerchief style scarf tied around the neck and push knot to side('50's looking) is cute and fun. Go for comfort - seriously, once I went for style and had to use my high school french to buy american tennis shoes in Paris by the end of the trip because my feet hurt so much - that was an ugly look!

When all else fails, keep it simple - go for black and tan and some colorful or patterned tops - add a few cute accessories and plan to get some cute stuff on your trip.
Jan 21st, 2006, 12:27 PM

ps seriously, I am really into shoes - own hundreds - but for this kind of trip - one pair - two max - but not as many as you have - too heavy and it is not worth it - NO ONE IS GOING TO CARE WHAT SHOES YOU ARE WEARING - and most photos are horizontal so no one will even see them in the photos! not trying to be mean, but trying to make your trip easier.
Jan 21st, 2006, 02:21 PM

Minx,

Re: sandals in May. We were in Italy in late May in 2004 and the temps were in the 80s. I wore my sandals and was very happy I had a few pairs with me. (Incidentally, they were 3" wedge heels from Born, super comfy. I have been wearing high heels for many years and don't own any flats. But as I've been born and raised in Russia, I am very used to high heels).
Jan 21st, 2006, 02:38 PM

what about trendy puma or lacoste shoes? wouldn't that be considered fashionable and comfy with a nice pair of comfy jeans? How about Shorts (not that short) in Italy? Is that a nono?
Jan 21st, 2006, 05:58 PM

I just bought a pair of super comfy Tsubo black mary-jane style tennis shoes for my trip this spring. i am trying to break them in now so as to prevent problems there. I am plannig on taking gaucho's for the majority of my pants as they are comfortable yet can be dressed up or down - another plus is that they will pack easily. I am going in March and I hear the weather can be unpredictable so on colder days I can wear them with boots and tights and on warmer days jsut the tennis shoes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO