Amsterdam - Hotel choices - which one?

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 12:13 AM
liz

Amsterdam - Hotel choices - which one?

Luckily, there are rooms available in Amsterdam for next week. However, could someone please let me know if they have stayed in any of these hotels and what your opinion is? Thanks. I'm travelling solo BTW (in case anyone can advise if one place is less safe than another). I've already done a search on this site and haven't found these listed. I appreciate any and all help. <BR> <BR>Hotel Ambassadee ($130 per night) <BR>Hotel Toren ($89 per night) <BR>Hotel Estherea ($156 per night!) <BR>Acro ($80 per night) <BR> <BR>These were the ones that had availability as of tonight. I need to make a decision by tomorrow (10/21/01). Thanks!

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 03:33 AM
Lisa

Liz <BR>I read some positive comments on this board in regard to Ambassadee. <BR>Check them out. How did you get such good rates?

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 04:10 AM
Mikki

I stayed at the Estherea 18 mos ago. It is a good location for walking to Anne Frank house, flower market, shopping. It is not close to major museums. The area seemed very safe, request a room facing the canal. As I recall the breakfast was included in the price. I hope this helps you make a decision.

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 05:09 AM
Bill

The Toren is excellent, especially at that price. Great staff; great location. It's in to separate canal-house mansions, a few door apart. The rooms are smallish, but quite nice.

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 06:58 AM
Merriem

Well, we spent a miserable week at the Ambassade, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Please e-mail me, if you are interested in reading my full review of this miserable hotel.

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 07:34 AM
Betsyq

Liz, <BR>I've stayed at the Toren as a single travelr and I would stay there again. The price you got is excellent. It is beautiful and in a beautiful location right near a tram line. It is not right in the thick of things however. It is a about a mile's walk to Leidesplein (sp?), but as I said the tram is there. A very safe neighborhood to be coming home to at night.The only warning I'd give is not to leave the windows open at night, no screens and many mosquitoes, though I suppose in October you probobaly won't be leaving them open anyway.

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 09:09 AM
Patrick

Merriem, I am interested in seeing your full post about the Ambassade. We have stayed there twice, once for a week, once for five nights, and will be staying there another five nights next summer. Would love to hear what you didn't like. My only complaint is that the breakfast is overpriced -- but we have a favorite place for great coffee and pastries which we like better anyway. Otherwise we love the Ambassade. <BR>Since there have been many favorable comments on Fodors about the Ambassade, I think you would be doing us all a favor to post your opposing comments here.

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 09:42 AM
Rhonda

Liz <BR> <BR>I'm surprised you haven't had any luck with your search. I've personally responded to a thread regarding both the Ambassade and the Estherea. <BR> <BR>I've stayed at the Estherea twice and the Ambassade once. We absolutely loved the Ambassade. I too would be interested to read Merriem's report because next time we go to Amsterdam I would definitely have stayed at the Ambassade. <BR> <BR>The Estherea has some nice rooms and some very small rooms. Both times we paid for a canal room (deluxe I think they call it) for £130 (November 12 last year if I recall) and the second time the room was postage stamp size with an even smaller window if that is possible. We had booked and confirmed way in advance and advised that we were travelling with an infant. We asked to be moved (because the infants cot was right up against a heater) and they weren't at all helpful. So I phoned the Ambassade who fortunately had rooms available (much much nicer and less expensive). I too wouldn't bother with breakfast in the hotel (although I've eaten breakfast at both hotels..preferred the ambassade again). Like Patrick I'd eat at one of the many cafes. As for the location, either the Estherea or the Ambassade are well located. <BR>Enjoy your time in my favourite city. <BR>Rhonda

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 11:47 AM
Merriem

This is my review of the hotel, and I hope it all fits on here. Actually, this will work better. Just highlight this link, and paste it, and you can read how we felt about this place. <BR>http://epinions.com/content_7590481540 <BR>Please remember this was our opinion. Merriem <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 11:50 AM
Merriem

Sorry bad link, try this one <BR> <BR>http://barneywin.epinions.com/content_7590481540

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 03:28 PM
Martin

OK, Merriem, I read your review. Let's see if I got this straight. <BR> <BR>First of all, you thought the furniture was too shabby. Second of all... hmmmm; there really ISN'T a "second of all", is there? <BR> <BR>Noisey people walking along the canal at night? Don't think the hotel could do much about that. Narrow staircase? It's a very old townhouse, which you knew when you booked it. Construction work in the morning? Sounds like bad timing. I don't think they'll always have construction. Going to an adjacent building for breakfast? Poor baby! Trying to charge for breakfast when you thought it was included? Sounds like they straightened it out to your satisfaction. <BR> <BR>You said "when I think about a suite, the association of luxury comes into the picture." Well, when I think of a suite, the idea of TWO ROOMS comes into the picture. If you thought you were doing to get a "luxury" suite for that price in that part of Amsterdam... well, dream on. <BR> <BR>And THEN they gave you a partial refund for the indignity of having to live with old furniture and a "small TV". Sounds to me as if you did alright for yourself. $250 for a 2-bedroom suite in an historic canal house in a nice part of the city, breakfast included, sounds pretty good, and they gave you some of that money back! I think you have a lot of nerve to trash them with one star in your review.

