Anonymous Postings

Jun 23rd, 2001, 02:06 PM
Celeste

Anonymous Postings

Does it bother people that Fodors allows people to post anonymously? I've noticed that some of the really obnoxious and/or crude questions and answers usually come from anonymous posters and wonder why Fodors allows this practice? Would you like to see it stop, or continue?

Jun 23rd, 2001, 02:54 PM
Gerry K

I'd prefer to see it stop. If it were, I believe, more time would be devoted to genuine travel topics.

Cheers,

Gerry K

Jun 23rd, 2001, 04:04 PM
kam

Hi Celeste. I'm one of the people who post using false email addresses. I didn't used to do this, but have had such bad experiences with threatening emails and lots of spam. I think I've never been obnoxious in my posts. I just prefer that the general public and those nasties who sometimes read the Fodor's posts, don't know my real email address. I have also responded privately to those who have requested my help and who seem to be genuine. I guess if Fodor's required registration, I would post with my real email, but I would be nervous knowing that anyone could read it and then later email me. I really value privacy! But, I love the Fodor's postings. What to do?

Jun 23rd, 2001, 04:17 PM
JOdy

I agree with Kam, I try always to use my own name and email. But I have been bombarded with spam, fortunatley I don't use my primary email address for fodors.I have met some wonderful people thru this forum and I think it is unfortunate that when one wants to answer an "iffy' question they have to resort to "xxx.com'
I have noticed more and more foul, antagonistic, and not pleasant postings, namecalling and other unpleasant things. I think all these "what if", what is your opinion of a situation", PC questions defeat the purpose. Iwant to know about restaurants, hotels, route, sights, etc. I really don't care if youwear perfume or carry a backpack . Wish we could all be friends, life is too short to have all these hangups and sarcastic arguments and comments

Jun 23rd, 2001, 04:28 PM
Linda

JOdy, agree! Life IS too short!

Jun 23rd, 2001, 04:34 PM
Art

Hi Celest, I have never posted anonymously. Many forums require you to have a valid email address, although it is very easy to get several. There was a long thread about a year ago on this with varied responses. I look at it this way, If I get spammed, I will immediatly post the email of the spammer on the forum. I've only had about 3 spams in 2 years and they were mostly innocous and I'm very good at pressing the delete key. I've looked at other forums and none of them are nearly as good as this one so I'll keep posting.
Regards
Art

Jun 23rd, 2001, 05:39 PM
Shel

I post anonymously because I don't want to receive junk email. I am an email superuser--for my work I get about 120 emails per day. I don't need anything superfluous.

I post a lot of suggestions on this site. If I was forced to register I would stop.

On the other hand, I am equally disappointed by those who post negative messages anonymously.

Jun 23rd, 2001, 06:02 PM
Paule

I haven't noticed an increase of SPAM mail since I began posting, though there has always been a percentage of it since I began to use the internet. And I've never gotten any nasty emails from people because of what I've posted on Fodor's. Personally, I think registration and using one's real address would cut down considerably on the nasty posts that occur with some frequency. I don't think there's any way that Fodor's can actually stop the obnoxious postings without having a registration policy or becoming a censor.
my 2 cents worth,
Paule

Jun 23rd, 2001, 06:11 PM
Rex

I think that the issue(s) of an "identity" here - - and spam - - are not at all related (necessarily). Over the past two years here, I have used my name for nearly 3000 posts, and perhaps hundreds others under anonymous or spoofing identities.

I have, at various times used two different e-mail addresses - - hotmail.com and usa.net - - for all practical purposes, I can no longer use my hotmail address because of the large quantity of spam it receives -- but also because it does not allow POP3 retrieval. Even hotmail's bulk mail feature only catches about 60-70% of it. but a lot of it I bropught on myself (stock market crap). I connect essentially none of the spam with this forum. By contrast, my usa.net gets almost no spam (1-2 pieces a week, out of 20-50 legitimate e-mails a week I get).

The (concealed, if desired) identity of someone posting here will most likely ALWAYS be protected here. It is inherently part of "Internet culture". An identity can be "simple anonymous" (noname) or "who knows" anonymous ("Jack"), "spoofing anonymous" (George W Bush), or misleading anonymous - - appearing to be someone else's well-established "identity".

The first three will probably always be protected; indeed it is hard to keep people from doing any of the three of these. The latter does not have to be tolerated - - by the requirement of registration. This prevents the use of someone else's "registered" name.

I created quite a furor here several months ago with a spoofing post which appeared to come from the editors of Fodors. A few people got, or suspected the spoof; a larger number did not, and called for my banishment.

It was a wrong way for me to bring this subject to the fore. I apologized for my poor judgment on that thread, and Fodors promptly removed the entire thread. But it is perhaps still an important subject.

In an ironic twist, the initial message on that thread was sort of "a call to arms" to solve the problem - - of exactly what I was doing - - posting under an identity that did not belong to me. And that is not what Celeste is really talking about.

Registration will not solve the problem that has her annoyed. And the problem of posting under a misleading identity is a real problem, but very rare. Visitors here and on other Internet forum sites will still no doubt enjoy the opportunity to register fictitiously. To try to block that will place a huge and unpalatable burden on this forum. On their very pupular stock market message boards, Yahoo allows anyone and everyone to see if an identity was registered "just yesterday", but so what. They still do not allow anyone to see how many other identities a registered user may have registered. Nor who owns certain registered names under a single "identity". Some court cases (involving the SEC) have actually rarisen out of the use of misleading (multiple) identities on those stock market boards.

Ignoring the bad posts (and allowing Fodors to remove the very MOST offensive ones) remain the best tools for dealing with obnoxious messages. And defining "obnoxious" is surely not an easy task; Fodors and RandomHouse own the site, it is their place to call it as they see it.

