Amsterdam Snooze: Anne Frank's Favorite Tree Faces Chopping Block

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Nearly every morning I go to the attic to blow the stuffy air out of my lungs; from my favorite spot on the floor I look up at the blue sky and the bare chestnut tree, on whose branches little raindrops shine, appearing like silver, and at the seagulls and other birds as they glide on the wind. As long as this exists, I thought, and i may live to see it, this sunshine, the cloudless skies, while this lasts i cannot be unhappy."

So wrote Anne Frank in her diary about the chestnut tree she often pondered at and so comforted her in her tremendous angst. But the tree that is still visible from her attic in the Anne Frank House Museum must be chopped down, according to an edict of the Amsterdam Town Council.

The tree, estimated to be between 150 and 170 years old is to diseased and rotten in the opinion of experts to be saved. But, grafts have been taken and these, it's hoped, will sprout a new chestnut good for another century or two.

But for some years another poignant aspect of the pensive Anne Frank House Museum experience will be gone. Like concentration camps like Dachau, Auswitsch, etc., the Anne Frank House Museum is a sobering sight - not a happy sight but one very well worth experiencing to realize the horrors that Amsterdam and Europe went thru not all that long ago. today Amsterdam is Europe's party town and that's all well...but just over 60 years ago folks like Anne were hiding in fear of their lives and the Dutch were literally starving in the streets.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 07:23 AM

That makes me sad that they have to cut down a piece of history. We went to the Anne Frank House when we visited Amsterdam and I found it to be so interesting.Her letters indicated so much hope despite the grave situation her family was in. I hope that they can plant another tree in its place.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 07:44 AM

We will be there in a week from today. Do you know when the tree is scheduled for removal?
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

No - the article in the NYTimes says nothing about when, just that a decision has been made to axe it. But i'll go out on a limb and bet it will still be there next week!
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 08:33 AM

Thanks, Bob. The wheels of municipal government do indeed turn slowly the whole world round, 'tis true.

Trip report to follow, of course.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 06:56 PM

UPDATE -

<i>On Tuesday, 6 March 2007, the owner of the Anne Frank tree received a felling permit. The tree's owner applied for the permit at the end of 2006. Various examinations have indicated that the tree is so diseased that recovery is not possible.

A six-week time limit for filing objections applies, with regard to the issue of felling permits (based on the General Administrative Law Act). Parties with direct interests may submit objections within this time frame. The felling of the tree may not take place within the six week period of the issueing date of the felling permit.</i>

That means the tree could be cut down as early as April 17th. For everyone travelling to Amsterdam, maybe you want to stop by and have a final look, for Anne, before it's gone. How sad.

Peace, Robyn &gt;-

Old Oct 14th, 2008, 12:12 PM

Robyn or anyone - has this tree been felled as i suspect?

I may have heard but with Old timers' disease onset i probably forgot?

Perhaps i heard they are cloning the tree for a new one?

thanks
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 12:52 PM

The tree is still there, propped up by a steel cage, but it's days are numbered as it, along with a great many horse chestnuts, has a fungal disease which will kill it within a couple of years.
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 08:17 PM

Sort of interesting update about the tree.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/16/ny...6anne.html?hpw