Reload this Page >

AMSTERDAM IN jANUARY

Search

AMSTERDAM IN jANUARY

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 09:27 AM
JOYCE

AMSTERDAM IN jANUARY

Has anyone been to Amsterdam in January?<BR>How is the weather?<BR>Can you still enjoy the city?

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 12:01 AM
kirikou

Amsterdam:<BR>-Yes.<BR>-Cold, sometimes windy, sometimes rainy.<BR>-Absolutely, but bring a warm jacket and an umbrella.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 12:45 AM
Jimbo

Hi, I'm also interested in going to Amsterdam, but in late Feb. Can anyone provide any tips, what to see, what to do. I'm an active 27 yr old, like walks, museums, art, bridges, water, beer. Cheers!

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 05:19 PM
eskint

i just came back from amsterdam. all the tour guides warned us not to come between november to march. lots of ice, lousy and dangerous weather.<BR><BR>anyway, be careful in amsterdam. several of us who met at the police station or at the us consul had a lot of horror stories. we were all robbed in different scenarios, within an hour after arrival. supposedly a wave of gangs from eastern europe is making rounds in amsterdam and paris. therefore, i advise that you have triplicate copies, distributed in different places, of all your documents including passport, plane ticket info, impt. phone numbers, contacts at home and in country you are visiting, credit card numbers and their phone numbers; calling cards, etc. do carry 2 extra passport photos.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 05:58 PM
James

Amsterdam is the most dangerous city in Europe. The city is run by the drug trade. You will be robbed. The addicts in January will be starved for drug money and you will loose everything. They will even rob you on the trains entering and leaving Amsterdam. Please take my advise. Stay away from Amsterdam.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 03:24 AM
frank

Warning - there is a troll currenly posting on all the A'dam threads.<BR>Weather in Jan is cold & rainy but in Feb it tends to be cold & bright.<BR>Jan is the only time the city slows down slightly (post newyear blues) but by Feb it is busy again.In summer it is too busy, Jan/Feb is a good time.<BR>Also its cheaper, look for deals on your hotel price.<BR>You will need a guide.NEVER walk in the city without a map.It is designed to get lost in.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 06:49 AM
jenviolin

Amsterdam is NOT the most dangerous city in Europe. In fact, it's one of the safest for walking around after dark. The city is NOT run by the drug trade. Who makes this stuff up, anyway? Pickpocketing can be a problem, as anywhere else, but nothing compared to cities further south. <BR><BR>Jimbo: you have listed some of the highlights of Amsterdam as your favorite things. You are going to have a great time. With a little luck it will be very cold and you can rent ice skates and skate on the canals. OK, with a LOT of luck (hasn't happened recently but we keep hoping!) Sounds like you should bring a camera and take gorgeous photos and make a personal collection entitled 'The Bridges of Amsterdam'. You should also rent a bike but be careful if the streets are icy. Head to Rotterdam for a few fantastic art museums and some great bridges; take a 'water taxi' across the river and under the bridge to the Hotel New York for a drink. Enjoy!<BR>