Reload this Page >

Amsterdam - Marijuana info

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2001, 10:21 AM
Eurzulie

Message: Listen, I will be sole traveling with a 7 hour layover in Amsterdam en route to another destination, but I would like to know what the deal is concerning buying and smoking marijuana in Amsterdam restaurants or wherever, just during my short stay? I understand there are menus to order from...how does one ask for it. Will someone fill me in? I am not a drug addict, just a menopausal, mid-life mari-smoking female who enjoys the mellowness. For those women in the know, it also aids in keeping the mood swings at ease--husbands, boyfriends, your children, pets, et al. should be happy for that. Ha!! Please pass on the info. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 8th, 2001, 10:24 AM
xxx

Just go to a coffee shop, one with the Jamaican colors/flags, ask for a menu when you sit down, you will choose what kind you want and they will bring you some. They have papers and bowls and bongs to borrow.

Old May 8th, 2001, 10:31 AM
John

Eurzulie: <BR>Why do you feel the need to explain your reasoning for smoking pot?

Old May 8th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Joan

Eurzulie---note that there are two different kinds of "coffee" shops in Amsterdam. One kind actually sells coffee. They are spelled differently, but I forgot which is which

Old May 8th, 2001, 12:14 PM
e

Go to the coffeeshop Rookies. <BR>They sell pre rolled singles without tobacco added. DO NOT bring any out of Amsterdam <BR>cafe's do not sell pot only Coffeeshops. <BR>Have Fun.

Old May 8th, 2001, 02:38 PM
Buyer

I would not recommend buying anything from anyone on a street corner in Amsterdam though trust me, they will offer it. First of all, the quality and price are sketchy and you really REALLY don't want to get more then you need for the couple of hours you are there.. Don't even think about bringing any left overs with you to a neighboring country. <BR>The best/safest thing to do is to go into one of the local coffee shops, and ask for a menu. There are several on the Internet that you can check out...we went to the "Bulldog cafe" which is a big super commercial establishment... upstairs is a beer/drinking bar and downstairs was the MJ bar. We just ordered what we wanted and indulged in a legal part of the Amsterdam experience.

Old May 8th, 2001, 03:05 PM
Mrs. Man

Hi, I completely understand your need! I've been to A-dam several times and I travel alone (and am female). Most of the "coffee shops" that have the Rasta colors sell hash and weed. I've never sat down and asked for a menu, rather you walk up to a counter at most places (you can see the stuff in the display case sometimes) and ask for the menu there. I wouldn't get too smoked out if I were you, because your 7 hour layover will turn into a week that you can't recall! Also, be very careful if you plan on bringing some with you on a flight. If you were traveling via train it would still be risky, but flying is too dangerous, you might get busted. Just coming from A-dam is enough to set the Customs people off and suspect you.

Old May 8th, 2001, 03:21 PM
disgusded

another druggie question. go to lonleyplanet with this shit. this is supposed to be a travel forum not a forum for druggies. where the hell id the support for the keep this crap of this site- come on people lets hear it

Old May 8th, 2001, 03:32 PM
Capo

"disgusded" (sic): out of curiousity, would you feel the same way if someone was asking about buying & consuming wine in France?

Old May 8th, 2001, 03:44 PM
disgusted

capo it is not the same thing. funny how one can justify the drug spin to be ok.

Old May 8th, 2001, 03:48 PM
Thyra

Just an interesting side note: Marijuana was legal in the USA even when alchohol was illegal, and at first they didn't want to even outlaw the stuff since it was so common. I believe the official in charge of enforcing the anti-marijuana laws when they were first enacted, was horrified..."how can I outlaw a weed????" was his remark. <BR>What followed was an extensive propoganda attack on something that up until that time had been very innocuous and not very interesting. For a great many traveller's participating in legal/commercial marijuana/hash use while in Amsterdam is similar to the desire to drink a fine glass of wine in Italy or France, sample Guinness in Dublin, lager in Munchin or Whiskey in Scotland. It is an accepted and enjoyable part of travel to that country. <BR>The only drug I personally take is alchohol, would never even think of smoking pot in this country (USA), however when in Amsterdam where it is so commonplace and not stigmatized in the slightest, I would certainly try it. I add that since smoking is not part of my routine either here or abroad, it would be beneficial to ask the advice of others in a 'travel' forum to find out the safest/legal/and most acceptable way to enjoy a legitimate, if slightly unusual Amsterdam activity.

