Amsterdam Coffeeshops

Jun 9th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Amsterdam Coffeeshops

The last thread on this was from last year.
We are going in Sept. and I am looking for some more recent info.
What is your favorite coffeeshops (cannabis ones) and why?
Are there any new ones worth checking out?

Thanks
Jun 9th, 2009, 07:25 PM

Last time we were there we went to Grey Area. Quite small, but they are famous for having a diverse and very high-quality selection. We were quite pleased at how the counter guy took the time to provide friendly advice about the characteristics of the different varieties. The very few tables were already taken, so we didn't stick around. It's on a narrow pedestrian-only street (Oude Leliestraat) just off the Singel Canal, near the Jordaan neighborhood. Here's their website:
http://www.greyarea.nl/
Jun 9th, 2009, 07:27 PM

They are all good! There are so many to choose from. Even the head shops sell pot too.
Jun 9th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

I just watched Rick Steves on local channel 5 taking about decriminalizing pot.

I wish
Jun 10th, 2009, 11:05 AM

In all honesty there are no bad ones. There are some that aim purely at the British Tourist Market (Excalibur, Bulldog, Grasshopper) which are basically pubs that sell Bob Hope. Avoid if that doesn't sound like fun.

There are some that are aimed at the hun too (no idea which ones - I wouldn't want to be stoned and surrounded by the master-race. It would give me the heebie-jeebies.)

Other than that they're all much of a muchness (they all buy their gear from the same place).
Jun 10th, 2009, 11:45 AM

My favorite chain for years has always been Rokerij. Aside from quality smokables (not that it differs so much from any other place in that respect), I generally like the decor. Each one is a bit different, one having more of an African theme, one more of an Indian theme, etc, but all are bathed in candles and soothing lights and usually there's some kind of nondescript loungey music playing that really relaxes me. My favorite part is the vast selection of loose tea they offer; 2 of the ones I've been to literally have like 15 kinds. I love tea, and they have some of the best coconut tea I've ever tasted, as well as plenty other flavors....So if you're into enjoying a nice cup of tea in a relaxing setting (with or without a joint) I definitely wouldn't miss them.

Abraxas has always been a favorite of mine too. It's just funky and cool inside and maybe I just have a lot of good memories there. But I love it.
Jun 10th, 2009, 12:03 PM

I liked The Rookies near Leidseplein area. A pool table, beer drinking kind of atmosphere. But that was awhile ago so no more current than the other threads you found.

Let's Go Amsterdam (small guidebook) had what I found to be very accurate coverage on this subject, broken down into the various neighborhoods, types of places, and their clientele and products.
Jun 10th, 2009, 12:43 PM

Check out Styx and the "amnesia"
Jun 10th, 2009, 04:19 PM

My all time favorite coffeeshop in Amsterdam is the Bluebird, located at 71 St. Antoniesbreestraat, just south of the Nieuwmarkt. The last time I was there was in 2004, so some information might have changed.

There's a little sitting area downstairs when you walk in, and you have to go upstairs to make your purchases. Chained to the wall are several looseleaf notebooks with samples included that acts as the menu. It's kind of fun to page through and check out all the varieties. They also have a selection of drinks (non-alcoholic) and food (I think the menu changes depending on the current help). They usually play a good selection of music. I remember the first time I walked into the Bluebird in 1997 they were playing Frank Zappa. There's also a sitting area upstairs. In fact, one of my favorite spots in Amsterdam is at the end of the counter, looking out the front window which overlooks the 17th century skull-laden gateway to the Zuiderkerk, and watching the passing people on the street below. If you go there, have a smoke for me.

I can also recommend Dutch Flowers and Barney's Breakfast (but I don't think he serves breakfast anymore) in Amsterdam, and if you happen to travel to Haarlem, check out Willie Wortel's Sinsemilla

Here's a link to an online Amsterdam Coffeeshop Directory:

http://www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com/index.htm

Have fun, and bring your own rolling papers.

Robyn
Jun 10th, 2009, 09:00 PM

... and roll your own or you'll get a tobacco/pot mix ...
Jun 11th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the replies.

Of the ones mentioned I have gone to Barneys and Rookies.
Sad to hear there is no more Barneys breakfast.
We had fun there in 2001.

Suze, I found the Rookies was a very easy going place.
If you have guys with you, they will like it too.

