Amsterdam Restaurants

Sep 6th, 2001, 02:47 PM
Fran

Amsterdam Restaurants

We will be leaving for Amsterdam in 2 weeks. Any restaurant recommendations? We are adventurous eaters, and would be interested to know everyone's favorites.

Sep 6th, 2001, 04:24 PM
Ellen

I'd recommend going to an Indonesian restaurant and ordering "Ristafel" which I believe means rice table. You get served white steamed rice and about 10 or more different meat and vegetable dishes to accompany it. The portions of these items are quite small and it is fun to sample different items you might not order off the menu.

Ellen

Sep 6th, 2001, 04:26 PM
marj

there's a lot of good indonesian food there. Rijsttafel is several small dishes of different foods is one of the specialties. For Dutch food, there's a restaurant called d'vajff vlieghen (which mean 5 flies).

Sep 7th, 2001, 05:48 AM
Julie

Amsterdam is not what I'd consider a great gourmet city. We had to work pretty hard at finding good, interesting food while we were there in May of this year. I'm not into the Indonesian stuff so I can't comment knowledagbly on that but here's what I'd recommend:
Manchurian, a pretty Chinese place just off Leidesplein
Dynasty, another Chinese with umbrellas covering the ceiling. Nice decor, good food.
Brasserie Schiller in Scheller Hotel, on Rembrandt's Plein
Zuit Zeeland, a French/continental which was our favorite. Pea mousse with salmon tartare and truffled potato slices, scallop slices topped with smoked salmon, garlic encrusted lamb chops, etc. Great service. Small. Best to reserve.

Sep 7th, 2001, 06:01 AM
s.fowler

Here are 2 from my virtual tourist page.

L`Indochine
Excellent Thai/Vietnamese food in a very stylish setting. Everything was *delicious.* The service was attentive and friendly. It`s not cheap though! Beulingstraat 9 -- 020 627 57 55 Their website is http://indochine.nl/index.html

Van Puffelen
grilled salmon on a `bed` of creamy sauerkraut You enter the restaurant through the `proeverij`, or jenever [Dutch gin] tasting house, which, to an American eye, looked like the typical yuppie bar [except for the amount of smoke present!], full of Amsterdam`s youngest and well-dressed [dark expensive suits etc - women ALL in black:], but the atmosphere in the restaurant was relatively smoke-free and certainly more casual. [very few ties in evidence] The food was fairly `trendy`, including ostrich steak. The service was good, if a bit erratic in terms of who was responsible for what, but it was good-willed. The walls of the dark-walled room were full of interesting posters. From the tables around us it was clear that this was a place friends and colleagues came to enjoy good food in a serious [food-wise], but relaxed atmosphere. It feels like a French bistro without the attitude. It`s on our list for next time! Prinsengracht 375-377 -- Phone: 020/624-6270

http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.137511/1273/?s=h