Reload this Page >

Amsterdam - Best time to visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 12:01 PM
Hal

Was wondering if I could get some pointers on when the best time to visit Amsterdam would be? I am taking into consideration (mainly) prices on flights and hotel rooms. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 12:59 PM
Sjoerd

Before Sept 11, the only low season left in Amsterdam was second week of January - end of February. If low prices for flights and hotels are your main goal, that time of the year is probably still the best. <BR>Of course, days are short in Jan/Feb and it can be cold, grey and miserable. But if you are lucky the weather can be nice: cold but sunny and blue skies.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 01:26 PM
Meg

We are visiting Amsterdam this year during the week between Christmas and New Year's. We got a great deal on tickets from New Orleans (less than $400). We visited last year in February and loved being there in the cold weather. Since we don't really get much of a winter here, it was a great change for us - but, if you're from a cold place, it may not be for you. The hotel room was higher than what we usually pay, but we are staying over New Year's Eve. We have also gotten good airfare deals in the fall.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 02:42 PM
Call me a

The best time to visit Amsterdam is after one is old enough to walk but before one has any inhibitions.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 06:57 PM
Meg

Cynic - <BR> <BR>Well put.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 09:36 PM
Larry

As a compromise I like the first weeks of April. The flights from the West Coast USA are about $100 more than the lowest January and February prices but are nowhere near mid summer prices. <BR>The tulips are in bloom and as it turns out in the last 20 years April has been the driest month of the year.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 02:30 AM
james

The Dutch Queens birthday is celebrated each year on either 29th or 30th April when the City shuts down for a massive city-wide street party. I was there quite by co-insidence a couple of years ago, and I'll certainly go again, It's a real blast.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 04:18 AM
Sjoerd

James: Queen's Day is every year on the 30th of April, except when the 30th is a Sunday and the celebrations are on the 29th. I also love the Queen's Day celebrations but they are only recommended when you like HUGE crowds. (about 700,000 people street-partying from 9 AM until 10 PM)