Annecy or Lac Leman?

Apr 7th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Annecy or Lac Leman?

I would like to spend a couple days at a lake near Geneva. The web photos of Annecy look so charming with the canal running through the village. On the other hand, my next destination is Grindelwald, and Lac Leman or Interlaken are on the way but Annecy is in the opposite direction.
For a fun village with shopping, a pretty church and a nearby castle to visit, which is better- Annecy or a town along the shores of Lac Leman or Interlaken?
Apr 7th, 2007, 01:44 PM

Dont understand your question. Geneva lays on Lac Leman. And Annecy is just 15 miles or less from Geneva. 20 minutes drive or so. And this short distance wont hinder you on your way to Grindelwald or Interlaken.
Sure, Annecy has his own lake. But you cant compare it with Lac Leman. Anyway, Annecy is in France and so accommodation, restaurants etc. are somewhat cheaper than in Switzerland.
Apr 7th, 2007, 01:47 PM

Actually, I think it's an interesting question. I'm thinking of going myself to Annecy this summer and wonder how it compares to Lac Leman.
Apr 7th, 2007, 02:02 PM

Never been to Lac Leman but we stayed twice at Lac Annecy. It's very beautiful.
Rent the French film "Claire's Knee."
Good views of Annecy.
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Cigalechanta. I'll see if I can find it in the foreign films section of my local video store.
Apr 8th, 2007, 05:59 AM

My visit to Annecy was many years ago, and I remember it as a beautiful town. Or perhaps I should say large town with beautiful vieux ville. I would not have called it a village even then. Quite a bustling place. Trains are via Lyon, and there seems to be a bus service of sorts around the lake (voyages-crolard).

Villages are my preference, so I'd select a smaller town somewhere on the lake, but I have to confess that I would probably miss the convenience of the rail system to lake villages such as you find on Lac Leman. However, if you're driving, that's another story.

schuler, I'll be interested to read your impressions. Good luck with your decision, nankypoo (We watched The Mikado just last week; a Canadian production, gorgeous.) J.
Apr 8th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Annecy is a beautiful town. We used to take the bus from Geneva which took about an hour. It is a gorgeous drive. You really can't go wrong with any town in the area! La vielle ville is very charming and the lake with the surrounding French alps in the summer is stunning. There's a reason they make travel posters from Annecy. Great raclette restaurant in la vielle ville and the most delicious pain au chocolat as well.

Another beautiful town on Lac Leman is Vevey--just about 20 minutes east of Lausanne. The walk down by the lake is gorgeous. You are also just 20 minutes by train to Chateau de Chillon which is a great castle to visit. So picturesque as it sits right on Lac Leman surrounded by Swiss and French Alps. Also you could sidetrack to Gruyeres from there as well.

Both beautiful cities. I'm taking my kids to see both this summer!
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:36 AM

I think of Annecy more as a resort mountain lake town? Lac Leman towns are simply "normal" (and fantastically beautiful) Switzerland.

Vevey or Montreux fit what you describe as far as church, castle, village (actually a town or small city more I'd say) etc.

Sorry don't know Interlaken to compare.
Apr 8th, 2007, 10:49 AM

bookmark
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:04 PM

Annecy has my vote handsdown for all the reasons cited above...for those same reasons, try to avoid a week end! The masses descend upon this gem.

We loved the market along the canals; I believe it was on a Tuesday. Lunch boat cruise (2hr) that follows around the lake shore is most enjoyable (and air conditioned if it's hot)-elegant dining room, excellent food, and stunning views with commentary.
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:18 PM

annecy
Apr 8th, 2007, 01:41 PM

My family lives in Thonon-les-Bains, about 20 minutes from Annecy, also on Lac Leman. It's beautiful and it's also close driving distance to Vevey, Montreux, Evian, etc. There's also a medieval town called Yvoire (5 min. from Thonon) which is really stunning, with beautiful flowers, great crepes-- gorgeous! I like Annecy too, good shopping...
Apr 8th, 2007, 01:55 PM

Annecy is beautiful but found it difficult to find a restaurant with decent food. But I would still choose it.
Apr 16th, 2007, 09:41 AM

I will chime in with one more vote for Annecy; it is gorgeous. I rode the bus over from Geneva; took the train back (at least at time the train arrived in a small station some distance from the main Geneva station). Also on that trip spent two nigths in Lauderbrunnen. These are two of my favorite places.