Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

An American alternative to Clotted Cream?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there one? I've developed a taste for Clotted (Devonshire) cream, is there an American counterpart? Can one make their own? Is it available in specialty shops (I haven't found any yet...) Any information is appreciated.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 12:56 PM
jlb

Hi DiAblo.
I know what you mean. It is delicious!
I live in Canada and we can get it at our regular grocery supermarket like Loblaws or Zehrs. Have you looked in your grocery store near the specialty cheeses or in the dairy case?
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 01:05 PM

Same thing happened to me--I did find it in a few speciality shops here. Although I've not used it in some time--sooooo rich!!
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 01:08 PM

What part of the coutry do you live in, DiAblo? In my area (L.A.) there are several British import stores with clotted cream and other British foodstuffs like Irn Bru and authentic scones. Or try Trader Joes - they have a lot of specialty items.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 01:09 PM

There was an old thread about Scones and clotted cream and someone gave the recipe for making your own.
Try a search on scones or clotted cream, maybe you can find it.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 01:13 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Try creme fraiche (most supermarkets) and I'll bet you can't tell the difference. Add a little sugar if you don't like the slightly acid finish to the creme fraiche.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 01:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Diablo, you CAN buy the real thing at the Whole Food markets. As I recall it will be in the Cheese department.
It is also on sale on line.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 01:35 PM

Sorry?! no difference between creme fraiche and clotted cream???

That's like saying there's really no difference between The Mona Lisa and The Last Supper!

DiAblo - good luck with your search for the real thing... just console with yourself that all the while you can't lay your hands on some you can't be clogging up your arteries with it either. I reckon we only have it max twice a year because it's soooo good it's also diabolically bad.

Dr D.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 01:39 PM

Oh boy, can I tell the different between crème fraîche and clotted cream! Clotted cream is nearly solid; crème fraîche is softer. As for buying clotted cream, you can get it from the King Arthur baking catalogue (and on line), among other sources. Our local market carries it, but I haven't yet seen it at Trader Joe's, alas (or perhaps a good thing!). You can make your own if you have a very strong arm and the ability not to sleep for 24 hours, as it's made by ladling warm milk over and over for that length of time. Devonshire cream isn't necesarily clotted cream, BTW--it can be just a very heavy cream of the sort you would put on berries. My personal favorite is Cornish clotted cream whenever I can find it.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 01:42 PM

Trader Joes Does Not carry it, But Whole Foods does.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 02:13 PM

This recipe comes from my Brit friends. I have no idea if it's authentic but here goes:

2 pints high quality full fat milk [ English pint is 20 ozs.]
1. Put the milk in a pan and let it stand somewhere cold for 24 hours
2. Sit the pan with the milk in a larger pan containing water to around the same level as the milk.
3.On a very very low heat bring the water to simmer-it's essential that the water takes at least an hour to come to a simmer and it's equally important that it never boils.
4.Take the pan off the heat and let the cream cool until it is absolutely cold.
5.Using a wide flat slotted spoon skim the cream off the top making sure you allow time for it to drain thoroughly.
That is all [all?] there is to it. The amount is supposed to be enough for strawberries and cream for 4 people

This is a recipe that came from somebody's ancestor and allegedly was made all the time by "grandma". Have I tried it? No way.I am able to get it at a local high class store at a pretty steep price.But then it does go a long way and my arteries will thank me for making this part of my daily diet

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 02:27 PM

The above should read for NOT making this part of my daily diet
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 02:33 PM

Mmmmmmm clotted cream is wonderful. We can not get it here in the states as it uses unpastuerized milk. Query the web for a recipe for Devonshire Cream. I have it somewhere. It tastes almost as good as clotted cream. Now I have a taste....
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 02:36 PM

I have bought jars in the refrigerated department at our local supermarket (but it is an upscale market). They are imported from the UK, and say "Devonshire Cream -- Clotted Cream". I expected the worst when I first bought it, but I thought the stuff was as good as what I've put on my scones in Devon!!
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 02:40 PM

http://www.joyofbaking.com/DevonshireCream.html
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 03:35 PM

I buy it frequently in the States - Whole Foods, a local British shop and a couple of tea shops all carry it.

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 04:02 PM

I find Clotted Cream regularly in Whole Foods and Fresh Market....but I can't find Creme Fraiche and have resorted to making that myself! It;s not that hard...but somehow it just doesn't taste like France.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 04:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I made clotted cream once when I lived near a dairy that sold unpasturized milk. It was very similar to the recipe pipsil posted. However, I must confess that watching stovetop water take at least an hour to come to a simmer but not boil is the operational definition of death by tedium. Never again. Not even for heavenly clotted cream.

What are the brand names of the product sold at Whole Foods? Our Fresh Market carries a brand made by the Devon Creme Co. (Double Devon Cream and Clotted Cream) They're good, but not the real thing IMHO.

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 04:31 PM

Thread about scones (including recipe for clotted cream):

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34441185
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 04:32 PM

I'm going to Whole Foods tomorrow ..I'll look for the brand, and hopefully be able to resist! I am supposed to be dieting for my college reunion!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too bad our regular grocer had buy 1, get 1 free on HD creme brulee ice cream

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -