Reload this Page >

Andalusia car rental question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 10:47 AM
canuck

If you pick up a car in Seville and drop off in Granada do they charge you extra? a drop-off fee? We usually rent our cars from here but wondering if there are better rates for Andalusia once we get to Seville. And finally, since I've read on this board often that we don't need a car in Seville, where would you suggest we pick up our car on the day we're heading out of town? Is there any way to avoid driving through town or will we have no problems doing this? Thanks for any help you can give me...

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 11:14 AM
mary lewis

We kind of did the opposite - picked up our car in Cordoba, spent a week touring Andalusia and then dropped it off in Seville before spending our 3 days there. However, I think I could safely advise you to pick up your car in Seville at the airport. It is in a "suburban" area that you can get right on the tollway/main highway with very little trouble - no going through town at all. Just make sure the taxi drivers aren't on strike - we had a hard time getting into town from the airport (which won't be your problem).

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Rob

I'm picking up a car in Sevilla and dropping it off in Cordoba with Avis with no drop off charge

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 11:18 AM
mary lewis

forgot to mention we also rented from Avis - and no drop-off fee.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Maribel

canuck,<BR>I suggest you pick up your car at Santa Justa train station on your day of departure. Just get there early, when the office opens (ask your rental co.-probably 9 a.m., maybe earlier). It's easier to pick up at Santa Justa than to drop off, and both Hertz and Avis and others have offices there. Some Fodorites have picked up and dropped off cars at Hertz' Luis Montoto office, right near the Avenida Menendez Pelayo, which is closer to the Santa Cruz quarter and have found it convenient. <BR>No, there isn't a drop-off fee within Spain-only if you drop off in another country. When we picked up our second rental in Pamplona last summer, we decided at the last minute to change our drop off from Bilbao to Madrid, and there wasn't an extra charge for changing that either.<BR><BR>You'll get much better rates by arranging your rental before you arrive in Spain. We've rented in the past with Hertz, Avis and Europcar (others here swear by Auto Europe) -sometimes a pre-pay and sometimes not, but the rate is always better stateside than the rate you'll be offered once you arrive in Spain. We've found no difference in rates starting in one city over another.<BR>Hope this helps.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Maribel

canuck,<BR>Forgot to ask you what route you're taking from Seville to Granada. If you're heading south towards Jerez de la Frontera and Arcos to tour the "white towns" first, then the Luis Montoto Hertz branch should be fairly easy. If you're headed straight to Granada on the A 92 to the west, then the airport, I think, may be even better. Mary's suggestion of the airport would certainly be the best way to avoid completely all city traffic and the possibility of getting lost.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 11:35 AM
olga

Canuck,<BR>I totally agree with Maribel on picking the car up at Santa Justa train station.<BR>It´s easy to get there by taxi from your hotel with the luggage, wherever you are staying in town, because it´s very close to the center and yet right by the exit to the ringroad and the Madrid/C&oacute;rdoba and M&aacute;laga/Granada highways.<BR>I´ve rented with Autoeurope and although you reserve and pay through them, the actual rental is done through a major rental car company, normally Avis. I did get a cheaper rate than directly with Avis and I researched EVERYTHING! I even had to make some date changes and they were a breeze. They also give you 24 h. toll free phone numbers for the U.S. and Spain for last minute changes. <BR><BR>They instantly processed the credit card payments and the subsequent refunds after I reduced the rental period.<BR><BR>

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 12:18 PM
canuck

Many thanks for the suggestions. And yes, Maribel we will be heading south towards Jerez..I'm not quite sure what you mean by the Luis Montoto Hertz Branch?? Is this different from the Santa Justa train station and is it only for Hertz rentals??

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 06:33 AM
olga

<BR>Maribel is talking about the other downtown office of Hertz, on Luis Montoto Avenue. It´s very near the Santa Justa station, and normally less crowded, but on the other hand, it´s harder to drive in and out of, because of the one way streets.<BR>Santa Justa has direct access to and from the main highways. <BR>

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Maribel

Hi olga and canuck,<BR>Thanks, that's what I meant, but you'll probably be better off picking up at Santa Justa and avoid the maze of one-way streets. Would be easier.