Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam Restaurants: Balthazar's Keuken (kitchen), Toscanini, Cafe Bern, Stout!

Search

Amsterdam Restaurants: Balthazar's Keuken (kitchen), Toscanini, Cafe Bern, Stout!

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just back from a week in Europe and thought I'd share my restaurant finds from Amsterdam. I'd highly recommend these four restaurants in the order below.

Balthazar's Keuken
http://www.balthazarskeuken.nl/

This tiny restaurant in the Jordaan area was definitely the highlight of my Amsterdam dining experience! It housed a about only about room for 30 people and was packed. It seemed to be mostly locals with a few tourists mixed in. The kitchen is right out in the open. They have a set three course menu; the night I attended there was a choice between fish or duck for the main course. At 24 Euros, it's a great bargain, but the food was heavenly. It's fairly casual; almost like you're eating in a friends kitchen. The three people running the restaurant are cooking and serving! Sit near the back and you can watch them cook! I read about this in a New York Times article on budget travel--it's worth it to visit.

Toscanini
http://www.diningcity.com/amsterdam/...ini/start.html
This was also in the Jordaan area--pricier than Balthazar's but good food as well. I felt a little ignored by the waitstaff at times, it seemed like the could have used additional waitstaff. Excellent food though.

Cafe Bern
http://www.iens.nl/restaurantsVan/Am...ant.htms?r=906
Dark paneled wooden bar not far from the red light district, metro stop right near by. Great cheese fondue! The bartender and waitstaff were very helpful and there was great service.

Restaurant Stout!
http://www.dinnersite.nl/restaurant/index.php?RN=434402

I'd read great things on the forum about their Asparagus soup, but their menu changes seasonally and it was no longer on the menu. My friend and I shared a beef tenderloin for two (served with or without chicken livers!). The restaurant and crowd are trendy. Central location not far from the central station.

Anyone else want to comment on these restaurants?
Old May 30th, 2006, 06:22 PM
yk

I ate at Balthazar's last year. I very much enjoyed my time there. I went there after reading the review on NYT.

I went alone, but before long, I was chatting with diners on both sides. One was a group of Italians from Rome. They were in town filming a reality show. The other side was 2 Dutch brothers who live in Amsterdam. Felt like I made a number of friends that night.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 09:48 PM

Balthazars Keuken was fantastic. Thanks universitylad!!!!!
Arrived Amsterdam Friday, hotel call Balthazar for me. Found out only open Wed, Thur, Friday. She does catering on other days.
Got a reservation for 9:15 (first available) and had a most wonderful meal. Prix fix, 3 course. The appetizers are varied and come on a tray with bread. Among them was a marinated apricot stuffed with goat cheese, shrimp, and other great stuff.
Main course was choice of beef and tuna. We had tuna which was the best I've ever had.
Desert was flan and chocolate (choice).
With a few beers and a glass of the house rose, the whole deal was only 54 Euros or so.
The restaurant is very small and tables close together. Had wonderful conversation with nearby diners. Very few tourists, in fact the couple next to us wanted to know how we found the place. Well, Fodors, of course.
Thanks again universitylad, for a great tip.
PS: only one nearby smoker, later in meal, so not a problem.
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:07 AM

Here is the link to Restaurant Stout!

http://www.restaurantstout.nl/index2.php?hoofd=1

Click on "kijk" to see images of the restaurant to get a feel of it.
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:16 AM
MaureenB

We really enjoyed Stout! a couple of years ago. Great food and service, and loved the contemporary atmosphere.
>-