I am currently not FOR registration, nor AGAINST it either.

Best wishes,

Rex

As a separate aside, this post is 609 words long - - under today's new format changes, I wonder if it will post as a single message (as was allowed with the last format change on March 31).

Jun 23rd, 2001, 06:33 PM
anonomous

I do it cuz i like to troll

Jun 24th, 2001, 06:05 AM
Ron

I don't really like anonymous posters but I can understand why some people like to remain anonymous. I skip over the trollish and rude posts and I don't post a reply to them or do anything to bring them to the top. If the trolls and rude postings are allowed to die they seem to dissapear within a day or two. I think that requiring a registration would keep some valuable comments away and may be more work than fodors is willing to consider for this forum.
I have five email addresses that I use for various things. It helps me compartmentalize my messages. When I post on fodors this is the address I use and it is valid although I only use my first name. If you reply to this address, I will get the mail. If I reply to you privately I would use the email address from home with my full name or I would use this address. The last time I looked, there were four people in the US with the same first and last name as me. One of them has the same middle initial. I like to have at least a slight degree of anonymity.
Different people get different addresses depending on the type of communication I expect from them. The nice thing about my email is that all of them can be deleted without downloading. (Very valuable with a 56K line.) Any mail that I get from someone I don't recognize goes straight to the trash can without opening to avoid the possibility of viruses. I may miss an occasional interesting or important email but I don't need to take the chance.
If the main concern is spam, an easy way to work around this while still providing an email address is to put something extra in your email address such as [email protected] or [email protected]. This is enough for most people to recognize the real email. The people who harvest email addresses for spamming don't usually review them for accuracy. They just want to tell their advertisers that they sent out three million email adverts.

Jun 24th, 2001, 06:21 AM
BTilke

I use a real email address and have not had any notable increase in spam as a result. I have gotten some genuine email from people asking for more information and I was/am happy to help them if possible. Some people may indeed use anonymous names to minimize their spam (or because they're posting at the office when they should be working <g>), but so far, the majority of anonymous "handles" I see belong to people who like to post trolling, inflammatory or just plain idiotic messages.
Users should be required to register and Fodors should do a better job of monitoring the site, but given the current layoffs and whatnot, I don't see that happening.
BTilke

Jun 24th, 2001, 06:52 AM
Diane

I usually use my free email for internet forum-type postings. I get less Spam email at this address than at my other home email address. Sometimes I may respond with a fake email when there's a particularly tart reply justified that I wouldn't want traced back to me due to potential retaliation...

Jun 24th, 2001, 07:10 AM
JOdy

RON>
Great idea, about adding "nospam" to your email address. Even though yahoo has a bulk mailfolder sometimes at the end of the week I'll have 40 or more messages in it ,and frequently things are sent to my regular inbox folder that are definitely spam in my estimation.
My regular email also has a spamguard feature that seems to work much better than yahoos, maybe only 1 or 2 things a week get thru.
Thanks for the hint!

Jun 24th, 2001, 09:09 AM
AnnaC

When I first started posting here, a year or so ago, I used my correct e-mail address. Then, I got a few spam e-mails which I am fairly sure got my address from this forum (one was actually honest enough to say they had, the others were US-biased and since I am English, it seems a good guess they came from here). So, I stopped using my e-mail address. I've decided recently to have another go at using my real e-mail address but, if I start getting lots of spams again, I'll stop.

Although the level of offensive postings is much higher on the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree, I do like their registration system. You give LP your e-mail address but it isn't made public unless you choose. That way, you don't get spams, but you can be contacted if necessary. They also have a private message system whereby registered users can send other registered users messages that you see when you log in. That way you can communicate privately with other users without sharing e-mail addresses, or you can share your e-mail without it becoming public.

There is still the problem of unregistered offensive/rude posts, as you don't have to be registered to use the Thorn Tree, but I still think their system is a good one.

Perhaps Fodor's would consider doing something similar?

Jun 24th, 2001, 01:21 PM
anon

Anon postings are harmless and a part of internet culture. They often enliven discussion and enhance entertainment value. Nothing at all wrong with not wanting to use your email.

What is not harmless is fooling others by posing as another regular forum poster or even posing as the editors of this site.

Jun 24th, 2001, 02:08 PM
Capo

I'm very curious about why some people seem to be getting so much spam due to using their email addresses on this site. I've been using my email address ever since I started posting here about five months ago and the level of spam I've received hasn't grown significantly, if at all.

About anonymous postings... I have no problem with them if they're done to give information, offer opinions, or have fun. As "anon" said above, they're part of internet culture.

I do, however, have have a problem with anonymous posts if they're done to snipe at people; I think "attack" posts like that are not only mean-spirited, but cowardly.

I also agree with "anon" that what is very inappropriate is fooling others by posing as another regular forum poster or posing as the editors of this site.

Jun 25th, 2001, 05:23 AM
AnnaC

Well, I've been posting here for only 3-4 days using my real e-mail address (having withheld it for months) and already I have a spam e-mail, that I'm sure has used Fodor's to get my address.

I'm going to continue using my real e-mail address a little longer, but if this carries on, I'll revert to being "anonymous". Having said that, I'll always keep using AnnaC as my username, so you'll know who I am.

Jun 25th, 2001, 06:47 AM
frank

ALL posters are anonymous.
"Real" email IDs don't identify you.
I can understand that some use them because they want to invite replies to that box.

Many post valuable info under fake IDs.
Many post genuine inquiries under fake IDs.
Some like you just whine & consume bandwith & start pointless "discussions".

Go back to AOL if you have no travel questions, troll.
This board works fine.

Jun 25th, 2001, 03:25 PM
Clara

What is spam???????

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO