Amsterdam Tour

Sep 27th, 1997, 11:13 AM
Paul Mitrick

Amsterdam Tour

My wife and I are going to Amsterdam Over the Thanksgiving Day Holiday for four days. We are staying at the Hotel Mercure and we would like an opinion of this hotel, the best 4 to 5 star restaurants, things to see and do,and recommendations of any kind for two adults in early 50's that want to see the gold of Amsterdam.

Sep 27th, 1997, 02:51 PM
Tricia

You know I've seen that hotel mentioned in this site but I forget what they said about it. I have Frommers guide here and he lists a couple : one is & Bridges 020-623-13-29 -one of Amsterdams true gems-only 11 rooms, each individually decorated with antique furnishings and art. One rooms sleeps 4 and has wood paneling, a huge bathroom, double sinks, attic rooms have wood beams, and darling basement rooms done all in white. Just redone with Italian drapes tiles and wood floor. $78-126--The other is a 5 star The Amstel A(grande dame of dutch hotels since l867 where superstrs and royalty have stayed and one more is Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky. He stays the two hest places to dine are both in Hotels, Garden Hotel (De Kersentuin) and the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza, City Center, Dorrius. We stayed at the Holiday Inn through an internet special and loved it. Nice swimming pool, jacuzzi, staff is great, a nice gift shop with real delft ware and right across from train station and all shops and eateris within walking distance. E-Mail me if you want any phone numbers etc or pick up a copy of Frommers.

Sep 27th, 1997, 02:53 PM
Tricia

That hotel is Seven Bridges and the two restaurants in the hotels are the last word after the name of the hotel.

Sep 28th, 1997, 10:39 AM
Amy

We stayed at the Pulitzer on Prinsengracht - expensive but very nice, very Dutch. Can't miss sights include the Riijksmuseum and the VanGogh Museum. If the weather is nice, a canal ride is a nice way to see the city. In terms of restaurants, our Dutch friend has taken us to two very good places: La Bottega Siciliana and Pasta E Basta. When we insisted on Dutch food, he took us to De Fles on Prinsengracht. We walked almost everywhere. Very easy to get around - and the Dutch all seem to speak perfect English!

Sep 28th, 1997, 11:53 AM
sfink

We were in Amsterdam last Oct and coincidentally are in the late 40's age group!! We stayed at a wonderful place-The Tulip Inn-a fairly new hotel, not be be confused with the other Tulip Hotels there-they are part of the same company. THe hotel was in the area around the Univ of Amsterdam-the KLM bus from the airport drops you off directly infront of the hotel and there are places to eat etc within a 60 sec walk. THe trolley is about a bloc away, as the crow flys and everything is very convenient to this hotel. We stayed in a king size, corner room-very large, nicely furnished, bathroom with hairdryer etc and immaculately clean. We were there 5 days and the cost was about $115 a nite inclusing breakfast buffet. Everyone in the was extremely nice and yes, most everyone there speaks very good english. There is a great restaurant across the street from the hotel if you want authentic dutch food-not a tourist trap-Haase Klaase-I am not so sure of the spelling. It is on the same blecok as the hotel on Spuuistraat (spelling). We did the boat tourand it was most helpful in orienting ourselves to the area. We visited Rijks and Van GOgh mus and the Rembrandt house as well-his sketches are there and the house was interesting. Weof course went to the Anne Frank house and that entire area is interesting_ I can't recall know which famouse musician was buried inthe church near there. A great area! Just a few blocks away from the A. Frank house is the Pancake Bakery-great place for dutch food and inexpensive-but go hungry. When facing the A> Frank House it is to the right a few blecoks down on the same side. Also, in some areas watch out boe bike riders-they have the right of way and go fast! The Heineken tour was interesting and there is all the beer you can drink at the end! It was very easy to get around wither on foost or by trolley and to muc to do! Email me if you have other questions-wish I could go back with you!!!SF

Sep 28th, 1997, 01:21 PM
Lynn

If you have some extra time to see something that is off the beaten path and outside the crowded city, we thoroughly enjoyed a tour to the villages of Zaanse Schans and Edam when we stopped in Amsterdam in late August on our Europe cruise. Zaaanse Schans is a tiny park/village that has a collection of windmills (great photo opportunities) and some that you can go up inside, a cheese farm where you can watch the dutch girls process gouda cheese, a beautiful dutch porcelain gift shop, and a local clogmaker who crafts those wooden dutch shoes while you watch. Edam is just a beautiful picturesque village that is interesting to walk through. Have fun.