Amsterdam to Antwerp to Brussels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to take the train from Schiphol airport to Antwerp (spend a few days in Antwerp) and then head to Brussels. On the way back, I would like to take the train back to Schiphol. Does anyone know if you are allowed to break the journey if I buy a rondtrip Smily's bewteen AMS and Brussels.

Thanks
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 09:29 AM

I believe the answer is no, but I'm not 100% positive. If the train is Thalys, then your ticket is good for a specific seat on a specific train -- see

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34489199

What I'd do is to buy the round-trip from Amsterdam to Antwerp. This you can do.

Then get a point-to-point between Antwerp and Brussels. This bit should be very cheap anyway, and there should be many more trains on this route than the Thalys train.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 09:33 AM

You should ask for a rail europe pass - its sold outside europe and gives you an amount of days to travel whenever you wnat but you have to pay only for the seat reservation when you are on the spot.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 09:35 AM

If that's all the train travel you're doing, I don't think that a pass is worth it.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 09:50 AM

In Belgium you can never break your journey, even with a regular ticket. To give you an example, when you buy a ticket Brugge - Antwerp you will (sometimes) have to change trains in Gent. Instead of doing some sightseeing in Gent, you are obliged to take the first possible connection to your final destination. You can't cheat if your ticket has been stamped during the first leg of your journey!
As for Thalys, as 111op says, your ticket is only good for a specific seat on a specific train.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 09:53 AM

Great -- I'm just repeating advice you gave in the cited thread, by the way, Myriam. But I didn't know about the rule in Belgium either.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. I like the AMS-Antwerp roundtrip idea
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 10:55 PM

Myriam, I was told by ticket agents at the Gare du Midi in September that you CAN make stops if you buy a special type of ticket...you have to tell the ticket agent you're planning to get off and look around somewhere when you buy your ticket.
FYI, if you get down to Brussels, did you know that Flamant, the Belgian interior design store on the Sablon has practically tripled in size and just opened a GREAT new cafe? It will definitely become one of the hot spots in Brussels. Good wines by the glass, Mariage Freres teas, excellent coffee, light meals, etc., They plan to start offering "high" tea (I think they mean afternoon tea, but some British customer will point out the difference and they'll probably change it).
Also, did you know that in 2005, a showcase store of the best of Belgium fashion and home design will open on the Grand'Place? (Assuming things go on schedule...)
Finally, I've put in my Christmas wish for the new "Georges" bag at Delvaux. Only a couple are available now, they're going to call me when it arrives in my color (cafe). Not only is the bag very stylish, the design incorporates several anti-pickpocket features.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 01:15 PM

Thanks for the info, BTilke. I didn't know it was allowed to break a journey.
Apparently the ticket is called "via-ticket" on which your station of departure and arrival + the station where you want to break the journey.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 03:24 AM

For future reference -- can you make multiple stops with the "via" ticket. Is this more expensive than the usual ticket?

What are the advantages to this, if tickets are priced by distance anyway?
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 03:39 AM

BTilke; thanks for that info; I'll have a look at that bag. I'm a big fan of Delvaux bags. Of Flamant too.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 10:34 AM

111op, this is from the Belgian Railways' website:
<i>If you wish to interrupt your journey at one of the stations along your itinerary or if you want to follow a specific route with the intention of stopping over, you should tell our sales staff when buying your ticket. It is as yet not possible to buy such a ticket aboard the train.

In that case you will receive a &quot;via ticket&quot; which states the departure and arrival stations, as well as the station where you wish to interrupt your journey. You may then break your journey at the requested via station and leave the station to continue your journey the same day, but a few trains later. You will also receive a &quot;via ticket&quot; if you wish to follow an intinerary other than the shortest travel route.

A via ticket is always issued as a single ticket. A via ticket is slightly cheaper than two single tickets given that the fixed fee of EUR 0.6711 in 2nd class or EUR (0.6711 x 1.54) in 1st class is only charged once.

The maximum travel distance charged for via tickets is set at 300 km.

If you do not have a via ticket and you would still like to break your journey, please notify the train crew. The train steward will explain how your situation can be adjusted. Should you break your journey without holding a valid via ticket, you will be considered as an irregular passenger. For further details, please consult &quot;Checks&quot;.

For example: you wish to travel from Brussels to Ostend via Courtrai, where you want to do some shopping. This is possible. Just mention it when you buy your ticket.</i>
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 10:35 AM

Great, thanks!