Reload this Page >

Amsterdam Hotels sold out - need help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 08:19 AM
Ann

I'm overnighting in Amsterdam Sept. 11 and am finding that hotels within 10 miles of the airport are sold out. Any suggestions as to where to stay. It doesn't have to be fancy, but nice enough to take my 80 year old mother.

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 10:11 AM
Sjoerd

Try Haarlem, Leiden, Utrecht or The Hague (Den Haag) which are all within 45 minutes of Schiphol Airport. <BR>

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 01:26 PM
Ann

Thank you for the suggestion. Do you recommend taking a taxi or a train from the airport to any of those areas? We arrive at 11:00 p.m.

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 09:05 PM
Sjoerd

Well, that depends on your preferences and luggage, and money! A taxi is of course more convenient, but all these cities can be reached by train from Schiphol. <BR>

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 05:10 AM
Traci

I was having trouble too for 9/10-9/14 and just yesterday (8/14) found a room at The Park Hotel. However, I will be somewhere else in Europe for the 10th and 11th. Good Luck!

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 10:14 AM
marilyn niles

Dear Ann, <BR>Unfortunately, I do not have a suggestion for a hotel for you,but I am responding to let you know that you have chosen dates to stay in Amsterdam while there is a HUGE trade show going on.It lasts until the 13th of September, I believe.

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 01:07 PM
Ann

The Park Hotel is booked also, but thank you for your help. I found something at the Vondelpark Youth Hostel in Amsterdam. It took some phoning and paying for membership in International Youth Hostels, and it may be dormitory style sleeping arrangements but my mother will appreciate not sleeping in an airport. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 01:36 PM
Daniel

Ann, <BR> <BR>I had the same problem when my itinerary changed and I had to find new dates for Amsterdam. I searched for literally DAYS before I found a rather pricey resort hotel far outside the city. Haarlem and environs was also fully booked when I checked. However, as I have not yet cancelled my original reservation (will likely do so in the morning 8/16 EST) at Hotel Maas in the museum district, you might try there. Unfortunately, my reservation was for September 10 and not the date you specify. <BR> <BR>Meanwhile, I found the place I got by calling the Netherlands Tourist Board. They directed me to a site called "Bookings." I don't have the web address handy, but try a search under Bookings NL.