Artstuff,
Is there room for 4 people to sit at the window in Bluebird?

Cholmondley_Warner,
What is Bob Hope and hun too?

I also really like the Katsu in the Pijp. Have anyone been?
The 3 times I have gone, there has been the same gal working. She makes the better lattes.
Surprisingly, like Dobermina said,
they actually have great tea and coffee choices.

It will be a challenge to try and check out as many as you have recommended
Jun 11th, 2009, 07:43 AM

>>>Cholmondley_Warner,
What is Bob Hope and hun too?<<<

C_W is obviously so stoned that he has not noticed yet that the war is over (for 64 years now).
Jun 11th, 2009, 07:57 AM

I liked Rookies because it just seemed like an ordinary bar... with benefits! Not kinda intimidating like Bulldog seemed to me at a glance.
Jun 11th, 2009, 07:57 AM

"... bring your own rolling papers...."

Better yet, buy a cheap little pipe at a tourist shop before you go to the coffeeshop. (Make sure they give you a free screen with the pipe!) Just my personal opinion, but if you're in Amsterdam you might as well smoke the best, and (unless you're a hard-core smoker) a joint is probably a good bit more than you'll want to consume.
Jun 11th, 2009, 11:38 AM

At the Rookies they gave it too you premade in a cute little To-Go vile, so you could save some for later!
Jun 11th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

I think buying a pipe beforehand is good advise as I hate tobacco and dont want any in joint.
Jun 11th, 2009, 11:58 AM

Other than that they're all much of a muchness (they all buy their gear from the same place).>

a rather naive outlook that flies in the face of reality - there are major differences between what are strictly tourist coffee shops and ones patronized by locals - or ones patronized by in the know foreign pot heads (like the Green House and its branches)

and to say they all get their cannabis from the same place is again someone commenting without knowing what they are talking about.

Indeed coffeeshops tout which providers they may get their pot from - much like Starbucks does coffee.

Stuff in tourist-oriented shops may label something and it means nothing

but in shops frequented by aficianados shops are careful at maintaining their reputations, etc.

pricing is also different - with the more 'commercial tourist shops like the Bulldog Palace charging more (what the traffic will bear) and requiring you to buy larger quantities.

shops out of the city center are more likely to be consumer-conscious IME and even ones in the thick of tourist Amsterdamned that appeal to afficianados can be so too

but to say they are peas in pods and get all their stuff from the same place is IMO not knowing of what you talk.
Jun 11th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

I am sure there are different vendors that provide.
Most is grown locally, correct or no?
Jun 11th, 2009, 05:47 PM

I must agree with BaltoTraveler about using a pipe. We've found cheap ones at the Waterlooplein Flea Market, which is just around the corner from the Bluebird. A joint is best smoked when it can be shared with four people, otherwise it's just too much smoke. And don't forget to ditch the pipe before you get on the airplane. DO NOT bring it home if you have used it.

The Bluebird has a really good selection of hash, so I usually travel with a pin and a piece of mat board so I can smoke it under glass.

Is there room for 4 people to sit at the window in Bluebird?
There's room for four at the counter, but only the person on the far end has the good view out the window. I guess you could keep switching seats.

I have been able to gather from my "research" visiting many coffeeshops in Amsterdam, and sitting in "my spot" at the Bluebird, that there are three different time periods that occur in most shops. The morning/early afternoon period is the most laid back and less crowded, and you have a better chance of talking with the dealer about your purchases. Between 4:00pm-7:00pm traffic really picks up as the locals get out of work, and make a quick stop & purchase before they head home. In the evening, the younger crowd comes out, and it can get very crowded.

Most is grown locally, correct or no?
Technically, marijuana is still illegal in the Netherlands, it is only tolerated. So likewise, growing it is also illegal, but tolerated if done in small quantities. I think most of the pot is grown by locals who have converted a closet in their home into a grow room where they can grow a nice supplement to their income.

Robyn
Jun 11th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

I prefer to get Hash instead of pot since I cant get it in USA.

Looking at each places menu is interesting..
All the different names are fun. AK47. Terminator..Purple Haze

I remember talking to one coffeeshop employee.
She said that it is pretty mellow most of the time compared to bars in the area.

Personally I am much more rowdy when drinking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO