Andalucia Itinerary

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 09:19 PM
Barbara

Andalucia Itinerary

We have 10 days to spend in Andalucia at the beginning of March, starting off visiting our daughter in Sevilla. We would like to see Granada, Cordoba, the White Towns, and possibly other side trips and would like opinions about how we should divide our time among the various cities. I gather from the other postings that people find it safe to drive in Spain, but did wonder if it might be easier not to have to hassle an auto in Granada and Cordoba.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 04:09 AM
Myriam

I wouldn't be too worried about having a car in any of the cities (provided you are not visiting around Easter!!). Just park it in a parking garage during your visit or try to find a hotel with parking facility. <BR>You will be able to see so much more of Andaluc&iacute;a when you can drive yourself.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 11:47 AM
Davidx

I have spent a lot of time in Andalucia without a car and, although it means a bit of planning, I have never really felt the need of one. I shall try to e-mail you some notes so let me know if they do not arrive.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 12:12 PM
Alyssa

I visited Andalucia in 1996--it was an amazing trip! No matter what you do you'll have a great time. We drove, and the roads were in great shape. We drove from Malaga (airport) to Granada to Cordoba to Sevilla and then to Marbella. I would definately use a car if you want to visit some smaller hill towns along the way. Carmona was nice for a stop (between Sevilla & Cordoba). Rhonda (in the mountains before reaching Marbella on the coast)is beautiful. Arcos de la Frontera is a white hill town also close to Sevilla with great views & tiny streets to meander through. I would leave at least 3 days in Sevilla, 2 days in Cordoba, and 2 in Granada. If I remember correctly it took about 1:30 & 2:00 hrs to drive between the cities without stopping. You will not need your car in these cities. It may be confusing finding your hotel by car when entering the cities-you might want to try www.viamichelin.com to map out your itinerery. Hope this helps!

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 12:43 PM
Steph

My husband and I drove around Andaluc&iacute;a tis past January. It was wonderful! You get to see so much more this way. We drove during siesta time after lunch so we pretty much had the roads to ourselves. We spent two nights in Granada, three in Sevilla and one in C&oacute;rdoba. I would have stayed at least one more in all three. We also went to Puerto Banus. Major mistake! Nothing going on in the middle of the winter.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 02:52 PM
Pedro

While touring Andalusia in summer almost lead you to big cities ( for its obvious interest ) and the coast, in March you will discover a gorgeous landscape wherever you go, so I would definitely drive ( not much traffic as well, lots of highways if necessary ). I would suggest you to start three days in Sevilla, then two days in Jerez ( day trip to Cadiz ), then two in Ronda, two in Granada and one in Cordoba. With those places as base you might choose among many places to see in the surroundings.<BR><BR>The route might be the following:<BR><BR>Sevilla-Jerez (side trip to Cadiz or Sanlucar de Barrameda or Bolonia/Tarifa/Gibraltar)<BR>Jerez-Arcos-Zahara-Ronda (side trip to Marbella/Puerto Ban&uacute;s or Casares/Castellar/Gibraltar)<BR>Ronda-Antequera-Granada (through El Torcal Natural Park) or Ronda-Malaga-Nerja-Granada<BR>Granada-Montefr&iacute;o-Priego-Cordoba<BR>Cordoba-Ecija-Carmona-Sevilla<BR><BR>There are many public underground parkings everywhere in Sevilla and Granada although sometimes they seem to be a bit hidden, just follow the sign "P". <BR><BR>I would say the must see things could be: Sevilla center, The Alhambra in Granada, Jerez wineries, Ronda and the Mosque in Cordoba, but there are so many things to see and do that wherever you go I am certain you will enjoy.<BR><BR>Other beautiful areas: Cadiz province beaches, Gibraltar rock, Guadix area, Aracena range villages, Osuna/Estepa, Sierra Nevada, Ubeda/Baeza/Cazorla, Cabo de Gata beaches and landscapes, etc

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 09:01 PM
PW

This summer we rented a car in Granada and drove through the White Hill Towns and to Cordoba and then Seville. I'd definitely recommend renting a car -- the earlier portion of our trip we took buses. This was fun (lots of local contact) but very inconvenient (spent lots of time in Spanish bus stations...not that exciting!).<BR><BR>While the driving between the cities was safe and easy, I found driving in the cities very stressful. Cordoba, in particular, was a maze. We ended up pulling into a lot and taking a taxi to our destination. <BR><BR>This sounds obvious, but I'll mention it anyway: make sure you learn all the basic road signs in Spanish before you leave. We encountered many signs that we couldn't translate (and not in our dictionary) -- this was a bit nerve wracking!<BR><BR>Have fun -- and don't skip Granada. The Alhambra is amazing and the city is charming. You won't be disappointed!

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 05:15 PM
Barbara

Thanks to all who replied! We have some great ideas and can't wait for our trip.<BR>

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 06:52 AM
John

Don't listen to those people who tell you that driving is fine. Driving in Spain is hell. The cities have those narrow winding streets that were designed 1000 years ago before cars. There are almost no street signs and the ones that exist are invisible at night. <BR><BR>Save yourself enormous headaches and don't drive.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 05:22 PM
Maria

Barbara,<BR><BR>Driving on Spanish highways is fine, driving in Spanish cities can be difficult. Do not drive at night, especially on mountainous roads and always arrive in destination city during daylight for less confusion. If you are starting out in Sevilla with your daughter do not rent a car until you are ready to drive straight out of town. I think 3 days in Sevilla is a minimum. <BR>My siggestions for the rest of your trip as follows:<BR>Travel from Sevilla to Ronda via Arcos de la Frontera, El Bosque, Zahara de la Sierra and Grazalema and then spend 2 nights in Ronda.<BR>Then drive from Ronda to Granada via El Burgo, Alora, La Garganta del Chorro, Antequerra then highway to Granada. Spend 2 nights in Granada.<BR>Travel from Granada to Ubeda via Jaen. Spend good part of day in Jaen before going onto Ubeda. 2 nights in Ubeda with 1 day trip to Baeza.<BR>Travel from Ubeda to Cordoba and make a stop in Banos de la Encina (just North of Bailen) to see the incredible castle. Spend 1 or 2 nights in Cordoba.<BR>If you have to trim nights eliminate 1 from Ubeda and spend just one in Cordoba.<BR><BR>I think you are going to love Spain.<BR><BR>Maria

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Grace

Hi all, I'm also planning my trip to Andalucia and I'll be renting a car for the trip. I just have one question: We were thinking about driving from Sevilla to Gibraltar..do you know how long the trip takes? Is it worth while? Any tips? How much time does it take to visit Gibraltar? Thanks fodorites !!!!!!<BR>Gracie

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 07:03 PM
Henry

My wife and I just returned from Spain and Portugal. Driving the highways is relatively easy but the locals are aggressive driving much faster than the limits, passing with no room to spare and pulling back in inches ahead of your car. The cities and small towns are complex, streets are narrow, signs non-existant or confusing. <BR>Having said that the area is beautiful and people are generally helpful. Recommend 1 or 2 days each for Granada and Cordoba, and maybe 2-3 in Seville.<BR>To Grace, I believe it took us about 3 hours from Gibraltor through Cadiz and on to Seville. We took one quick picture of the Rock but did not have time to visit.