Amsterdam Restaurants

Search

Amsterdam Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam Restaurants

I'm looking for some advice on where to eat in Amsterdam. I'm looking for good food (who isn't), at a reasonable price, and not too fancy.

Thanks!!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 08:54 AM

ttp
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 09:30 AM

Hi! Someone asked a similar question but didn't put Amsterdam in the title. Here's the thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34777791
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link, abbydog. I didn't find many specific restaurants mentioned, but did find a link to an Amsterdam on $40 a Day, which mentions a couple of restaurants. Hopefully I'll get some more suggestions here!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 12:28 PM

I hope you saw that I recommended Cafe de Jaren, which has a great view, good food, and reasonable prices! It was fun -- although many people will tell you your best bet is Indonesian food. Good luck!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

abbydog, I did notice your post about the Cafe de Jaren. In fact, I've even looked it up on the Internet and have bookmarked its web site. Thanks. It looks like a fun spot. I love getting recommendations from people about places they have really enjoyed.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Surely there are lots of you travelers out there that know of some good Amsterdam restaurants...
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 08:00 PM

We found the Casa di David restaurant in Amsterdam by accident and liked it so much we ate there twice. Wonderful. I had veal and my son had their homemade pizza. It's on the Spui Canal and their website is casadidavid.com. Enjoy.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you blondiepopo.

I tried clicking on the website, but only a black screen came up. Oh well, I'll try again in the morning. It's getting late. In the meantime, I've made note of your suggestion and really appreciate it.

Thanks so much!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:04 AM

Go to Google and type in - casa di david amsterdam. You'll see several websites about it. If you can't find it on a map, let me know and I'll look it up for you. We stayed at the Ambassade Hotel which is on the westside of the canals (Centraal Station being north), and it was only a few blocks from there. The front of it faces downtown (East). It was so good and the waiter was a hottie!!!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

blondipopo,

I did lots of research last night and found the address for Casa di David. I still wasn't able to get its web site to come up, but have the name and address on my "dining list" that I'm taking with us. We're staying at the Hotel Pulitzer, but it looks like there is a lot going on in the Spui area, so we'll definately head over that way.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:16 AM

What kind of food are you looking for. No doubt you most definately have to go to a rijsttafel, which is the Indonisian Rice Table. Though I cant stand Rachel Ray, she actually hits two VERY VERY GOOD PLACES on her show $40.00 a Day." Indrapurra is the rice table place and is excellant. There are numerous pannekoekan huis' but the best IMHO, and though a bit pricey, is the Pancake Bakery about two blocks from the Anne Frank Huis. Beware, there are going to be lines for Anne Frank and the Pancake Bakery...so go off hours. The Bakery is worth the wait and can be had at any time of the day. They are not your momma's pancakes...and are HUGE (almost crepe like). The sick human being I have, I actually have the place on speed dial on my intl. phone. The number (for calling ahead) is 020 625 1333. It is located, if I remember correctly, on the 150-190 block of Prinsengracht.

Be warned: AMSTERDAM IS A VERY CONFUSING CITY TO NAVIGATE...takes a few days to get comfortble even with its crecesnt shape. Luckily, your hotel (the Pulitzer) is not far from where the Huis is...and they give AWESOME MAPS (my first trip to the 'Dam found me in the Pulitzer looking for directions).

Now...depending on what you like...I can help you out a bit more. My best girlfriend grew up and still resides in the 'Dam and is a regularly foodie (from dives to the top restaurants). There are some really really cool places to eat in the 'Dam.

If you like jazz, Brix is a nice little live jazz joint. The food isnt knock your socks off, but it is "appetizer" style and you easily can order 6 or 7 b/w two people and be filled. The jazz is pretty darn good and is an eclectic mix from acid jazz to the standby classics.

