Amsterdam layover

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 05:46 PM
steph

Amsterdam layover

I have a 5 hour layover in the middle of the day in Amsterdam on my way to Paris. Any suggestions on what to do. Will I have time to take a bus tour of the city?

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 07:31 PM
David Herzer

take a train right at the airport to town; just walk around in an area within a mile of the train station and take in the views and people watch.Walk across a few canals and look at the back streets. Go in the area of the Ann Frank house.enjoy

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 08:43 PM
Capo

Steph, we've had similar layovers (4-5 hours) in Amsterdam on our last two trips to Europe. Unfortunately, since it was on our way over both times, we were pretty jetlagged and couldn't enjoy walking around as much as we would've liked. <BR> <BR>Anyway, it's very easy to catch a train from the airport into Centraal Station and, from there, you can easily walk pretty much anywhere within the "semicircle" of the four primary canals. The Jordaan is a cool little area with lots of cafes, southwest of the train station and, if you have time and the interest, the Anne Frank house is very moving. Have fun!

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 05:29 PM
debbie

Steph: Did this flight last year and took the train to Amsterdam. As soon as I got to the station I walked outside and took a small canal boat tour around the city. It was relaxing and gave you a brief idea of the city. I think the trip was one hour long and we had plenty of time to get the train back to the airport. I highly recommmend it.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Chet

The circle 20 tram makes a loop of the city,but I don't know how long it takes,You can ask the operator. You can catch it right out in front of Central station,after you take the train from the airport.We did this and really enjoyed it,but we also did the canal boat ride and it was very nice also. It is a great city to people watch.

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 01:25 AM
Sjoerd

The above is good advice. Just be careful on the train from Schiphol Airport to Centraal Station, this route is popular with pickpockets who take advantage of newly arrivals weary after a long flight. Have a nice few hours!