Reload this Page >

Amsterdam hotels reservations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 10:44 AM
Elizabeth

Hello out there again, I really need help I've selected 4 hotels I am consider to make reservations with in Amsterdam. Can anyone give me any advice here? They are all in the price range of 160-190NLG($80-95 which fits our budget)for a double with en-suite wc/shower, tax and breakfast included.The first is HOTEL HESTIA-3 star, second HOTEL ASTERISK-2 star, third HOTEL SMIT-3 star, and lastly THE BRIDGE HOTEL-3 star. If anyone has any information on these hotels or can recommends a place similar it is greatly appreciated. Does anyone have an opinion on the difference between a 2 star and 3 star hotel? Does it rate just what facilities the hotel offers or does it also rate the quality? Thank you very much

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 04:49 PM
KT

Re the stars: Although the official Benelux hotel ratings sometimes take note of subjective quality (e.g., a 4-star has "luxurious atmosphere," the ratings are mostly based on facilities. They standards don't mention the quality of a 2-star versus a 3-star; rather the things that distinguish the 3-star include things like all rooms having private bath, phone, full-length mirror(!), writing table, and the hotel serving drinks. <BR> You can find a description of the standards by searching for a hotel on the Netherlands Tourist Board site http://www.visitholland.com/find/indexfin.html and then clicking on the blue box with the "h" and stars on the hotel listing. (Maybe somebody else knows a faster way to access them.) <BR> In reality, there is often some correspondence between the stars and the quality. For example, a really funky hotel is obviously less likely to have only private baths, an elevator, etc., than a posh hotel. On the other hand, the cleanliness, condition of furnishings, quality of service, atmosphere, etc., can certainly be higher at a nice hotel with basic facilities than at an unpleasant hotel with more amenities. <BR> BTW, as a budget traveler, I have very limited real-life experience with anything higher than 2 stars. <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 07:19 PM
erwin

Hi Elizabeth, <BR> <BR>When I was in Amsterdam last week, I stayed in this one-star hotel (Hotel Schirmann) just across the Central Station. Since it is only a one-star hotel, there were very few facilities but for a budget traveller like me it was acceptable since I was always out of the hotel. <BR> <BR>One thing I did not like is the absence of elevators because I still have to walk a long hall and climb two I think I advise you to take the two-star hotel. What I like best is the location since it is near the Central Station and the other areas are just 5-10 mins away by tram. So it is a personal decision you have to make. <BR> <BR>Good luck and happy trip. <BR>

Old Apr 9th, 1999, 05:18 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I would try to stay a few blocks from the Central Station. Hordes of Europeans (mostly young) come into Amsterdam via train on the weekends for sex, drugs and drink. So it's quite the party atmosphere as most hit the first few bars outside the station (not that a party atmosphere is a bad thing - its just sometimes hard to sleep through). Also, unfortunately, since most tourists come into town via the Central Station, this is where most of the bums/junkies hang out to solicit for money. Not dangerous, just annoying. <BR>Aside from the above, I think Amsterdam is one of the most entertaining and beautiful cities in the world. Have a great time! <BR>

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 01:51 PM
Elizabeth

I am so greatful for the wonderful responses, but I am desperate to get specific information on the hotels in my initial post. Or at least to get some idea of the neighborhoods they are in. Two are close to the Vondelpark and one is near the Carre'Theater on the Amstel. Do any of these areas sound familiar to anyone? They are several blocks and possibly then some from the Central Station.