Search

Anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anniversary

So we made it to 5 years despite the predictions, and since we didn't officially take a honeymoon (we paid for the wedding ourselves), we think we are deserving of a nice anniversary. The problem is we have no idea where to go. We have roughly $4,000 (maybe a little more), and no idea how to spend it. We've considered Paris, Ireland, or Italy. One of us wants R&R; the other wants culture. Any ideas for something great within this budget for roughly 10 days in August? (We haven't been anywhere but Thailand.) Thanks!

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 06:40 PM

We're also doing a Europe trip for our 5 year anniversary. (Go 2002 couples!) We have 9 days (8 nights) and decided to do Monaco, the French Riviera and Paris. We are flying into Nice, spending a night in Monte Carlo, spending the next 3 days in Cannes, and then heading up to Paris. We, too, wanted both R&R and culture, so we're starting with the sun and sea down in Monaco and the Riviera to relax and then heading up to Paris for culture. The same could be done in Italy, say Rome and the Amalfi Coast. Another option is an England/Scotland trip or England/Ireland. I know nothing of the English seashore, but I know there is one. Another option to combine culture and relaxation is a combo trip to the Greek Isles and Athens. A Mykonos/Santorini trip was high on our list (we almost went there instead). I think a lot of these could be done on your budget if you get low cost airfare (book now and be flexible with dates and times, b/c frankly we just spent a LOT for airfare to France, and it would eat up most your budget) and if you commit to staying at b&b's or 3-star hotels. Have a great time!
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 06:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
well, I personally would not go to Italy in August - most parts are HOT and humid. Paris is not at it's best in August - again hot, plus some places close for the month.

Ireland (or my favorite - Scotland) would be my choice. Either place would give you R&R chances plus tons of history/culture.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 06:46 PM

Ack, I didn't read the August part. The above poster is right that August is not the best time to visit either Italy or France, b/c it is hot and a lot of the country goes on vacation, so some things will be closed. But you could still do it and have a great time, if you remain flexible. Or go somewhere else entirely. Presumably the coastal areas of both France and Italy would be very busy, but the cities semi-deserted (someone correct me if I am wrong).
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 01:40 AM

Istanbul and Cappadocia......
Istanbul for culture & history and fun, Cappadocia dry sunny and cooler in the evenings for rest & peace and quality time to spend together at unique hotels, an early morning hot air ballooning with champagne will add the honeymoon feeling and romance on the air ;-)

Happy travelling,
Murat
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 02:11 AM
ira

Hi 24,

The Old Queen went to Scotland in August.

Does your $4000 include airfare?