Amsterdam budget lodging??

Oct 6th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Amsterdam budget lodging??

I am looking for budget lodging, twin room. Will be staying 4 nights in August.

Need a safe area, outside of the Red Light District or unsafe areas. Good Public transportion necessary.
Oct 6th, 2008, 08:17 AM

www.kaphotel.nl

This is where I stayed. It's a 3-star hotel near-ish the Leidseplein area. A nice breakfast is included in the room rate. You can get there from the airport easily using the Connexxion bus service. Besides that I walked everywhere, but there are certain trams around too.

Oct 6th, 2008, 08:18 AM

I stay at and highly recommend San Luchesio - a former monastery that now takes in guests - private rooms with showers but shared WCs - no TV - reflecting the monastic bent which still pervades the place. In a very safe and very neat and quiet place at the northeastern end of Vondel Park - trams run a few blocks away. An unlimited breakfast - young owner was associated with the monks that used to own it but when they got too old sold it to him - a great guy - prices for Amsterdam are great - about 40 euros with breakfast. Owner says in summer you must reserve months in advance.
Oct 6th, 2008, 08:51 AM

Hotel San Luchesio Amsterdam
The 'San Luchesio' hotel in Amsterdam is a small and cosy hotel near the City Centre. We are situated in a very quiet and safe area. ...
www.sanluchesio.nl/uk_index.htm
Oct 6th, 2008, 11:28 AM

But what do you mean by 'budget'???
Oct 7th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

It looks like the St Luchesio is closed?? Not accepting any reservations.

I am a little flexable on "budget" but ideally would like around $100 US, I don't know if it's even possible.
Oct 7th, 2008, 06:54 AM

These are often recommended ('tho I have no personal experience with them):

http://www.hotelbrouwer.nl/

http://www.nadia.nl/

http://www.hotelfreeland.com/
Oct 8th, 2008, 08:49 AM

San Luchesio sadly is closed effective today i think. Gone forever web site says
Oct 8th, 2008, 05:26 PM

You probably know this but $100usd is only 73 euro.

Quite honestly I would not be willing to try that price-range in Amsterdam, especially as you are so specific in your other post about not wanting to encounter drug culture or be near the RLD.
Oct 8th, 2008, 05:35 PM

Yes, even I must have thought you typed 100 euro rather than $$. From what I've read in reviews, really low-priced hotels in Amsterdam are pretty scuzzy-sounding. I find the city's choices to be a tad more expensive than other places we've been.
Oct 8th, 2008, 05:36 PM

last year my grandaughter and I spend 4 days at the Brower.

The location is great,all the rooms face the canal, the place is very clean, good breakfast and most of all is very economical.Is not a fancy place, no tv.The staff are very friendly.

I highly recommend it and for the price is a true jewel.
Oct 8th, 2008, 08:20 PM

I have been lucky a couple times getting a great rate at the Eden Amsterdam (formerly Best Western Eden Amsterdam) in August. This is an excellent location. Also the Best Western Lancaster would be a decent choice (a little less central, but in a nice neighborhood and quite workable).
Try these sites:
http://www.edenhotelgroup.com/
http://www.hotelscombined.com
http://www.kayak.com

Also take a look at www.hostelworld.com and www.hostelz.com - you probably don't want a dorm bed, but these also list lower-cost private room alternatives at hostels and B&Bs.

Through booking.com, we got a great rate on our last visit at the Armada hotel. The bathroom was good, and the room was clean, but the beds were low-quality. But based on the reviews, not everyone gets beds like that. But their rates have also gone up too.
Oct 8th, 2008, 08:24 PM

A good budget hotel in a totally safe area that is just a mile from the heart of Amsterdam is the Hotel BEMA, run by an American lady last time i was there. Impossibly steep stairs like in most budget Amsterdam hotels but clean, decent place - right near the Concertgebouw, on the northern end of Museumplein - a calm area.
Oct 9th, 2008, 07:22 AM

Bema Budget Hotel
www.bemahotel.com

Concertgebouwplein 19
1071 Amsterdam, Amsterdam (Noord-Holland), Netherlands
+31 20 6791396
Oct 9th, 2008, 08:22 AM

I agree with the other comment that Amsterdam hotels just seem more expensive for what you got (compared to Paris, for example).

Even Hotel Kap where I stayed and suggested first, is about as basic as I'd be comfortable with, and double rooms there are 83 to 98 euro per night.
Oct 9th, 2008, 08:43 AM

I think a problem with old small hotels in Amsterdam is that the edifices they occupy are not conducive to creating a modern hotel - narrow unfathomably steep stairs are typical in the budget hotels i've stayed in - no room for elevators, etc. and older plumbing, etc.

And don't judge any of these hotels by their lower floor lobbies IMO
Oct 9th, 2008, 09:07 AM

You probably know this but $100usd is only 73 euro.

Quite honestly I would not be willing to try that price-range in Amsterdam

Try Priceline. I got the Movenpick Hotel (not the greatest location, but certainly not horrible) for $100, recently.
Oct 18th, 2008, 02:48 PM

I stayed at the Hotel Brouwer in August/September 2008 and the have new flat screen TV's. Free Internet, good breakfast and friendly staff.
Oct 18th, 2008, 03:05 PM

I forgot they also have an elevator! I paid 60 euros for a single room.
Oct 18th, 2008, 07:28 PM

I quite liked the Prinsenhof, which is on the canal and just steps from a tram stop. However, you have to be able to cope with steep stairs, and with having the shower and toilet down the hall. But rooms are 69 euro for two people. See www.hotelprinsenhof.com/hotel/info.html.

Search this Thread