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:33 PM

I have some suggestions in my trip report
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34773150
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:40 PM
MaureenB

We were impressed with the quality of cafes and restaurants in Amsterdam. We had no problem finding some great ones:

Two cafes on the same block as our Hotel Residence le Coin were wonderful: Café Katoen for a university atmosphere, and Café de Jaren, for great table seating on the canal. Street is Nieuwe Doelenstraat (sp?), I think.

Amazing dinners at two restaurants in particular (both about 25EUR apiece):
“Stout!”, at Haarlemmerstraat 73 (www.restaurantstout.nl). Fabulous ‘foamy asparagus’ soup with shrimp, chateaubriande, fresh fish, dessert course, wine list. Very trendy lighting. Great service. We’d gone to the neighborhood in search of a restaurant called “Lof” which we’d seen written up. We didn’t like its atmosphere, but were lucky that Stout! was just across the street.

Also at “Restaurant Dining Eleven” we had a great dinner. It’s at Reestraat 11. Also trendy and contempory, well-presented and beautifully-served meal.

Another nice dinner at “frenzi”, at Swanenburgwal 232. Very simple and contemporary. We arrived shortly after 10:00p.m., when most restaurants close in Amsterdam, and persuaded the owner to sell us any left-overs they had in the kitchen! They put together a nice Caesar salad with cooked-in-the-shell shrimp and mango. Very nice.

Also a good brunch at a place across the street from frenzi—called “Puccini”. Creative salads and sandwiches. Very nice also.

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:13 PM

Jeesh....I am slow today. I TOTALLY FORGOT the area by ALBERT CUPYERSTRAAT (the spelling is off...but I can get it). This area is formerly an enclave for immigrants. It was one of the last places to go the way of gentrification.

The area still has the outdoor market it is famous for, however after 1700 hours it turns into the hip of the hip. Think all of the areas in America that have undergone this type of change...and this is Albert Cuyperstraat (S. End of Boston, Alphabet City/Chelsea NY, etc.).

Along the side streets (look either way on ACstraat) you will find some of the most well priced and hip restaurants.

There even is a "CHOCOLATE BAR." I have to go find my journal, but there is an AMAZING tapas place located one block from the chocolate bar.

Definately check the area out...easy tram ride.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

I'm so excited to get more responses on my question. Thank you!! It looks like I'll be doing some more research tonight, and adding to my lists for dining and things to do/see. I've decided to print the lists out and take them along. Tim_and_Liz, I plan on reading over your travel report this evening. Right now I'm on my way out the door to meet with our tax guy. :'(

Thanks ever so much to all of you for your helpful suggestions.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:34 PM

I'm looking for someone to come on this forum and say they have used the *search this forum* feature above abd they still have a question. For Pete's sake, we've answered the Amsterdam restaurant question enough already. And when the question comes in asking for good food and a reasonable price and not too fancy are they talking about McD's or Wendy's or a place that costs twice or three times as much, or more. Do they want noodles or prime rib or salmon?

Just nevermind the questions that show no effort at all in having used the existing resources on this forum as a minimum before coming on with a question about as general as what kind of car should I buy.

Thanks!!

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:55 PM

"Just nevermind the questions that show no effort at all in having used the existing resources on this forum as a minimum before coming on with a question about as general as what kind of car should I buy."

Great post. Besides, when one walks around long enough looking at posted menus, they will eat.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 04:05 PM

No offense hopscotch, but I think you are way out of line. Right now, I happen to be in down time so I can peruse the board w/ no problems. Maybe NEVERMIND isnt in the same boat.

Maybe NEVERMIND has other things going on and instead of wasting precious time perusing the board, using search features, etc., they decided to come straight here for knowledge.

I know when I am super busy, I dont have time to "SEARCH." I have, however, had serious travel experience. If I came on asking for a "kitchen sink" answer, it doesnt make me, or in this instance, NEVERMIND lazy.

Settle down skippy.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 04:08 PM

And more to the point, if you noticed, NEVERMIND mentions reading abbydog's post.

You now should open wide and then insert foot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -