another cosmetics thread

Mar 11th, 2002, 11:38 AM
beth anderson

another cosmetics thread

Hi all

just thought I would put in my two cents here.

In London, Boots seems to have a permanent sale on No 7 cosmetics. It's been buy two get one free for some time now. Their Skin Defence Foundation is WONDERFUL. 40 ml, 3 tubes runs 14 pounds or so.

and another new favorite is a handcream I got in Cannes last year, and have just discovered online. It's made by Oliviers & Co. The olive oil soap is 5 bucks a bar and it is HEAVENLY. The hand cream is also just yummy - it's 22 bucks for a 3.3 oz. tube.

www.oliviers-co.com

and I go nuts in L'Occitane... love that verveine soap...

anyone else?

beth

Mar 11th, 2002, 11:44 AM
MaryC

Me too, Beth, I love L'Occitane. Just dropped $55 there t'other day on hand cream and hand "mask" and the verbena products. (Reminds of the lemon verbena stuff that the teacher wore in the "Little House" books).

But I've been dying to go into the Lush stores in London. Just haven't had an opportunity to go yet. Found out about them AFTER my last trip. Oh well. : )

Mar 11th, 2002, 11:46 AM
xxx

Beth, for being unemployed you certainly have a lot of extraneous cash. You might consider curtailing your expenses and save for your retirement, or god forbid, your unemployment runs out while you are still unemployed.

Now back to travel ...

Mar 11th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Sandra

Easy there, X! Please cut beth some slack...

for many of us, shopping is a very important part of traveling, as it affords us the opportunity to discover and/or purchase certain products that we wouldn't otherwise be able to find at home. I think it's sweet of Beth to share this info. Thanks, Beth.

Mar 11th, 2002, 11:56 AM
beth anderson

my dear, what on earth makes you think I need (or even get) unemployment? or have a need to save for retirement?

as if it were your business anyway...

sheesh.

Mar 11th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Scarlett

Aaah ,Beth darlin..it seems that the homely and less interesting always are attracted to discussion on shopping and beauty products, ever notice that? Well, sugar, I am sooo used to cranky people that are much less lovely than I, making nasty remarks to me and behind my back, but you know what I say...just put on your best RED dress and you go right out there and show them!
Besides, what good is all that hard work and all those hours you put into making your money,if you can't buy yourself some little ole perfume and stuff?
I loooove Penhaligans scents for the summer. L'Occitane for lotions and lip balms, we Southern beauties must keep our lips soft you know~ Lately I have a hankering for any of those products from Jo Malone, sooo English and smell so fine.
Talk to ya later, honey pie~
Scarlett

Mar 11th, 2002, 01:20 PM
c

Whenever I am in London, I always want to go to one of those great haircutters and get a real London haircut~as if there were such a thing! but at Nicky Clark and Tony and Guy, there are always great looking haircuts walking out of there!
For those with dry skin, there is a lotion/cream called E45 that is wonderful.No scent, works like a dream~
C

Mar 11th, 2002, 02:08 PM
notduped

Beth's background is rather dubious although she is certainly a prolific poster. She appears to have a separate income apart from her work as an "attorney". Or maybe she has a trust fund. When I lived in resort areas and saw people who lived a high lifestyle with no visible means of support that they either had a trust fund check in the mail every month or a nice alimony check. I hestitate to even write this because I believe she thrives on the attention she receives here, so really her life can't be that exciting...but there is something about her that doesn't ring true.

Mar 11th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Judy

Hi Beth, did you happen to find a great hand?cuticle cream? My hands are pretty cracked and dry.
I do like Boots bath therapy soak for aching muscles, very effective.
I m going to try Penhaglions this time.
Judy

Mar 11th, 2002, 02:13 PM
Grasshopper

Ah Not Duped and XXX, how free we are with criticism under the mask of anonymity. Post with a consistent name and you earn the right to voice conflicting opinions. But under no name do you have the right to speculate on Beth's financial wherewithall. I think you are small minded and jealous.

Mar 11th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Question

Are you ALL bored? Can't we keep this to cosmetics. Who cares who works, who has some other income. What's the difference? (As long as they don't steal it!!!!!)

Mar 11th, 2002, 02:37 PM
Betsy

Try the soap at Lush called figs and leaves. Outstanding!

Mar 11th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Sue

Help! I've always had nice nails (as opposed to the rest of my body), but for some reason (turning 60?) the last few months they are just falling apart, especially cracking at edges, also dry cuticles. Does anyone have any super products to suggest, foreign or otherwise? I would be eternally grateful! I'll also head to Oliviers in April to look for the olive oil stuff, Beth. Thanks for the tip. xxx and Notduped, go soak your heads in a pot of treacle; maybe it'll give you a sweeter disposition.

Mar 11th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Puzzled

For an unemployed attorney searching for a job overseas, Beth certainly seems to have enough assets to get around. I also agree that it seems that she seeks a great deal of attention from these boards. I suppose it is to inflate her deflated ego, as only her cyberfriends seems to stroke her, oohing and ahhing. Beth, do you have any real friends? I suppose make up would help your appearance.

Mar 11th, 2002, 03:21 PM
karen blixen

well ,"puzzled" obviously is no attorney, what a stunning example of a leap of logic...

he states that only her cyberfriends seem to stroke her, oohing and aahing, yet, how would he have evidence of any other kind, here on fodors? hello? am I missing something?

what she looks like is no one's business. sounds like more jealousy - if you know you can't knock 'em one way, knock 'em another - when there is no tangible evidence of what you are making little of, you can pretend all you like, right?

methinks puzzled is neither moneyed nor gorgeous, or he wouldn't concern himself with such mundane matters on an online forum.

yowza.

Mar 11th, 2002, 03:31 PM
X

Beth,

Lush sounds wonderful. We will be in London soon and definitely plan to stop in.

I read somewhere that they have a mini-massage bar in the Covent Garden store... is this right?? That would be heavenly.

L'Occitane is another thing I would like to try. They had a presentation of products on QVC the other day -- of all places. It sounded great, but I wanted to smell first before buying. Hopefully I can find some in London!

Mar 11th, 2002, 03:44 PM
kate

Hi Beth,
reading this is like bouncing back and forth between the not popular kids with acne and the girls that have something going for them...can you guess which one is which
Anyway~~~~~~
Speaking of Boots and lotions and potions, I love anything from Neals Yard! I try to stock up everytime I am able to shop there, and you can get great gifts for friends...and for your detractor with so many names, I for one, am a trust fund baby and proud of it.I do not work, not for pay anyway, and I am a shopper and traveler.
Now----What difference does that make to anyone?

Mar 11th, 2002, 03:47 PM
Fran

Sounds really good to me , Kate!!

Isn't jealousy a terrible thing??

Mar 11th, 2002, 03:54 PM
John H

Hi, Beth,

Three female traveling companions of mine went crazy over the Oliviers & Co. hand cream when we were in Paris in Sept 2000. They bought about a dozen tubes in Paris at a store in the 6th arrondisement. But, upon returning last summer, one of them was told the store didn't carry it any longer. And, I was unable to find it on the company's web site. It now looks like you can indeed buy it online.

Did you buy online? If not, where did you --or any other posters here -- get it in France? (We'll be in Paris and in the Nice area in September).

Much thanks -- my traveling companions will be very happy!

John H

Mar 11th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Hey

I think Kate is full of hot air, trust fund my eye. And I don't think you should make judgements of people with acne when you are supposedly talking about cosmetics that you all must need to cover some imperfection.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO