Amsterdam to Munich – Train Options?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all – I’ll be traveling throughout Europe with a group of four in October... for our last leg of the trip we will be traveling from Amsterdam to Munich. We have looked into traveling by train but can’t seem to determine the best option… any suggestions on where to book for traveling by train? I’m a bit overwhelmed by how many services there are so hoping someone could shed some light. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 08:45 AM

go to www.bahn.com - the German Rail web site for schedules and fares - and there are some delcious online advance discounts - I think you can get even though the train originates in Holland - regular fare will be very steep and perhaps flying would be even cheaper. there is also an overnight CNL train with private compartments if wish. Check out these web sites for lots of good IMO info on European trains - www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com - check the latter for tips on booking on www.bahn.de and if you want to check American agents I highly recommend contacting Budget Europe - the first site I gave. But generally IME unless you can get a discounted online fare full price tickets can always be bought once in Amsterdam - no worry about not getting on trains - rarely if ever a problem.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 12:19 PM

Group of four could book a four-person private compartment or two adjoining (perhaps) private doubles on the overnight train.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 01:59 PM

Another link to give you an illustrated introduction to trains in Europe is http://tinyurl.com/eym5b. A second class T-4 cabin would be your cheapest option, unless you want the discomfort of a seat. The German Rail site linked by PalenQ has the options and prices for all trains from Amsterdam to Munich.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 07:49 PM

The drect and excellent City Night Line sleeper train departs Amsterdam Centraal every day at 20:31 and arrives Munich Hauptbahnhof at 07:16.

Centre to centre, and saves a hotel bill. Far less hassle than flying.

Fares from 49 euros with couchette (basic flat bed) in 6-berth compartment, from 59 euros with couchette in 4-berth compartment, or from 79 euros in a 2-bed sleeper with washbasin (breakfast included, shower at end of the corridor), some deluxe sleepers are also available with en suite toilet and shower.

Book at www.bahn.de, english button top right, look for the direct CNL train with 0 changes.

Or travel by daytime trains from 39 euros with one change in Cologne, also booked at www.bahn.de.
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions! This was a great help!