Amsterdam to Brighton

Search

Amsterdam to Brighton

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam to Brighton

In the early stage of planning a trip for 4 of us in our early 60's, fit and reasonably well travelled. Looking for alternative ways (as simple as possible) to get from Amsterdam to the South Coast of England. I have flown and also crossed over on ferry from Dover, also used Euro from London to Paris a few times. The others have only been on the Euro.
Flying is easy and quick from hotel in Amsterdam, then pick up rental cars for travel to south coast for 5 days.
Thought about rental car from Amsterdam to Calais, then Ferry, then another car but that appears hard to get good rental car prices.
Looked at train to Calais then as above (sites I looked at were not that easy for train trip)
Looked at train ferry train Amersterdam to London.
Would prefer to do it in one day but would consider 2 if it looks good
Would appreciate any comments on all of thesse plus any others
KiwiPete
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 01:15 AM

One way drop off fees make driving to Calais and dropping the car off impractical. I would look into flying from Amsterdam (or maybe Rotterdam) to Gatwick or Southampton and renting a car there.

Alternatively you would need to take the Thalys to Brussels and then the Eurostar to either London or if the timing is right to Ashford International. Again hire a car there.

You could get the train and overnight ferry to Harwich and either hire a car there or get the train into London and get a train down to Brighton from there. Hire the car in Brighton.

No doubt others will have other (and probably better) ideas .
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 01:31 AM

Or fly to Gatwick, direct train from there to Brighton, rent car there.

I think options via Gatwick or Ashford International are the only ones that would make much sense. I can't see the point of going into and out of London, especially since it would add up to a lot of time and changing.
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 01:44 AM

To get to Brighton, the simplest way is to get a train to Schiphol, fly to Gatwick (about ten flights a day) and get a train (every 10 mins, takes half an hour). About three hours hotel to hotel or to chum's house.

ANY other method will cost more and take longer. If you want to explore the South Coast, it might be easier to hire your car at Gatwick, but parking's an expensive pain in central Brighton, where lots of people live - and most hotels are located - in streets as tricky for visitor parking as London or Paris.

Not an issue in the great suburban maw that surrounds Brighton and goes on till way past Southampton. But cars and Brighton itself really don't mix unless they're an absolute necessity - and it's a bloody long and change-intensive railway journey.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback, we will work on flying to Gatwick and picking up rental car.Will look at alternative places to stay on South Coast once we have confirmed timing and flights from NZ
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 01:26 PM

After flying to Gatwick the simplest way is -

Thalys to Brussels, Eurostar to St Pancras, train to Brighton (weekdays only currently)