Reload this Page >

Amsterdam - what a dump.

Search

Amsterdam - what a dump.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 12:08 PM
timo

Amsterdam - what a dump.

Just back from spending three days in Amsterdam. Wish I hadn't bothered. What a cheap,tacky place that was. I have visited many cities in Europe but this was really a big disappointment. If you were not into dope or prostitutes there was very little else to see after visiting a couple of good museums and Anne Frank's House (excellent). I had been looking forward to this visit but was hugely disappointed. Am I alone in thinking this ?

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Surlok

Yes, Timo, you're, as far as I'm concerned, but surely many other posters would agree with you. <BR> <BR>Amsterdam is one of my favorite cities in Europe. I love the Spui, Leidsestraat, Leidseplein, the City Hall and Opera, and the Joordan area. Just strolling, sitting at a cafe, and enjoying the city atmosphere makes me happy, but we are surely different types of people and travelers.Luckily, not everybody has the same taste and preferences. Otherwise, no city in the world would be able to accommodate all of us. <BR> <BR>S

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 12:59 PM
Patrick

Judging from the masses of tourists that invade Amsterdam, yes, I suppose you might be in the minority here. If you saw nothing to excite you then perhaps you either didn't do enough research or else you simply aren't a traveler. What were you looking for? What have you found in other cities that made you like them and not Amsterdam? Did you go out of the city at all? Much of the charm of Holland is gained by its easy and short side trips out of the city. I have been to Amsterdam twice, most recently for a full week, and will return next summer. I find it a wonderful city filled with great things to do. Dope and prostitution are not among them.

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 01:13 PM
E;ozabeth

Parts of Amsterdam are definitely crummy I think, like the Damrak and around there, but much of it is beautiful and fascinating. I like to walk along the major canals (Singel, Kaisergracht, Prinsengracht, Herengracht) and side streets, or see the city by canal boat. <BR> <BR> It's not a city of major monuments, it's a city of houses, shops, cafes, and wonderful intimate canalside views. <BR>To me it's a texture-of-life kind of experience rather than a place with a lot of siginificant major sights or activities.