Reload this Page >

Annecy or Menton?

Search

Annecy or Menton?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 08:57 AM
suzann

Annecy or Menton?

I'm in the speculation phase of my next trip, May 2000, and I can't decide whether to go to Annecy or Menton. I like long scenic walks, historic "old towns," but I *hate* crowds. Any suggestions? Thanks. <BR>suzann

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 09:15 AM
Phil

I've been to Annecy, and I'm going back again, wonderful city, naturally the old town and the lake. I haven't been to Menton, but I have been to Nice and Monte Carlo. It depends on where you are coming from as to which to choose. Menton is on the Mediteranian and Annecy is north near Geneva.

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 09:39 AM
Andria

I decided to forget about choosing between the two so I'm going to Annecy and St. Jean Cap Ferrat. How long are you going for. My fiance and I are heading to france for 14 days in late may 2000.

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 11:06 AM
suzann

Andria, <BR>I'll only have about 8-10 days of travel, and I want to spend some time in Paris, too -- it's been a few years since I've been back. So that means only two spots, max. <BR>suzann

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 11:36 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Suzan, It really depends on what you like. I love Menton but it is further <BR>for you and is a semi-tropical resort <BR>town on the Med. Annecy is much different and will be cooler than the <BR>coast. May is a good time for both.

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 11:52 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Suzann, this is a bit off the subject of your question, but I'm bit bored today. <BR> <BR>This march, we planned a trip to Paris and Menton and had originally used frequent flyer miles to book flights to Paris and thought we'd take the train down to Menton. But this turned out to be a long trip. So we looked at booking r/t flights from Paris to Nice at about $150 each. <BR> <BR>Then when discussing our travel plans with a friend, he slapped me on the back of the head (figuratively) and said, "why don't you use your frequent flyer miles to fly to Nice through Paris with a 5-day stop-over in Paris?" Since Air France accepts Delta FF Miles, this was possible, and saved us the cost of the flight to Nice. <BR> <BR>Of course, our trip was cancelled for unrelated reasons so I can't tell you anything about Menton. C'est la vie. <BR> <BR>But even if you're buying your ticket, check out the price of flying through to one destination with a stop-over in the other. May save some money.

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 02:11 PM
steve

Have not been to Menton but was just in <BR>Annecy in July. It is very pretty, good for walking and the old town is charming. But there were quite a lot of people. That's just the nature of the "good place to visit" beast.

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 02:20 PM
John

Hi, Suzann, <BR>Both are great, two of our faves in France. Like Bob says, do you want mountains and lakes or beaches and lemons? But you know, it's not that long a train or car ride from one to the other, so why not both?

Old Aug 29th, 1999, 08:50 AM
suzann

Folks: <BR> <BR>Thank you so much for your thoughtful responses. John, Steve, and Bob the NAV: you have almost convinced me to skip Paris (again!) and do both Annecy and Menton. That might be easier than trying to decide between two perfectly wonderful spots. Brian: your advice is priceless and brilliant! I never would'a thunk of it! Thank you all!! <BR>Suzann