Another car query for Tuscany!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, We will be staying in Tuscany ( late November) and will have a rental car for that portion of our trip. My question is for the next portion about the roads and traffic. We are toying with the idea of keeping the car and dropping it off at the Naples Airport, The drop-off fee is 100e, pretty much a wash with the cost of train tickets (4 of u ) and more importantly, the time it would take to drop off the car at the Florence airport and get back to Florence to pop on the bullet train from where we are staying. My time estimate for that is 2.5+ hours. On Rome2Rio it says from where we are staying to the Naples airport is 4 hours. We would be driving on a Sunday if that makes a difference too.

That said, what I do not know is what is the reality of driving from outside of Florence ( not in the city) to Naples Airport. Especially the part getting into the airport area of Naples. Looking at the map it seems we would completely bypass Rome so the traffic shouldn't be too bad? I had read elsewhere that driving the portion from Rome to Naples was congested and wanted to see if we would be missing that not needing to enter into Rome or Naples.

Other questions would be tolls and navigating them.

We are using public transportation in other parts of our trip, just curious what your thoughts are for this part.

Thank you!
Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 05:44 PM

You're just driving to the airport? It wouldn't be a hard drive. I guess it depends on what you're used to. But the A1 is mostly only two lanes. I wouldn't personally call it bumper to bumper but you might have some.

https://www.autostrade.it/en/pedaggio

Use that to calculate tolls.

Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 11:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I guess the worst that can happen with your plan is it takes 6 hours not 4. I'm so used to using the train that I still wouldn't use a car but from your discription of your situation even I might consider it sensible. Naples airport is very close to the city centre which is a real help and public transport into town is dead easy.
Old Jul 23rd, 2023, 06:31 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We were in a similar situation as the one you are planning. We realized it would. , at that time, be both easier and less expensive to keep the rental car we we had been using in Spello, Umbria for two weeks to drive to Naples instead of using trains.
The drive was almost all on Autostradas, like interstate highways in US. The Naples airport sits at the top of the city and was very easy to access without driving into the city. . We dropped it off, took a taxi to our Naples hotel. One tip: print our the set taxi fares for Naples taxis! . Our driver quoted a much higher price until we showed him the Naples city rates. He shrugged his shoulders and complied with set rates! The drive from Umbria south to Naples, farther than from Tuscany, was so easy! Enjoy your trip.
Old Jul 23rd, 2023, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all! I appreciate the insights and the links. I agree the train is such an easy mode of transportation but I think we will drive, and stop somewhere along the way for lunch! Any suggestions as to a nice spot to visit or any other sights we should pull over and see?

Old Jul 24th, 2023, 07:27 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Go to wanderlog.com and enter your beginning and endin locations. Choose your stops, dining etc.