Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam lodging suggestion needed (and other tips, too)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing a slight variation on the usual this year and will visit Amsterdam for a few days before heading to Paris. Need to find accommodation for two adults and a teen, two separate rooms. In trawling the net I realize that I am not familiar enough with the city to tell what to avoid and what to pursue. Don't need luxury, just clean and comfortable. Hotel or B&B would be fine. Would prefer to keep cost lower than higher (airfares are killing me!) but not sure what to expect in Amsterdam. We will arrive Schipohl Sunday morning, depart Wednesday mid day on Thalys. Appreciate suggestions and guidance from those who know about Amsterdam. Practical tips most welcome, too.
Old May 15th, 2010, 09:27 PM

We just returned from the Netherlands and Paris, and I'm ready to go back. Not at all atmospheric, but the view from the 17th floor over the harbor was stupendous, we stayed at the Movenpick in Amsterdam for just over $100/night for a double through Hotwire. It's near Central Station, which would be a plus for catching the Thalys (we took the Thalys/TGV from Amsterdam to Paris also). The hotel has a shuttle to/from Central. There's also a frequent tram a short distance from the hotel.

Don't miss having lunch at Singel 404 (that's the address as well as the name of the cafe). Wonderful sandwiches, lemonade, fresh juices, etc. Sit outside or inside. Also if you're at the flower market early, there's a whole street of cafes along the market where you could have breakfast.

Next time we're in Amsterdam, I want to find the stand that has fresh-made stroopwafels.
Old May 16th, 2010, 12:37 AM

We were very satisfied with the Hestia

http://www.hotel-hestia.nl/

It overlooks Vondel Park, and a short distance from Rijk and Van Gogh museums, good transportation links nearby . Breakfast and free wifi included. It's a very short walk to canal tours. Several lexcellent restaurants nearby
Old May 16th, 2010, 05:27 AM

I just stayed at Maes B&B in the Jordaan area, I'd say about 10 minutes' walk from the station and, oddly, I think about half a block from Singel 404 noted in a previous response. They have a wide variety of rooms, including a suite and an apartment that might work well for three people. Hosts are helpful, breakfasts delicious, and everything in walking distance (although we did take the tram to the Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum). And there are so many restaurants on the street we never walked more than two minutes to find dinner!

I'm not sure this will appeal to you, but my favorite thing about staying at B&Bs is getting fun tips from the owners and other guests. For example, a couple of Austrian women we met at breakfast recommended a walking tour of the Jordaan neighborhood that we immediately went out and booked -- and it turned out to be one of the highlights of our visit.
Old May 16th, 2010, 06:49 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Two areas we like ot stay in Amsterdam are the canal rings section and Jordaan.
Old May 16th, 2010, 08:15 AM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
We stayed at Hotel Nadia in Amsterdam last August and were very happy with our choice. It was inexpensive and in a good location just around the corner from the Ann Frank House - about a 15 minute walk from the station. Definitely nothing fancy or upscale, but basic and clean and friendly. Here's their website:

http://www.nadia.nl/index.php

We had the large quad and were delighted with the view. Here are some photos. Click on the right thumbnail to see the stairs, our room, the view from our room. They'll help you with your luggage if necessary. (Pack light!)

http://kbutler1122.zenfolio.com/p989...d4786#h2ce4225
Old May 17th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, folks.
The steps at the Nadia look like a deal breaker - we will be lugging bags for a subsequent longer stay in Paris and would rather not have to haul them up and down those estimable stairs, especially when Hotwire is offering a 5 star hotel in the central/museum district for 109/night.

Appreciate any more tips on places to visit/eat, especially any that would be good for an 18 year old girl.
Old May 19th, 2010, 07:20 AM

Seamus, are you planning to book through Hotwire? If so, please let us know the name of the 5* for $109.
Old May 19th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

If I do wind up using Hotwire I will most certainly post back here with details, Betsy.
Still welcoming suggestions for lodging and activities!
Old May 27th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

OK, it is settled - booked two rooms at the 4* NH Amsterdam Centre through Priceline. Got it for $80/night +tax&fees. The best Hotwire could come up with was $139/night so I decided to try PL NYOP.
Old May 27th, 2010, 08:42 PM

Wow, $80 per night...we stayed at the American Hotel across the canal for ... considerably more than that last May. Oh well, I have not learned to use Priceline. I think I need to do so.

Anyway, I think you will like the area. If you want to do the canal crusie, we did on our first day as an intro to the city, the dock is across from the entrance to the American Hotel. You can see the spire of the hotel from a distance so it makes a good landmark to look for when returning to the area.

Also across from the American Hotel on Max Euwenplein is Hard Rock cafe (you can see the sign) and in that complex are other places to eat, such as Wagamama, (noodle shop--it is a chain too, but tasty) and there is live music so it MIGHT be a place of interest for your 18 year old.
Old May 28th, 2010, 07:02 AM

Max Euwenplein - there is often an 'oversized' chess game going on there as well. The Mac Bike rental is just the outside of same plaza. If biking seems a bit scary (sure did to me!), you can backtrack thru Max Euwenplein and cross into Vondelpark to get your sea legs.

Next time we go, I am considering buying this pass, since it also covers the train from Schiphol into Centraal.
<>Amsterdam All-in-1 Ticket (you have to buy it at Schiphol)
Includes:
• return train ticket Schiphol – Amsterdam v.v (2 single tickets)
• 24, 48, 72 or 96 hours' unlimited travel on GVB's trams, metros, buses and night buses (a 24/48/72/96 hours disposable chip card)
http://www.gvb.nl/english/travellers...velTicket.aspx
Old May 28th, 2010, 07:12 AM

A few years ago we stayed at the Toro Hotel and loved it. It is a beautiful old house on a lake, and very inexpensive. The triple was huge. Gorgeous dining area overlooking the lake was the perfect location for a wonderful breakfast. www.hoteltoro.nl
Old May 28th, 2010, 09:03 AM

We liked the Hotel Residence le Coin It is a great location. The rooms are quite large and include a kitchenette. It is relatively new and very clean. Our two teens were with us, so we had a twin room and a double room, connected.