Reload this Page >

Andalucia in Dec-Jan

Search

Andalucia in Dec-Jan

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 11:25 PM
Bobby G.

Andalucia in Dec-Jan

Folks,<BR><BR>My wife and I will spend Christmas week and the first week of 2002 in Andalucia, Spain. It will be our fourth trip to the country in four years, and we're only picking places we haven't visited before. Any thoughts on Carmona, Arcos de la Frontera, Ubeda and Malaga (we're staying in Paradors everywhere)?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Bobby G.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 09:48 AM
Davidx

Carmona is a delightful little place. It is some time since I went but the bus from seville did not start at the bus station. It is near it and they can direct you. I went into the Parador for a brandy.<BR>Arcos is very pleasant - I suppose that I was slightly disappointed at leaving the hills to get there.<BR><BR>Frankly I was disappointed with Ubeda. Found I had done all I wanted quite quickly. Malaga is OK for a night but I should not want to spend long there.<BR><BR>Presumably you have been to Jaen - the Parador looks great and I should find it much preferable to Ubeda.<BR>Does Cazorla have a Parador - it's a fabulous place!

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 01:32 PM
Jose

I spent two nights in Carmona Parador last Feb. <BR><BR>It's an incredible place, as it was an old castle. Perfect service. And in the same village you will find more restaurants and hotels in you do not want to stay the whole week in the Parador <BR><BR>Hope you'll enjoy.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 02:11 PM
Pedro

Carmona is a delightful little village with some outstanding places as the Roman Tombs ( in the outskirts ), the Alcazar fortress and the beautiful Major Church as well as some palaces. It is more or less divided in two areas, the New Town and the Old Town. There is also a singular tower ( the one of S. Peter´s Church, called " La Giraldilla" for its resemblance with Sevilian "Giralda" tower. The view from the parador over Corbones valley is awesome.<BR><BR>The Parador at Arcos is probably among the most attractive in Spain. Its situation up in the old city just at the edge of the cliff overlooking Guadalete River is stunning. Arcos may easily be among the most picturesque towns in Spain, with some of the most cute white alleys in Southern Spain, although the town is not as monumental as Carmona. Ubeda´s character come closer to Castilla so you can see somehow white washed fa&ccedil;ades change into golden stone buildings. There are some beautiful renaissance churches and palaces. The Parador has just been renovated so it may offer now its best face. Ubeda also constitutes a perfect base to explore the surroundings, specially Baeza, its twin town and also full of Renaissance buildings and even more character, or Cazorla, at the foot of high mountains with a beautiful castle ( There is a Parador lost in the mountains, an old hunting lodge, a place to breathe among nature )

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 04:17 PM
Mariarosa

Hi bobby! We stayed overnight in Arcos (at hotel Los Olivos, nost as posh as the Parador, but quite nice) and overnight in Jaen (at the Parador). We visited Ubeda and Baeza on the way to Jaen. I thought Arcos, Ubeda and Baeza were all beautiful and they each had their own personality. Arcos was very lively (there was a local parade the day we visited), whereas Baeza was very quiet. All of them are quite small and sleepy and can be seen in 1/2 of a day each. Ubeada and Baeza offered some crafts shopping (such as artisanal foods). We saw the outside of the Paradores in Ubeda and Baeza and they were all historical buildings and looked very nice. The pardor in Jaen was great and it's a short drive from Ubeda and Baeza. I've posted comments on the Jaen parador on this forum. I think your itinerary would allow for some rest and nice drives...I think it will be really nice.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 07:57 PM
Bobby G.

Thanks all for your very helpful insights. We'd loved to have stayed at the Parador in Jaen. but it's booked solid for the period we're in that neighborhood. Cazorla sounds divine -- we may add that to our mix.<BR><BR>Cheers,<BR><BR>Bobby

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 07:21 AM
olga

While in Carmona, have a nice dinner at<BR>the Ferrara restaurant at the Alcazar de la Reina Hotel, and a lunch at the Molino de la Romera, by the parador, a charming old olive oil mill converted into a restaurant bar, great cheap food<BR>by a big fireplace in a traditional andalusian farmhouse atmosphere.<BR><BR><BR>