Old May 8th, 2001, 03:56 PM
Capo

"disgusded": So, based on your response, it sounds like you *wouldn't* feel the same way if someone was asking about buying & consuming wine (which, of course, contains alcohol) in France. <BR> <BR>Thanks, that's all I wanted to know. <BR> <BR>Thyra, great comments. (FYI, the man who was arguably the most rabidly anti-marijuana in the U.S. was Harry J. Anslinger, former U.S. Commissioner of Narcotics.)

Old May 8th, 2001, 04:46 PM
mike

Eurzulie, you can simply get on the train in AMS (I assume u are flying into AMS), go to the Central train station, and there are numerous "coffeeshops" within blocks of the train station. When in a coffeeshop, ask for weed that is "middle-of-the-road" so u don't get so blown away. When finished, just head back to the airport and catch your flight. Many of us here have done this routine many times. It is very straight forward. Have fun. Mike.

Old May 8th, 2001, 06:27 PM
Martin

Since you have 7 hours, I suggest getting around the city some. You don't want to spend your whole stay in a coffeeshop and the airport! <BR> <BR>Do some research on the web to find write-ups on coffeeshops (try a search of "Amsterdam coffeeshop reviews" or some such). Go to a place that's small, friendly, and mellow. Not big, unwelcoming, and noisy. Go up to the counter and ask for some advice on choosing your weed. The counter person should know all about his/her product -- how it tastes, how long the high lasts, how powerful it is. I agree with the advice to go for "medium" rather than something that will the knock you out. Medium weed in amsterdam is plenty good! Buy the smallest amount they sell. You aren't taking any on the plane with you. Don't buy pre-rolled -- it'll have tobacco in it -- yuck! There are packs of papers on the counter for you to roll a number with. If you always smoke from a pipe and have trouble rolling a joint, go to a souvenir shop first and buy cheap one (ask them to give you a screen for free). Some of the coffeeshops sell fresh-squeezed juice -- get some OJ to take back to a table. Get high, mellow out for a while, finish your juice, talk to some folks if it seems right, and then leave. If you are plenty high, you might as well just leave the rest of the weed there on the table. Alternatively, take it with you for a few more hits later on. Just be subtle, because it's rude to be obvious about smoking in public. <BR> <BR>Now you can check out A'dam for a few hours (figure on at least an hour and a half or so before your flight to be back at the train station so you aren't rushed). Things to do? A canal boat tour (catch it in front of the train station). Take a tram to the van Gogh Museum (terrific with a good buzz!). Walk around the canals in the historic residential neighborhoods -- have a map before you get to town. <BR> <BR>Enjoy!

Old May 9th, 2001, 02:11 AM
xyz

Important-don't wander about A'dam without a MAP, its very easy to get lost in even if you are straight! Train is as fast/faster than a cab. <BR>Quiet places : Rusland, Siberie, Kandisky (none of these sell alcohol). <BR>Quality is high. <BR>Prices depend on supply/demand rather than strength. <BR>So Nepalese temple ball costs much more than skunk bud which can be grown locally.

Old May 9th, 2001, 06:14 AM
Bill

It's a little hard to find, but the Paradox Coffeeshop was the one we went to. It's about two or three blocks from the Anne Frank House, just inside the Jordaan neighborhood (the tall spire of the Westerkirk is a good landmark.) Fits all the criteria mentioned above re small, friendly, and helpful, and it's in a good area for taking a nice walk along the canals. But if you are in a hurry, it might be more practical to find a place near Centraal Station. <BR> <BR>We don't smoke here at home, so it took relatively little to get us VERY high. But we just found a nearby bench along the canal, got some of the delicious fries from a vendor, and watched the world go by for a while.

Old May 9th, 2001, 09:30 AM
Martin

Here's an excellent Net guide to a lot of coffee shops. Good map for finding the places too. <BR>http://www.sensimillia.net/ <BR>

Old May 9th, 2001, 06:51 PM
Kelly

Eurzulie, <BR>Be careful. I got realy messed up in Amsterdam. I smoked too much, too fast and I never usually smoke pot. I thought I was going to die. I've talked to a lot of people though and they had pleasant experiences with it. I would suggest that you experience Amsterdam with out the drugs and if you want to smoke pot do it at home, so easy to get anyways.