Reload this Page >

Amsterdam inexpensive lodging

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 05:54 AM
Triple-O

I'll be in Amsterdam for two days in mid-april and haven't reserved a hotel yet. Any suggestions for an inexpensive lodging near where a first-time visitor might be touring? <BR> <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR>

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 09:29 AM
dana

I am sitting here in Amsterdam right now. What is inexpensive to you? We spent 2 nites at the Dam Straat hotel which is a 2-star. The rate was 175 guilders per nite, which is about $90. We got 2 twin beds and a private bathroom. However, we were on the top floor (5th) and they had no elevator. It was tough, the top 2 flights were very steep and narrow. The only difference between 2 and 3 star hotels is the elevator.<BR>But, I will say, they had a good breakfast included in the price, the service was good, and the location excellent. We walked everywhere. You might want to consider staying in the Dam area.

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 04:37 PM
Triple-O

thanks, dana, for the on-the-spot report!<BR><BR>that hotel's right in my price range. i'll check it out. <BR><BR>ooo

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 01:41 AM
Sjoerd

Dana: 175 guilders is US$ 70.

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 07:17 AM
Triple-O

even better! any other suggestions, anyone?

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 09:07 AM
Jim Rosenberg

We enjoyed the Mercure Arthur Frommer, which was on a quiet street near a canal and within easy walking distance of popular destinations such as the Rijksmuseum, etc. Check with Northwest World Vacations on pricing and availability (drill in through www.nwa.com and you should be able to find an 800 number for NWWV -- you can't book it online through the site). I've booked hotels without air through them before. If that doesn't work, e-mail me and I will come back to you with contact information (direct phone #; address; photo of the hotel). Happy Trails.

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 12:45 PM
vicki

We stayed at GetLucky in Amsterdam last June. It was wonderful and inexpensive. Michael, one of the owners, is very helpful and the location can't be beat. Check their website at www.xs4all.nl/~getlucky. By the way, I'm a 45 year old woman that stayed there with my 3 teenage sons. It was perfect for all of us. Good luck and have a ball!!! Vicki