Ancient sites/spots to see near London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, other than the obvious... Stonehenge, Avebury...<BR><BR>I will be in London for two weeks in September, and would love history... I relish ancient gravesites, stone circles, Roman villas, etc... sooooooo<BR><BR>Any recommendations on places that can be easily gotten to via tube/train from London? Preferably places that will not require an overnight stay... thanks in advance!
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 05:18 PM

Start with the Museum of London, built right on top of a Roman wall!
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 06:55 PM

There is the white horse, which is a neolithic chalk drawing on a hillside. There is a Roman villa. both of these are not far from Blenheim and Oxford (which wwe saw in the same couple of days). also, there are a number of sites near Avebury, including a longbarrow...Kennet I think? In fact, although Stonehenge is more impressive, Avebury and the area near it are more interesting for the ancient scholar. <BR>Of course, there are also the Roman ruins at Bath.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 07:19 PM

Have you been to Shutton Hoo,Anglo-Saxon Must important bury ground? It is outside of Woodbridge,Suffork,train from London to Woodbridge, short bus ride to the site.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 02:56 AM

Or just look at the treasures from Sutton Hoo, in the British Museum. Quite extraordinary work for an era that we think of as primitive and semi-civilized!
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 05:09 AM

Sounds like going to Bath would be perfect for you! I believe it's about 30 minutes via train from Waterloo. Do a search on Bath on this board and you'll see all the raves from those who've been there. It's the perfect day trip so you could easily come back to London the same day. When I was there the last train came back around 10pm which allowed me to have a nice full day there.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 05:30 AM

Going to Kew Gardens is kinda like a trip out of the city. Near end of tube line, but very convenient to tube. Huge amazing garden complex. Well worth the time.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 05:41 AM

Check the times; I believe that Bath is much farther than 30 minutes, but I agree that it's well worth the trip!
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 06:28 AM

I would second an early visit to the Museum of London and the British Museum. You see a lot in one place, in context, and you get clues as to where else you might visit (or not once you've seen what the museum's got). <BR><BR>The MoL in particular will have information on sites in London. The latest thing is a reconstruction/reinvention of Roman water-lifting gear found only a few streets away. www.museum-london.org.uk<BR><BR>Fishbourne Palace outside Chichester is only a couple of hours outside London and has some impressive Roman mosaic floors. <BR>http://www.sussexpast.co.uk/fishbo/fishbo.htm<BR>It's also quite near the Weald Open Air Museum of historic buildings<BR>http://www.wealddown.co.uk/<BR>You could just about see both within a (long-ish) day trip from London.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 03:06 PM

I think York would be a great place for you to visit. You can do it in a day, but I would opt to overnight.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 03:46 PM

Take the sunset access tour of Stonehenge. You'll be part of a small group of people who walk amongst the stones after the park closes. We had been to Stonehenge twice before but it was a thrilling, even mystical experience to actually touch the stones. I think we stayed for an hour. The pictures were of course wonderful. Our tour was in September and they had only two trips scheduleld for that month, so investigate early. www.astraltravels.co.uk
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 03:54 PM

Back again. Go to Warwick Castle where you can trod the steps on which the villanous &quot;My kingdom for a horse&quot; Richard III schemed the murders of relatives, friends and enemies. I think this can be combined with a bus tour to Bath.The British museum is,of course, a must. You'll find the graves of famous and infamous long-dead poets, Queens and Kings and politicians in Westminster Abby. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 05:46 AM

And I believe Warwick Castle is where Edward II met his particularly gruesome end.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 06:06 AM

I think Edward II was murdered in Berkeley Castle.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 07:06 AM
ira

Hi,<BR> You could go to Cirencester, in the Cotswolds for the Roman ampitheater as well as the Cathedral.<BR><BR> You could visit Cardiff and Caerphilly for the castles.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Wonderful suggestions so far! I've done Bath, York, Avebury, White Horse, Kennet Longbarrow, and Stonehenge, although I was planning on the afterhours tour... didn't know it was only twice in Sept, so I'll book early, thanks.<BR><BR>Warwick sounds great, as does the Cotswolds, never went there and have been interested. Any particular part of the Cotswolds I should see?<BR><BR>British Museum is a given... been there, must go again!<BR><BR>Sutton Hoo, positively. I didn't realize there was a particular site available, I thought it was all in scattered museums. Weald sounds excellent as well <BR><BR>Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions! More, more!
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 05:25 PM

I was in Winchester in June '01 and had a great time. A lot to do just in the town itself. It's about an hour by train from London so it's an easy day trip. <BR><BR>I liked the ruin of Wolvesey castle, walking along the river's edge, the Great Hall and Arthur's round table, the little Westgate museum and, of course, the Cathedral.<BR><BR>There are 5 smallish military museums that are interesting, but they aren't really ancient.<BR><BR>You might look around this site. It lists points of interest.<BR><BR>www.winchester.gov.uk/tourism/index.shtml
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 06:22 PM

indytravel --<BR>Do you recall if the Westgate museum has brass rubbing? My kids want to do that when we go to England/Scotland next month, and we've already done it at St. Martin in the Field. I was hoping to find somewhere else to do it.<BR>Thanks! Annette
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 08:11 PM

A short trip north (about an hour from Central London) is St. Alban's with a great cathedral, but even more importantly the wonderful site of the largest Roman city in the UK (if my limited history knowledge is correct). There are some interesting ruins of the site and a very effective museum. In addition the town of St. Alban's is a pleasant place with a wonderful old pub (sometimes called the oldest one in England) and a beautiful park.