Amsterdam to Brugge

Search

Amsterdam to Brugge

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam to Brugge

Going from Amsterdam to Brugge for the day in early Nov. by train. Is Mon or Tues a better day to go to avoid the crowds? If I buy a Super Day Return, can I stop over in Brussels on the way back without an additional charge? Can I buy the ticket from the Amsterdam Central Station kiosk? Is the screen information in English? Does it accept credit cards? thanks
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 05:55 AM

The quickest route to Brugge takes you through Antwerpen not Brussel, and takes 3and a half hours. Via Brussel you will travel on the Thalys which means you have to book in advance, and it will cost you more.
You can do that anyway online with your credit card, if you can negotiate the Dutch on the NS international travel site-it is fairly straightforward.
Neither the NS ticket machines Nor th he kiosk takes credit cards. You can pay with a debit card with a Maestro logo and a PIN at the ticket office in Amsterdam. The screen information is in Dutch, but it just tells you where the train is going to , when it leaves and which pplatform. You can always ask for help. Announcements are in a variety of languages.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 06:06 AM

I can't answer your first questions, but I purchased my ticket to Brugge in Amsterdam Central Station.

Since my credit card never worked in any of the train stations, I had to go to the ATM and withdraw cash. I was instructed to go to the international ticket line in order to purchase my tickets.

Using NS, you will change at Antwerpen.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 06:13 AM

As far as i know you do not have to and should not take the Thalys train Amsterdam to Brussels as regular IC trains are just about as quick and a whole lot cheaper - can buy your tickets in Amsterdam

Thalys can be more expensive unless you get the elusive SMILYS fare

www.ns.nl for schedules

For me i'd stop off in Antwerp, on the direct route if i had time and i'd spend the whole time in Bruges rather than trying to see something else and cut this wondrous city short.

IC train to Antwerp, change to IC train to Bruges
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 07:53 AM

Aren't a lot of museums closed in Brugge on Monday??

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Tuesday is probably a quieter train day anyway, less students travelling back to Uni after the weekend at home having their washing done by their Mums.
PalQ - I looked at the NS site and the only train in came up with for Brugge via Brussels was the Thalys.
It adds a good 50 minute to an hour on to the trip anyway to via Brussels. Antwerp is a great city. More interesting than Brussels in my opinion, so I would say go via Antwerp.
And I re-iterate NS ticket machines DO NOT and never have accepted credit cards. Nor do they accept foreign debit cards. Yo must buy your ticket fron the ticket office or have the cash for the machine.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 12:11 PM

there is just one or two Bruges-Brussels Thalys trains - the Bruges-Bru-Paris Thalys service

but there are at least hourly IC or normal and cheaper trains Bruges-Brussels that take just a bit longer than Thalys to Brussels since these are not high speed tracks

and ditto hourly Brussels-amsterdam IC trains so no reason to take reservations obligatory and potentially much much more expensive Thalys trains anywhere on this route it seems to me.

www.b-rail.be should confirm this if ns.nl does not

Thalys are such a hassle and waste of money for Bru-amsterdam currently - when the high-speed portion of the Dutch high-speed line is fully operational then Thalys may be quicker but currently is only marginally so
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 12:28 PM

hetismij - "And I re-iterate NS ticket machines DO NOT and never have accepted credit cards. Nor do they accept foreign debit cards. Yo must buy your ticket fron the ticket office or have the cash for the machine."

This is something I sorely regretted not researching prior to my trip. You know what they say about assuming things!!

Old Oct 26th, 2007, 12:49 PM

you do save one euro by using the machines i believe

and i noted long long lines at ticket windows last winter on my trip and they have closed most international ticket windows in stations besides Amsterdam C.S. and Schiphol it seems - trying to funnel folks online which makes sense i guess

one more reason if traveling enough either a Holland railpass or Benelux pass good in Belgium, Luxembourg and netherlands may be useful even if you pay a bit more than you would with individual tickets
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 03:54 PM

You'll hardly have time to see Brugge much less Brussels.

It will be 2 PM by the time you reach Antwerp. See http://tinyurl.com/3cdwjq. The Super Dag Retour can only be used after 9 AM. Then catch another train to Brugge, with a tight connection and another hour and 30 down the line.

No need to waste money on Thalys. Take the IC as PalenQ writes.

If you decide to do this buy your ticket the day before so you don't spend anxious minutes in line. Bring cash. They never turn that down.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 04:42 PM

We will have an eight day Netherlands rail pass as part our two week Untours stay in a Leiden apartment. We will also be going to Brugge for three days, two nights.

Do we buy the Belgium part of the train trip at the Leiden ststion, or on the train when we cross the border?
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 06:27 AM

Buy it at Leiden staion before getting on the train

if the conductor has to sell you one on the train it may come with a hefty surcharge for doing so on the train - not sure but typically may so no reason not to buy in Leiden before boarding - if they can't sell it for some reason then just tell the conductor on the train

(International ticket windows in many Dutch stations have closed - i don't think this is considered to be a true 'international' ticket but if it is better buy it at International Ticket Windows in Amsterdam CS or Schiphol Airport train station - at least ask them about it
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 08:31 AM

You can no longer buy tickets on the train. You will need to buy the ticket at Leiden before you leave. There will be a ticket office/wizzl shop there that can help you. You can also do it from the machine, but that is a but comlicated for you maybe - if you decide to do that then you change the starting station to Roosendaal.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 10:47 AM

thankyou for the info

ronk
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 03:53 PM

Besides not being able to buy a ticket on the train in NL you will be slapped with a €35 fine for attempting to ride without a ticket. There goes $50 up in smoke. And don't believe Rick Steves. Two of his books say you can ride the trains anywhere in NL with a Strippenkaart! Bye bye $50 if you try that.
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 06:52 AM

vvv