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 04:12 PM
Rhonda

Liz <BR> <BR>Regarding the Ambassade..I've read Merriem's report and was really surprised. I've stayed in two of their rooms (no. 52 and then no. 10 I think) both of which were amazing. Number 10 was outside of the main building and up a very narrow flight of stairs. It had its own kitchen, a nice bedroom,lounge, bathroom and even a dining area. The furniture was beautiful. No. 52 (if I remember correctly) was in the hotel itself had a canal view was of a good size, adequate bathroom and once again quite nice furnishings. We were there in November and I don't remember it being noisy but maybe we had our windows shut. I'm not disputing Merriem's information maybe she just got a dud room. Maybe you could ask if some rooms have been renovated and others not. As I mentioned in my last post...we have had good and bad experiences in the Hotel Estherea. One room can vary quite a lot from another in these canal houses...it isn't like a chain hotel where each room is pretty much the same as the next..Good luck.

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 04:28 PM
Surlok

Great observation, Rhonda, so true. Nearly all rooms in european hotels are different in size, shape and sometimes even amenities. Just the modern buildings may have similar rooms. <BR> <BR>It's likely this diversity of rooms in the very same hotel what makes one traveler rave about a particular hotel, and others, not. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 05:48 PM
Patrick

Thanks for posting the link to the review, Merriem. I guess we aren't all alike. After reading your review I suspect you would have preferred a luxurious new Hyatt or Marriott in Amsterdam with their stock, gleaming new furniture and no "surprises". But I love the fact that no two pieces of furniture in the Ambassade match, yet all seem to be of quality (albeit sometimes more old than true antique). The fact that one sometimes weaves up and down levels or tiny staircases between the numerous original townhouses which have been joined together is half of the charm of the place to me. I'd rather have that than the boring long straight corridors of modern hotels. I'm not sure why you thought breakfast was included, it has always stated clearly on every piece of advertising or mail I have received from the Ambassade what the price of breakfast is --even clearly spelled out on their website. Sounds like you got a good deal by complaining. But back to Liz, who has been offered a room there for $130. I say grab it fast!!!

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 06:36 PM
Merriem

Well, the first poster after I kindly let you read my review was very rude to say the least. My feeling about hotels, and I have stayed in many, is that I want what I pay for. For $250 it shouldn't have looked like it did. As to the comment about the attempt to charge for breakfast, I don't know when you were there, but breakfast was included, and said so in my confirmation. Frankly I do not have to excuse my personal feelings about nice hotels, because it is my money. We stayed at the Park Hyatt in Sydney, one of the finest in the world and had great service, and friendly staff. That is more than I can say for this hotel. It also was LESS than $250 a night, and that was high season. Another great hotel is the Park Hyatt in Buenos Aires, for $200 including breakfast and all taxes. So, I rarely post on this board and was only trying to be helpful to the person that asked the original question, so perhaps she had some class and didn't want to stay in a dump. If I could delete my post I certainly would. I will keep my opinions about hotels elsewhere from now on. Merriem

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 07:34 PM
The rude person

Merriem - <BR>I suspect (based on your review and subsequent comments) that you are sufficiently opinionated and self-centered that you will keep providing us with your thoughts. <BR> <BR>Calling a place a "dump" because it's in an historic old house, and continuing to whine even after the management caved to all of your demands doesn't strike as the hallmarks of someone with "class". <BR> <BR>To compare the price of a suite in an Amsterdam canal house hotel with historic charm to a single sterile room in a Hyatt in different country is rather nonsensical. <BR> <BR>The original poster should note that every person EXCEPT Merriem seems to think that the Ambassadee is a great place to stay.

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 10:18 PM
liz

Guys: <BR> <BR>Thanks for responding to my post; it is greatly appreciated. I will probably be staying at the Toren even though they've told me it's an incredibly small room with no view at all (maybe a closet?). I don't spend all that much time in my hotel room, and it seems that this is centrally located and clean which is great. However; I may end up at the Ambassadee one night as well. I appreciate your responses. Thank you. For those of you who asked about the prices, I just emailed the hotel directly and asked what their prices are for late next week. Must be the good exchange rate?

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 05:02 AM
Patrick

Merriem, please don't run away mad. We (at least some of us) fully appreciate your review and your thoughts. You have made it clear that your tastes are different from mine. I'd much rather stay in an old, charming townhouse than in a spectacular modern hotel, but that is simply my choice. When you first said you hated the Ambassade it raised a red flag. Your concerns are valid for you, I'm just glad that now we know how to put them into perspective. We stayed there first in 1995 and again in 2000. Will be staying there again in 2002. We love it. If a Park Hyatt for example would be available in Amsterdam at an even lower price than the Ambassade, we'd still choose the Ambassade, but you have every right to prefer a Park Hyatt. Your review just makes more sense now that we know your taste. It's sort of like someone saying they hated the food at some great restaurant and posting to avoid it, then letting us know it was because they are vegetarian and the restaurant specializes in beef.

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 06:37 AM
Sandy

We stayed at the Acro in May 01 and it was very near the Rijksmuseum (about a block away). The desk personnel were helpful, spoke perfect English, and the rooms were spotless. But, the rooms were VERY small. <BR> <BR>They were however, well appointed with lots of hooks, shelves, mirrors, built-ins. Our room (w/bath, hairdryer) had color tv w/remote and the rate included breakfast. <BR> <BR>Since we don't spend much time in our room, the price and location are perfect for us. We'd rather spend our $$ on great food and souvenirs. <BR> <BR>I've been to Amsterdam twice before and the hotels I stayed in were a whole lot more expensive and still about the same small size. When I return, I'll definitely make plans to stay again at the Acro. <BR> <BR>Good luck and have a great time! <BR>Sandy

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 06:54 AM
marj

we stayed at the estherea march '00. i can't speak for the other hotels, but we loved the estherea. the location is very convneient and very near some great restaurants. The breakfast there was also very good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -