Amsterdam - Schiphol Airport Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will have an overnight layover in Amsterdam and want to stay in an airport hotel, for convenience. I'm leaning toward the Sheraton Amsterdam, but am concerned because it doesn't appear to have a shuttle. I've read that it is an easy walk from the airport, but I've recently had knee surgery and anticipate that the walk may be a bit difficult for me.

The Crowne Plaza has a shuttle, but I've read mixed reviews on Trip Advisor. I would appreciate input from anyone who has had experience with any of the airport hotels. Thanks!
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 10:16 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Weve stayed at the Schiphol Ibis several times and thought it (and its shuttle) were completely adequate.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 10:18 AM

Accor's Dorint hotel on the airport's periphery is probably on a par with the Sheraton or Crowne Plaza and there is a shuttle bus to it every 30 mins from just outside the arrival hall. www.accorhotels.com - they also have the IBIS, a tad down from Dorint but on a par with Holiday Inn i think and cheaper even ETAP also on the airport periphery and on the shuttle bus.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the prompt responses. I'll look into the Ibis and Accor's Dorint hotels.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 12:28 PM

There is one hotel that is connected right to the airport...I think it is the Sheraton. We had a cancelled flight through United and they put us there. No need for a shuttle. Hotel was nice but didn't really enjoy it because we had to spend the time trying to rebook the flight...United wasn't much help there.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 12:42 PM

The Sheraton is connected to the "Schiphol Plaza" section of the airport by a short walk and also an "escalator" (actually a flat belt people mover) that gets you up and down a very short incline which will accept luggage trolleys.

The Sheraton is the closest hotel other than the Mercure. The Mercure hotel is part OF the terminal itself.

You would not need a shuttle for either of these.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

I just booked the Sheraton. If my pathetic knee can't make the small walk or manage the people mover, we'll get a taxi. (Someone will probably post here, complaining about lazy Americans who can't even walk the brief way to the airport hotel. Makes me realize we should understand the entire story before being too quick to judge!)
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 04:11 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Hilton Schipohl is adjacent to Schipohl Plaza . Take the elevator down and cross the hotel driveway to get there. Nice, inexpensive, helpful staff, good enough restaurant.Stayed thre in 4/06
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 05:17 PM

I'm afraid you'll have to get there without the taxi (the Hilton mentioned above is further on through the parking structure)...here's why:

when you make your way out of the arrivals area after picking up the luggage, etc., you come to an enlarged area of the terminal called Schiphol Plaza. This is where the ticket windows for the railroad (platforms one level down) are located, various vendors, and the Burger King (do NOT eat there..the Mickey D's up one flight is much better..trust me on that one)..and directly inf ront of you there is the escalator/people mover (next to the exit doors) which takes you up one level into another walkway with stores, etc.

The Sheraton is JUST BEYOND the people mover; the Hilton is about a 3-5 minute walk beyond the Sheraton.

If you went outside the terminal to where the taxis are and asked to be taken to the Sheraton they would probably laugh at you.

Believe me, you can make this walk. If all else fails could you ask the airline if any movement assistance might be available?
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 05:20 PM

www.schiphol.nl for the airport site (English version available) and consider taking care of that healing knee in the Sheraton's health club.

BTW I though the breakfast buffet at the Hilton was a rip-off for what you didn't get but just one person's opinion, of course..no offense meant for others who may have liked it.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Original Poster

Ahh, Dukey -- you touched on my real fear. Truly. When my husband suggested "We'll just get a taxi." I feared that the Sheraton would be so close that we'd be laughed at.

We have lots of time between the arrival of our flight and the official check-in time at the hotel, so I imagine I'll find a way to drag my sorry knee the .2 km to the hotel. :-<
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 10:26 PM

nevermind; if you cannot walk from the Sheraton to the terminal, you will not be able to walk to the gate either. From check-in to the gate will probably be just as far as from the hotel to check-in. If you cannot walk, ask for assistance; either a wheelchair or one of these electrical cars they use at the airport. Check with your airline.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 02:27 AM

Another vote for the Ibis, perfectly adequate & comfortable.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 02:46 AM

I'm sorry but this is one time when ALL the posts in the string need to be read before replying.

For someone who is trying to get to the closest hotel the Ibis is not as "perfectly adequate" as either the Hilton or the Sheraton
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 03:14 AM

And the Hilton and the Sheraton are not only ON the airport, but much better than Ibis.....
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 03:43 AM

The OP has already booked the Sharaton, my comment on the Ibis was for any other interested party reading the thread for information. So sorry to have upset you.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 06:39 AM

And for others don't forget the ETAP hotel right behind the IBIS - this is the cheapest airport hotel, at about 57 euros a room - i've stayed there often and very modern, clean, good shower in room, cable TV and frequent bus service along with IBIS to terminals. www.accorhotels.com
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:36 AM

A big vote for the Mercure INSIDE the terminal building (you actually have a view on the check in counters!) we have used this sevral times and it' just so easy - also for the morning flights you do not have to get up that easy etc.
I don't know if you have the entire evening in Amsterdam; if so you can easily have dinner in the center and after that take the shuttle-train to the airport and go straight to your hotel (it is inside the customs area). Also much cheaper than Hilton or Sheraton!
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:51 AM

Glad you've got something lined up with the Sheraton, but I would have sided with PalQ on the Dorint/Sofitel. For one thing, it's in full compliance with the Americans w/Disability Act, so its facilities are easily negotiated by someone with a bad knee. Also, it's a striking, self-contained hotel, very comfortable rooms, good restaurant, and an onsite spa, including indoor heated pool (helpful for someone who'd like to take the weight off their knee for a while).
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:52 AM

Oops, posted too quickly. It also has a shuttle to the airport, which takes about 10 minutes.
http://www.sofitel.com/sofitel/fiche...he_hotel.shtml

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -